lost trademark by R. C. Savoie

by R. C. Savoie

2None2,551,640NoneNone
Recently added byBertha_, Ermina

No reviews

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 151682296X, Paperback)

In the publicity stunt of the century, the small but ambitious company Syngularity Incorporated purchases the naming rights to a couple’s unborn son. The company names the baby after itself. When both parents die within two weeks of Syngularity's birth, the company wins a U.S. Supreme Court battle to adopt the infant, making him the first and only child raised by a multinational corporation. He grows up on the company premises, and eventually becomes its official logo. As Syngularity himself tells it –

"Since the whole publicity stunt naming-me-after-the-company thing was nothing but the best in creative advertising, and I was now Syngularity Inc.'s legal offspring, the executive board figured why not make me its official image as well? This was the implicit desire behind our relationship anyway, to humanize the company, give a face to the corporate body, the smiling joy of Ronald McDonald or maternal welcome of Betty Crocker."

Narrated by Syn (Syngularity) himself, lost trademark follows Syn's life from his unique childhood to adulthood through corporate towers, bacchanal parties, road trips, celebrity cults, LSD trips, graffiti runs, and campfires with the homeless under a Hollywood 101 overpass - along the way exploring what identity can mean in a world so oppressed by image.

What people have said about lost trademark -

“When DBC Pierre won the Man Booker Prize in 2003 with Vernon God Little, the judges called it 'a coruscating black comedy reflecting our alarm but also our fascination with America'. DBC Pierre is an Australian who grew up partly in Mexico. I remember thinking, 'shouldn't an American be doing this, writing wild, ungainly, far-reaching contemporary satire'? Along comes R.C. Savoie. Problem solved."
- Morgan Meis, The Smart Set, 3 Quarks Daily

“R.C. Savoie’s lost trademark is as poignant, hilarious, and razor-sharp a critique of corporate and celebrity culture as I’ve come across in years. The world he’s created is as frightening as it is familiar, and should be entered with caution. Glass chins stay clear, este vato is dealing knock out blows!”
- John Murillo, author of Up Jump the Boogie

“You want postmodern? How about post-postmodern? lost trademark is alienation with a song and a dance.”
—Tod Davies, Exterminating Angel Press

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 12 Jun 2016 12:56:17 -0400)

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,838,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible