Writing a Book Review by Rebecca Graf

Writing a Book Review

by Rebecca Graf

411,664,912 (5)None

To begin with I believe I’m a decent Book Reviewer, well that’s the impression I get when I look at my profile here on Amazon. I know I’ve already one book on writing reviews which I’d won through an internet giveaway, this time I downloaded a copy using Amazon Unlimited.

I didn’t start being a Book Reviewer, I started as an author almost four three ago, and currently have two self-published books. I began reading/reviewing books as a way of increasing my writing ability by seeing how other authors write their books, especially romance; believe me, it has helped.

Being a Book Reviewer myself I can say Ms. Graf has done a wonderful job in telling her readers what a review actually is and how to write one that is decent, while at the same time avoiding any of the pitfalls many reviewers can fall into, such as writing one which is negative without including any positive criticism. Remember what your mother told you: “If you can’t say anything nice about a person, don’t say it.”

She also gives examples of what a review should look like/should include. There are several kinds of reviews prevalent on sites like Amazon, GoodReads and LibraryThing; and they run the gamut from quick one sentence jobs to those are filled with spoilers [giving away the plotline/detailed information about the book].

Remember, the real function of a review is to whet a potential reader’s interest in the book; that they’ll wind up buying a copy. One of the things I try to do in my review is to personalize it or to give a reference to a movie or even a song which came to my mind as I read the book, which someone reading the review might also be able to relate to.

Becoming a Book Reviewer doesn’t have to cost any money. Many authors looking for reviews of their books use giveaways. The unfortunately thing is while they hope to receive a review for each book they’ve given away, they seldom get it. So if you happen to receive a book through a giveaway, kindly write a review for the author in return. And if you do write a review for such a book, there is a FTC regulation which states you need to disclose this information somewhere in the review, and state that the following/above has been your honest opinion.

I didn’t expect it, but after a while I started to get requests to review books. Many of the books didn’t interest me in the least, and being an author I knew how they’ll feel if I would refuse their request; so I posted an entry on my blog saying that I only review those books I’ve either won through giveaways or have gotten myself. So if you’re considering becoming a serious Book Reviewer, then consider doing something similar.

How can you tell if you’ve written a good review?

One of the ways is the response your review gets on the site you’ve posted it on. You should also tell the author that you’ve read their book and the sites you’ve posted the review on. The TOUGHEST critic a reviewer can ever have for a review they’ve written is the author themselves. Many authors are happy you’ve contact them about your review, and they’ll tell you that in their response; as well as what they thought of it.

For educating others in becoming a book reviewer in a clear, concise manner, I’ve given this author and her book 5 STARS. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Jul 21, 2016 |

Rebecca Graf is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,604,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible