Help me, Jacques Cousteau by Gil Adamson

Help me, Jacques Cousteau

by Gil Adamson

This is the story of Hazel's family, which is full of eccentrics and deeply strange happenings. It has been described as a short story collection and as a novel, and it does feel more like a series of vignettes about the family from Hazel's childhood to her adulthood. The details are wonderful, and I found myself snickering quite a lot. This may be one to reread and savour. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 19, 2017 |
what this book seemed to lack for me was a story line. It was a well written book with lots of atmosphere, but although thngs happened it did not in the end distill into an actual story.
since writing this it has ben pointed out that this is not a novel but short stories which contain many of the same characters, still think nothing happened.
  jessicariddoch | Jun 15, 2011 |
At first I was unsure about this book. Was it a collection of disconnected short stories?The writing is simplistic and this became infectious very quickly, almost poetic. The characters are well realised even without extremely vivid and detailed descriptions. These snippets of a girl's life are revealing, humurous and at times touching. A short read indeed, but a worthwhile one. ( )
  polarbear123 | Feb 19, 2011 |
Clever writing, but I wasn't engaged. ( )
1 vote picardyrose | Apr 18, 2010 |
After reading Outlander by Gil Adamson last year, I looked for more novels by Adamson. Adamson's debut novel, help me, jacques cousteau is a fun, quirky, offbeat collection of linked stories about the life and times of Hazel, her younger brother Andrew and the colourful cast of characters that comprise their extended family and neighbors. The stories are told from the POV of Hazel, as she maneuvers through the minefields of her parent's and grandparent's squabbles, her brother's 'silent period' and her own struggles to try and understand those awkward teenage years.

If you enjoy the writings of M.A.C. Farrant, Carla Gunn or Miriam Toews, you may enjoy this book, which has been described on the back cover as 'a funny and poignant portrait of an offbeat family'. ( )
1 vote lkernagh | Feb 28, 2010 |
Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens. - TALKING HEADS
I see the long, heavy sofa come skating across the linoleum and I step out of its path.

With her multiple-award-winning, bestselling, and critically acclaimed novel The Outlander, Gil Adamson established herself as one of North America's preeminent fiction writers. But ten years before The Outlander Adamson published another book of fiction with a small press, and writers, readers, and critics immediately sat up and took note. With this new updated edition, Adamson’s fascinating portrait of a young woman’s coming of age is ready for readers once again. Help Me, Jacques Cousteau presents the life and times of Hazel, who is born into an extraordinary family alongside her brother Andrew. Hazel’s experiences, at once odd and completely believable, involve a diverse cast of family members who share only one thing: a penchant for eccentric behavior. In portraying a strange, compelling, dysfunctional family, Adamson demonstrates her powerful prose style, uniquely combining a scientist’s loving attention to detail, a comic’s unerring delivery, and a poet’s sublime ear.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:52 -0400)

Hazel introduces her extended dysfunctional family in an updated edition of this coming of age novel filled with extraordinary and eccentric characters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,714,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible