Land of Shadows by Priscilla Royal

Land of Shadows

by Priscilla Royal

Note to self: always check a book's position in series before requesting from Netgalley … I didn't realize that this was the twelfth book in its series … That may account for the feeling of being lost at sea that prevailed through much of the reading. Obviously, I haven't read any of the rest of the books, so my opinions are all based on taking this by itself.

Have you ever noticed how once you learn a new word you seem to see it everywhere? This book does something like that, only different: once I noticed that characters had blushed three times in just a handful of pages, for odd or silly reasons, it seemed like that was all I could see as I read on. Not just blushes – lots of characters' faces turned all kinds of colors.

Thomas flushed.
Thomas felt his face grow hot.
Her face turned pink at his kindness
He blushed.
Eleanor flushed with anger.
Walter’s face now faded to a dull pink.
face flushed with shame.
Richard turned as pale as milk.
the heightened color of his lord’s face,
his face turned a light shade of purple.
The knight turned pale.
The man was as pale as moonlight.
He flushed
Maynard blushed again,
He turned purple with profound humiliation.

I don't think that's all of them, but it's most of 'em. And it's plenty. When something like that recurs over and over, it might be a sign that the writer needs to find a new way to express her characters' emotions.

I liked the story – murder and anti-Semitism in 1279 England, and … well, yes, Goodreads description, of course this is going to bring Brother Cadfael to mind when it's set in a medieval English abbey, though I would have gone with Sister Frevisse. But I found the details confusing at times; this time my excuse for choosing a book in the middle (late middle) of a series – did I mention that this is #12? – is that I missed that bit in the Netgalley description. It was obvious – there were half-formed references throughout the book that obviously meant nothing to me.

This was another book that took a lot longer to read than it ought to have. The muddle left by my cluelessness of the previous eleven books' events, along with some slightly clunky writing and a heaping helping of head-hopping to add to the confusion … Someday I would be interested in tracking down the other eleven and starting at the beginning. I don't recommend starting here.

The usual disclaimer: I received this book via Netgalley for review. ( )
  Stewartry | Feb 12, 2016 |

Priscilla Royalprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cheung, Patrick HoiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the Lord pondereth the hearts.

-- Proverbs 21:2 (King James version)
A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rachel weeping for her children, refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not.

-- Jeremiah 31:15 (King James version)
To Sharon Kay Penman
Inspiration, mentor, friend
With love and gratitude
Baron Adam of Wynethorpe opened his eyes.

A royal birth, a nobleman’s death, a scarlet woman’s murder… In March, 1279, Edward I takes a break from hammering the Welsh and bearing down on England’s Jews to vacation in Gloucestershire. The royal party breaks the journey at Woodstock Manor. And there one life begins as Queen Eleanor labors to birth a new daughter, and one draws to an end when apoplexy fells Baron Adam Wynethorpe. Hotfoot to the baron’s deathbed comes his elder son, Hugh, a veteran of Edward I’s Crusades, who can’t shake off the battle horrors he’s witnessed. The baron’s daughter, Prioress Eleanor, has already arrived, bringing along both her sub-infirmarian, Sister Anne, and the monk, Brother Thomas, to tend her father. Awaiting Hugh is his bastard son, Richard, a youth filled with rebellion…and a secret. The royal manor is packed with troubling guests including a sinister priest, an elderly Jewish mother from nearby Oxford mourning a son hanged for the treason of coin-clipping, contentious and greedy courtiers, and a lusty wife engaged with more than one lover. Quite soon, the wife is found hanged. Eleanor and Sister Anne persuade the High Sheriff of Berkshire that Mistress Hawis’ death was not a suicide. In fact, many at the manor had reason to wish Hawis dead. One suspect is…Richard. [retrieved 3/8/2016 from Amazon.com]

A royal birth, a nobleman's death, a scarlet woman's murder... In March, 1279, Edward I takes a break from hammering the Welsh and bearing down on England's Jews to vacation in Gloucestershire. The royal party breaks the journey at Woodstock Manor. And there one life begins as Queen Eleanor labors to birth a new daughter, and one draws to an end when apoplexy fells Baron Adam Wynethorpe. Hotfoot to the baron's deathbed comes his elder son, Hugh, a veteran of Edward I's Crusades, who can't shake off the battle horrors he's witnessed. The baron's daughter, Prioress Eleanor, has already arrived, bringing along both her sub-infirmarian, Sister Anne, and the monk, Brother Thomas, to tend her father. Awaiting Hugh is his bastard son, Richard, a youth filled with rebellion... and a secret. The royal manor is packed with troubling guests including a sinister priest, an elderly Jewish mother from nearby Oxford mourning a son hanged for the treason of coin-clipping, contentious and greedy courtiers, and a lusty wife engaged with more than one lover. Quite soon, the wife is found hanged. Eleanor and Sister Anne persuade the High Sheriff of Berkshire that Mistress Hawis' death was not a suicide. In fact, many at the manor had reason to wish Hawis dead. One suspect is... Richard.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,645,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible