Can You Keep a Secret?: A Fear Street Novel…

Can You Keep a Secret?: A Fear Street Novel

by R. L. Stine

Can You Keep a Secret? Is the latest Fear Street novel by R.L. Stine. Emmy, Eddie, and their friends (Danny, Riley, Callie, and Roxie) decide to party out in Fear Street Woods. Emmy and Eddie sneak off from the group. Eddie is going to carve their initials in a tree. While over there they find money stashed in the tree (turns out to be hollow). Before they can decide what to do, the rest of the group finds them (and the money). They agree to take the money (several of their families are experiencing money problems) and hide it in a safe place (in the pet cemetery). But when one of them needs the money, they find it is gone. Who took it and why? Each teen turns on the other. Then they discover someone is following them. Could it be the owner of the money? Are any of them safe?

Emmy is having these strange dreams about wolves and they coincide with attacks in the area. Her Aunt Marta from Prague comes to visit and tries to help her. Aunt Marta remembers Emmy being bitten by a dog while visiting in Prague when she was a child. What happened to Emmy? Is she a wolf?

Can You Keep a Secret? by R.L. Stine was not the scary book I was looking forward to reading. I found it predictable especially the wolf subplot. I knew the twist before it was revealed. One thing that I did not enjoy was the drama between the sisters (Emmy and her younger sister, Sophie). I give Can You Keep a Secret? 2.75 out of 5 stars. The book would more suitable for young adults (tweens) except for the gore and violence (geared toward older readers). This book was not what I was expecting from a Fear Street novel and R.L. Stine. Can You Keep a Secret? has sibling jealously (and rivalry), romance between teenagers, jealousy, and greed. With the right writer, they make a compelling novel. Unfortunately, they just did not come together in this book. I found Can You Keep a Secret? to be a very contrived novel.

I received a complimentary copy of Can You Keep a Secret? From NetGalley in exchange for an honest evaluation of the novel. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jun 5, 2016 |
Can you Keep A Secret (Fear Street #4)
By: R. L. Stine
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Copy Courtesy of Goodreads Giveaway
Reviewed By: tk

Well can you?

Eddie and Emmy know all about secrets. Even their relationship could be considered a secret. It all begins when these sweethearts join friends for a one night camping trip in the Fear Street Woods. Once they settle around a fire for the night they experience the sounds of the woods…
Reports of a killer wolf has these teens spooked. Could it be lurking in the dark, waiting for one of them to leave the safety of the fire? Eddie and Emmy are the first to walk down the path to another clearing for a little time alone. What they discover will shake their young lives forever.

Stine hits it out of the park once again. This story is for the young and old alike. A great story of young love, betrayal, and loss is only a taste of what you will find inside these pages. It can be read in a couple of hours, but you will wish for a much longer version. I have always found Stine’s stories to be extremely entertaining. My son is grown now and I must read them still. A talented, imaginative, awe inspiring author of our time.

5/5 ( )
  doseofbella | Apr 11, 2016 |
An easy read, and probably well-suited for the YA crowd who likes a little bit of a scare, a tad of romance, and an end with a twist. It took me longer to read this one that it should have, but I found it easy to put down. However, it's a good choice for the middle-school set. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Mar 16, 2016 |

Eddie and Emmy are high school sweethearts from the wrong side of the tracks. Looking for an escape from their dreary lives, they embark on an overnight camping trip in the Fear Street Woods with four friends. As Eddie is carving a heart into a tree, he and Emmy discover a bag hidden in the trunk. A bag filled with hundred-dollar bills. Thousands of them. Should they take it? Should they leave the money there? The six teens agree to leave the bag where it is until it's safe to use it. But when tragedy strikes Emmy's family, the temptation to skim some money off of the top becomes impossible to fight. There's only one problem. When Emmy returns to the woods, the bag of money is gone, and with it, the trust of six friends with a big secret.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,156,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible