The Watermelon King by Daniel Wallace

The Watermelon King

by Daniel Wallace

Magical realism that didn't seem very magical to me. I read it because I got it free when I worked at Houghton Mifflin, otherwise I don't think I would have bothered given that I read Big Fish first and wasn't really on the lookout for anything else by the author. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is terrific storytelling! and I have to agree with the Boston Globe which calls it "part fable, part social commentary, part lampoon....[about]the love of tales and the need for truth." That about sums it up. 12/06 ( )
  avaland | Dec 20, 2006 |

An endearing, often outrageous blend of fable, tall tale, and page-turner, The Watermelon King brings readers to Ashland, Alabama -- the fictional town immortalized in Daniel Wallace's Big Fish -- whose reputation is based on the long-ago abundance of watermelons. Thomas Rider knows almost nothing about his parents, only that his mother died the day he was born in Ashland. He travels there in search of his past, learning of the town's bizarre history. Gradually with the help of an offbeat, utterly unforgettable cast of characters, Thomas finds himself immersed in a series of events that turns everything he knows upside down. Comic, poignant, and wholly original, The Watermelon King is a magical novel steeped in the power of identity, myth, and good old-fashioned southern storytelling.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:38 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,314,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible