Damaged: A Novel (A Rosato & DiNunzio Novel)…

Damaged: A Novel (A Rosato & DiNunzio Novel) (edition 2016)

by Lisa Scottoline (Author)

Member:Effinghamlibrarynh
Title:Damaged: A Novel (A Rosato & DiNunzio Novel)
Authors:Lisa Scottoline (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2016), Edition: First Edition, 416 pages

Damaged by Lisa Scottoline

DNF 35%!

Damaged's blurb made the book out to be really interesting and thrilling. However, it turned out to be a silly story with a naive and irritating main character. Mary just doesn't seem to be a very competent lawyer and the whole wedding businesses is ridiculous and boring to read about. And, the characters felt like silly caricatures from her colleagues to her friends. I should have known something was amiss when I learned that the lawyer she would be facing in this book is named Machiavelli. Seriously, that's his real last name.

I'm sorry, I have a lot of books to read and this one just didn't rock my boat! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
I don't read thrillers often but I so enjoyed this legal thriller, Damaged: A Novel (A Rosato & DiNunzio Novel), by Lisa Scottoline. I read one other of her books so when this came up on Simply E I decided to try it and I liked it. There is a twist at the end which I won't share but makes it rewarding. I like the trial scenes. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Dec 24, 2016 |
Mary DiNunzio becomes the champion for a ten-year-old boy accused of attacking a teacher’s aide. The dyslexic child has fallen through the cracks and now the shy fifth grader is a target for bullies.

Emotionally attached to the young boy, Mary soon finds herself pitted against the fiendish Nick Machiavelli who is determined to win a settlement in the case. When she finds herself at odds with her associates, her fiancé, and social services, Mary feels alone in her struggle to save Patrick. Will her emotional involvement blind her to essential facts in the case? Can Mary succeed where others have let Patrick down? Can she find the objectivity she needs to succeed when those responsible for providing the support Patrick needs failed? And what price will she pay for her determined defense of the young boy?

Compelling characters and well-researched situations will pull readers into the story from the very first page. Readers will find themselves absorbed in the intricate, heartbreaking story that twists and turns, building tension as it careens toward its unexpected ending.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Sep 23, 2016 |
Mary DiNunzio is getting married in two weeks, but she still has time to get involved in a sad case affecting a young boy with learning disabilities. Edward O’Brien hires Mary to defend his grandson, Patrick, after the child is accused of attacking his teacher’s aide, Steve Robertson. Robertson is being represented by an awful lawyer named Nick Machiavelli, who drives Mary crazy while trying to live up to his ancient namesake's reputation.

Before long, the situation worsens and Mary becomes even more attached to Patrick. Patrick is one of the most endearing characters I've read about all year. He's very vulnerable but is also intelligent despite his learning disabilities. Some of her decisions seemed a bit naive, but if you've read other stories featuring this character you already know that is typical. I always enjoy meeting up with Mary's large Italian family, especially the “three Tony's”. They have a great part in this book dealing with the Columbus Day parade.

This is a fast-paced and compelling mystery with plenty of provocative twists and turns. I usually enjoy this author's standalone books more than her legal series, but I thought this was a nice combination of both. The story line was interesting and had some unexpected plot twists that I never saw coming. It can easily be read as a standalone book. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Sep 23, 2016 |
Damaged by Lisa Scottoline is a 2016 St. Martin’s Press publication.

This fourth installment in the Rosato and DiNunzio series is a solid legal thriller blended with a powerful and emotional family drama.

Mary DiNunzio is in the midst of pulling together the last minute details of her wedding, when she is approached to handle the case of a middle grade boy named Patrick, who is being sued for assault, when in fact he is a victim.
Patrick’s only family is his aging grandfather, who is bewildered by the entire episode, and worried sick about Patrick, who suffers from anxiety and dyslexia.
Mary is determined to see this case through for Patrick’s sake, but soon finds out her opposing counsel is none other than the notorious Nick Machiavelli, which only sweetens the challenge for Mary, until the unexpected happens and Mary’s professional life clashes with her personal life, while Patrick’s fate hangs in the balance.
I love Mary and Anthony’s big Italian family, and how they infuse humor into this emotional story that had me dabbing my eyes a little. Anytime family court is center stage, the frustration leaps off the page, because it is so hard to see children ground up by the convoluted system, where bureaucracy trumps common sense.

My heart ached for Patrick, but Mary refuses to back down and fights for him tooth and nail. In the process, she uncovers more than one motive and could find herself in serious danger.

While this story is rooted in legal hearings, and drama, both personal and professional, there are also a few spine tingling moments of suspense and even a little action.
While the answers in these cases are never easy, I loved how everything worked out in the end and closed the book with a big smile on my face.

Overall, this is a wonderful addition to the series.

4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Sep 18, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,089,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible