Sojourn: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 3…

Sojourn: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 3 (Forgotten Realms: The Legend of… (original 1991; edition 1991)

by R.A. Salvatore

Member:CosmicPariah
Title:Sojourn: The Dark Elf Trilogy, Part 3 (Forgotten Realms: The Legend of Drizzt, Book III)
Authors:R.A. Salvatore
Info:Wizards of the Coast (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Sojourn by R.A. Salvatore (1991)

English (16)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
Okay... quickly blowing through the unavoidable need to justify my thoughts.

These are fun books. Not great books, but in the context of your "straight down the middle fantasy" they are good books. I read them first in highschool many years ago. I wanted something right to read while I'm working weird hours, and going to sleep by 5 in the afternoon. Something where if I forget most of what I read the day before, it wouldn't matter. So I'm burning through this series again.

Here are some thoughts.

When I read these books the first time I was playing D&D pretty regularly. I'm not now (unfortunately, if anyone is looking to put a group together and you want a middle aged white guy with self esteem issues who works stupid hours and has a habit of cancelling social engagements because his reclusive life in IT has caused his burgeoning social phobias to blossom into full blown phobias - give me a call).

What I'm noticing is that these books are written like someone took a D&D character and wrote a story about them. That's almost kinda fun if you play, or played D&D.

(Possible spoilers, but if you've made it it to book three I really really hope not)

Like Drizzt's globe of darkness or levitation as innate drown abilities. Or when something takes a +1 or better weapon to hit.

But there are times when it makes the books feel a bit clumsy. And I imagine even more so for someone who hasn't played D&D. For example, is Sojourn Drizzt begins his career as a ranger. D&D players will go "ohh, he get's an affinity with animals, a racial enemy, and tracking abilities". And in the books, all those things happen. But they kinda just happen. The animal handling/empathy for example. Works prefectly fine in the context of a D&D campaign. But in the context of a novel, a dark elf who has always lived underground, in a city most of his life, then in the wilds killing most of the creatures he came across, suddenly being able to calm wild beasts seems a bit out of the blue.

Not a huge deal, but it's there.

Here's another reason to start with the other trilogy (The Icewind Dale trilogy, that comes after these chronologically, but were written before the Dark Elf trilogy.) Continuity isn't perfect. Nothing plot breaking. But when you go from the Dark Elf trilogy into the Icewind Dale trilogy you notice them. On the other hand, they are small enough that if you read the Icewind Dale trilogy first, which takes a littel bit of time telling you aobut Drizzt's past, by the time you circle back to the Dark elf trilogy you'll have forgotten the details that don't match up.

Okay. Like the others. This was a fun book. It has some issues, but I don't think it's aspiring to be anything more than a fun book. ( )
  JohnnyPanic13 | Jan 25, 2014 |
The icewind Dale trilogy was one of my favorite reads that I couldn't remember from back when I was younger. I always wanted to get back to it and see why I liked it then. Before doing so I decided to read The Dark Elf trilogy to get the full back story before I got back to it. Boy was I glad I did so. I enjoyed the first two volumes but this third one was by far the best one.

Drizzt ventures to the surface and encounters many hardships and trials as a result. The story moves along fast as he encounters new challenges down every path he chooses. Some of the friends he makes are some of the story's strength. The relationships developed strengthens Drizzt as a whole and I can't wait to start the next chapter in his story. ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |

smcamp1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
Aye, I be enjoying these books a lot. ( )
  morbusiff | May 9, 2013 |
It ended well, and set me up for the Icewind Dale trilogy (Brian). Hurry up mailman!

I confess I was a bit disappointed that he did not have more contact with surface elves and that he did not hook up with Dove's group, but we can't have everything! ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
It is time for me to acknowledge the two people whose belief in me and whose creative influence helped me to make Drizzt’s tales possible. I dedicate Sojourn to Mary Kirchoff and J. Eric Severson, editors and friends, with all my thanks.
The dark elf sat on the barren mountainside, watching anxiously as the line of red grew above the eastern horizon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786940077, Mass Market Paperback)

Now in paperback, the third installment in the classic tales of the Legend of Drizzt. When a lone drow emerges from the Underdark into the blinding light of day, the Forgotten Realms world will be changed forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:53 -0400)

Drizzt Do'Urden emerges from the underdark into a world of eye-searing light and bizarre new creatures - a world teeming with life and almost limitless danger. For a dark elf born into the ruthless matriarchy of Menzoberranzan, the World Above can be a confusing place, but it can also be a place of second chances, new beginnings, and unimagined friedships. All he has to do is live long enough to convince the surface dwellers he means them no harm.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,453,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible