Amish Firefighter by Laura Hilton

Amish Firefighter

by Laura Hilton

Wow! This pretty much says how I feel about reading this book. This is the first Laura Hilton book that I have read and look forward to starting many more of her books. This is such a well written, heartwarming, exciting, Christian filled adventure. I could go on and on about this book. Having been a firefighter and married to one it was neat to read about an Amish firefighter.
Abigail has had her world turned upside down. She has been sent away to live with relatives she doesn't know and is trying to come to grips with all of this when a barn fire occurs. This fire is arson and she has found herself right in the middle of it. Unfortunately she is also being blamed. Along comes Sam Miller who is also dealing with change in his life. He is a volunteer firefighter, EMT, and medic in training. He is determined to find this arsonist and put a stop to him or her. When Abigail and Sam meet there is an instant spark that they may not be able to ignore. I will not give any more away so you will have to read to find out more of this amazing story.
I recieved this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review. ( )
  soccermom15 | Jul 22, 2016 |
This is the first Amish fiction I've read and I honestly wasn't expecting the intense drama, romance, and professions of faith. Since I'd grown up a county over from Holmes in Ohio I did have a few preconceived notions going into it. I'd seen bits of Amish life on the farms that invite visitors and tourists (a huge cottage industry, btw) and what I saw there was plain and tame. That is not the case here. The barn fires weren't the only things smoldering on these pages and there was also the mystery of who was setting the fires as well as some long buried family secrets to reveal. I don't think I'll be the first or the last to call this a real page turner.

I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
This was a fast paced Amish novel.i think this is the first Amish novel I read that has a volunteer firefighter in it. Abigail kept being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Each time she is found by Sam Miller. Abigail is sent away from her home because of something that happened in the past. It wasn't even her past that caused the problem. I received this book from Celebratelit for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jun 12, 2016 |
This is another outstanding book from a very gifted author. I loved this book so much, I read it in one day. Yes it is that good. It is not the typical feel good Amish story where everyone is happy and helps out. What it is though is a very intriguing book filled with shunning, accusations, mystery and an unforgettable story . Ms. Hilton delivers a very captivating story of characters that came to life.

Abigail has for some reason been sent to her aunt and uncles place to live. What would it feel like to one day wake up and be told you are no longer welcomed at your home? She is very confused by this, but of course obeys her family . She somehow gets mixed up with a group from the new town that seem to have trouble follow them wherever they go. Unfortunately one night while out with her friends, Abigail is somehow accused of a barn fire. There have been a rash of these devastating fires in the town and well you know the saying, Being at the wrong place at the wrong time. " How will Abigail convince a town that she just moved to that she is innocent of the fire?

Perhaps Sam can be of some assistance to her. He is a firefighter who seems to be positive that Abigail had something to do with it. I loved how the author wrote such strong independent characters who compliment each other well. As they get to know each other, you can feel the attraction come to life with gentle words of affection and a concern for each other's well being . Are there secrets in the town that could explain why Abigail was sent there? Does Sam have a past that he doesn't want anyone to know about? Well as the saying goes, " Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive ."

The book was outstanding and I love the Amish words and their meaning at the beginning of the book. The book captures the true meaning of forgiveness, intrigue and a bit of romance that keeps readers glued to the story.

I received a copy of this book The BookClub Network and Celebrate Lit for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | May 11, 2016 |
The Amish Firefighter by Laura V. Hilton
Always fascinated by the job firefighters do and hope to learn more about that in this book.
Book starts out with a gloassary of Amish terms used-this will be helpful to reference when the words are used in the book.
Abigail Stutzman is trying to follow her new friend Mirancda and she discovers the barn they were in is on fire. She hopes to put it out but she stumbles and falls on the ground herself.
Sam Miller is an EMT and volunteer fire fighter when he runs into Abigail and assumes she started the fire. They alert others and both help to put the fire out as she tries to escape but Sam finds her and so does his father. Lots of action. Bit hard to keep track of all the characters til you realize their connection.
He tells Sam not to accuse her ... he does find out more details of the night of the fire while they are having a snack at McDonalds while waiting for his beau to finish her shopping. We learn more about why she's at her aunts house and not at her house in Ohio and his friendship with PJ.
Interested to hear the talk of a real American teen, the slang used and how foreign it sounds to the Amish. Then again some of their words are foreign to us-Americans.
Also what goes on at the church service, during and after. Shame she fell and ended up in the ER where she found out more news from home. She and Sammy had talked about how everybody in town knew she'd be there, at least a month before she even arrived. She's told to trust her mother but nobody will explain what happened.
Just when things are going well with them both, they like each other, events are brought to the forefront and you wonder if they can ever get past them...prayers from everybody to help overcome the hurt and shame..
I received this book from The Book Club Network (bookfun.org) in exchange for my honest review ( )
  jbarr5 | May 9, 2016 |

A Beautiful Young Woman Banished from Home: Abigail Stutzman thought it was bad enough being dropped at the nearest bus station and sent to live several states away with some relatives she'd never heard about, much less met. But now, just a week after her arrival in Jamesport, Missouri, she finds herself at the scene of a barn fire--an intentional barn fire. And all fingers are pointed at her. She?s desperate to prove her innocence and protect her reputation, but nobody's making that easy to do. And God certainly doesn't seem willing to help. A Brave Firefighter with an Agenda of His Own: Sam Miller is in the process of turning over a new leaf. Determined to atone for the follies of his past, he is a volunteer firefighter, an EMT, and a doctor-in-training. When local barn fires escalate, everyone suspects arson. And since the Miller family is among the victims, no one is more determined to see the perpetrators brought to justice than Sam. A Kindled Flame Neither One Could Have Anticipated: When their paths first cross, at the site of a barn burning, the emotional intensity rivals the warmth of the flames. Soon, they must decide whether this fire is one they should feed or extinguish. And they'll discover that the truth can prove more dangerous than a blazing inferno.Abigail Stutzman has been banished from her home, sent to live several states away with some relatives she'd never heard about, much less met. Just a week after her arrival in Jamesport, Missouri, she finds herself at the scene of an intentional barn fire-- and all fingers are pointed at her. Sam Miller, determined to atone for the follies of his past, is a volunteer firefighter, an EMT, and a doctor-in-training. When local barn fires escalate, everyone suspects arson. And since the Miller family is among the victims, he is determined to see the perpetrators brought to justice. When their paths first cross at the site of a barn burning, their emotional intensity rivals the warmth of the flames.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,363,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible