Lies, Damned Lies, and History by Jodi…

Lies, Damned Lies, and History

by Jodi Taylor

Series: The Chronicles of St Mary's (7)

I love this series. It is such a mix of everything... humour, science fiction, history, horror, romance, and just general quirkiness! I never know what to expect. It's completely unpredictable, and the banter between the charcters, as well as the characters themselves has me giggling aloud as I fly through the pages. I find it no problem at all to suspend disbelief because it's just so much damn fun to read these books! I'm already looking forward to the next book! ( )
  LongDogMom | Jun 10, 2017 |
Lies, Damned Lies, and History - Taylor
Audio performance by Zara Ramm
4 stars

Max is pregnant and disgraced, but not because of the pregnancy. I’ve permanently suspended my disbelief through 6 books of this series, so I was able to accept that it is ‘acceptable’ for a pregnant woman to travel in time to dangerous historical settings. Some fun settings: the coronation of George IV with the spectacle behavior of Princess Caroline, a Saxon raid on a hill fort complete with Arthur and a sword, King John and the presumed loss of the crown jewels, among others. And the pregnancy ends as they usually do, but not without a great deal of drama. Just go with it. Book 7 and it’s still a fun series. ( )
  msjudy | May 23, 2017 |
Man this one had me on the edge of my seat and I am not going to lie at one point I was in tears because I thought something else was going to happen. I am grateful everyday that Jen introduced me to this series. The characters -- the dialogue -- the -- EVERYTHING! At times like this I feel unworthy to even review creations of perfection like this. I don't have the words to articulate that you just NEED this series to make your life worth living. IF you are feeling down, just download an audible copy of any of the St Mary's Chronicles series & you will feel so much better. This installment is a hell of a rollercoaster. Don't even try to make plans while reading, you are not going to want to put it down. I do have to say I might need to take a quarter star off the review for the less than stellar comments about Librarians. Oh, never mind, the rest of the awesomeness outweighs the little piece of stereotypical Librarian oversight.

Favourite Quotes

"Librarians are always convinced that everyone finds old books as fascinating at they do themselves and, in an environments that frowns on even heavy breathing, silent twitching is excitement made manifest."

"The really big downside to being married concerns the inexplicable need of half of a married couple to know, at all times, exactly where the other one is. I mean -- what is that all about?" ( )
  mountie9 | Dec 26, 2016 |
I love Jodi Taylor. I love Max. (I also love Zara Ramm.) (It's especially fun to hear her say "Caer Guorthigern".) But the premise of this installment in the Chronicles of St. Mary's is … not what it could be.

When Max's team brings back the location of an extraordinary artifact, the information is passed on to Thirsk, St. Mary's funding partner, who promptly and happily recovers it and locks it up for future study. And almost immediately terrible things begin happening to the area from which the artifact was taken, and a member of Max's team is certain that the run of bad luck is entirely due to the removal of that artifact. So they decide to put it back.

Technically, to steal it and put it back.

Aaaaaand of course things go pear–shaped. "I tied up my hair and surveyed my team: Marcus, Evans, Lingos, and me. What could possibly go wrong?"

And here's the thing. A couple of times in the planning phase someone says "couldn't we just ask them to put it back?" And as everyone in the book said "no" I was saying "but –" – because … couldn't they? Granted, having the artifact in storage is awesome – but I could completely see the whole "asking" thing working. If spun right it could have been a media bonanza.

But that's not the route the story took, and you know? As long as I get to hang out with Marcus and Evans and Lingos, Max and Leon and all the rest of the St. Mary's team; as long as the pods still smell of cabbage and now and then the world goes white, all is well. All is better than well – all is grand.

Welcome, Matthew Edward Farrell. Every child should have a bear to watch over them. You might need six or seven. (I make teddy bears, Max - *makes "call me" sign*)

Quotes that will probably work their way into my everyday speech, whether it makes sense or not:

…I was well down the road to self–recrimination and despondency and slightly miffed that no one was coming with me.

"You should employ more girls."
"We used to, but they made the boys cry."

And best of all: "Is it like terrapins?" – Markham ( )
  Stewartry | Aug 28, 2016 |
The seventh full-length novel in the St. Mary's Institute for Historical Research time-travel series. Things go very wrong very quickly and are only put right through much effort and foolishness. In other words, a typical entry in the series. Notable for the appearance of King Arthur, and birth of the Maxwell-Farrell spawn. There are worse ways to while away a Sunday afternoon. ( )
  rosalita | Jul 10, 2016 |

Jodi Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ramm, ZaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The seventh book in the bestselling British madcap time-travelling series, served with a dash of wit that seems to be everyone's cup of tea. Behind the seemingly innocuous facade of St. Mary's Institute of Historical Research, a different kind of academic work is taking place. Just don't call it "time travel"-these historians "investigate major historical events in contemporary time." And they aren't your harmless eccentrics either; a more accurate description, as they ricochet around history, might be unintentional disaster-magnets. The Chronicles of St. Mary's tells the chaotic adventures of Madeleine Maxwell and her compatriots-Director Bairstow, Leon "Chief" Farrell, Mr. Markham, and many more-as they travel through time, saving St. Mary's (too often by the very seat of their pants) and thwarting time-travelling terrorists, all the while leaving plenty of time for tea. "I've done some stupid things in my time. I've been reckless. I've broken a few rules. But never before have I ruined so many lives or left such a trail of destruction behind me." As Max would be the first to admit, she's never been one for rules. But in Lies, Damned Lies, and History, she's gone too far and now everyone is paying the price. Grounded until the end of time, how can she ever put things right? Skyhorse Publishing, under our Night Shade and Talos imprints, is proud to publish a broad range of titles for readers interested in science fiction (space opera, time travel, hard SF, alien invasion, near-future dystopia), fantasy (grimdark, sword and sorcery, contemporary urban fantasy, steampunk, alternative history), and horror (zombies, vampires, and the occult and supernatural), and much more. While not every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller, a national bestseller, or a Hugo or Nebula award-winner, we are committed to publishing quality books from a diverse group of authors.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,567,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible