Her Imaginary Husband by Lia London

Her Imaginary Husband

by Lia London

212,551,640 (4.5)None
Recently added bybksbksbks, NadineC.Keels

Nikki Fallon has much to love about her new high school teaching job, except maybe the attention of a playboy football coach. Her lie about already being married may be just the thing to stave the coach off--and unfortunately discourage any advances from the kind and handsome campus cop.

As I do with a good number of the books I read, I jumped into Her Imaginary Husband by author Lia London blurb-less, preferring not to know beforehand what this romantic comedy is about. Not wholly unfamiliar with this author, I fully expected comedy that would actually make me laugh (that is, literally laugh out loud), and I wasn't disappointed.

Beyond the comedy, the heroine's role as a teacher makes way for some smart and compassionate points. As Nikki's values and ideals don't exempt her from some raw and conflicting emotions, her character is believable, with moments like one when she feels "flattered, cheap, attracted, and repulsed" all at once.

A little more backstory would have eased me into my grasp on Nikki's character more smoothly, and there's a key question concerning her motives that I didn't feel reached a definitive answer. Also, the timing of events in an episode toward the end was somewhat jarring to me. But something quite human, empathetic, and passionate in that episode made me throw my hands up with an inner "Amen!" So...

And, yes, I put the book down safely before I threw my hands up.

I'd recommend this rom-com to anyone looking for an amusing read, clean with a little steam, sweet but not sappy, with, as I mentioned, smartness and compassion to boot. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Feb 12, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,521,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible