Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Test of the Twins

by Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman

Series: Dragonlance: Legends (3), Dragonlance (357 AC)

Caramon must travel back and forth in time in order to save the world from his twin brother, Raistlin, who has become the Master of the Tower of High Sorcery. Reprint.

English (15)  French (1)  All languages (16)
I was never a reader of epic fantasy... and then I discovered the Dragonlance books and never looked back.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
A very satisfying end to the Twins Trilogy. And great character development for both twins.

Raistlin will always, always be my favorite character in any D&D novel. Period. I keep thinking about who I'd cast as him in a blockbuster adaptation. He has to be super scrawny, sickly, sneering (but super charming) master manipulator. So confident that he can do anything, including walk into the Abyss, kill the Dark Goddess, and take her place? Loki, go away. You aren't good enough for this role. :) You need to be as smart as Moriarty, as ruthless as that jerk from 24, and as confident as Thanos. Who do we have that could fit that bill, anyway? I can't even imagine!

Back to the novel and the capstone of this trilogy...

Test of the Twins is super fascinating, but it's not without its flaws. Or the flaws that I think they are, anyway. I never cared much for Tanis. He gets a lot of facetime here. On the other hand, I absolutely adore the hulking brute of Raistlin's brother now and the smart alec kinder has grown on me. Especially since they did so much time traveling.

The best part is the multiple futures and all the branching paths that had to be corrected. A lot of tragedy, but also a lot of excellent adventure. Dragons galore! Undead! Wizards! Destroyed worlds! Immense magical battles, and tons of mindf***ery. :)

This deserves to be in the fantasy hall of fame. For real. It still remains a good sight better than most of the fantasy that keeps churning out today. That's saying a lot because I think a lot of modern fantasy beats the old stuff. By a lot. :) And weirdly enough, I can count this as a classic despite my prejudice against franchise fiction. It's worth reading, period, if you like fantasy. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Reading this over again, it felt like a lot of padding had been added to make these books into a marketable trilogy.

'Test of the Twins' follows Caramon and Tasslehoff's terrible vision of a future where Raistlin succeeds, Tanis teaming up with Dalamar, more Kitiara (urgh), and Raistlin's journey through the Abyss with Crysania. I like mucking around with time-travel, and the angle that events have to be changed to prevent the end of the world was great, however, Raistlin's journeying mostly made no sense. The Abyss and the Dark Queen are attacking his mind, but he keeps behaving completely out of character to these situations. On top of that, the climactic battle scenes didn't have the same element of fun as in the 'Chronicles'.

That said, we have a nice tidy ending - though it is a bit at odds with the subsequent Krynn-shattering events of the novels of the '90s. People keep behaving as if the War of the Lance was this legendary thing and yet it ended only two years previous, and foreshadowing is made about the great future of the Temple of Paladine and...uh....ok. Sure. Never mind. Forget I said anything.

For now, I'll keep going.

Dragonlance Legends

Previous: 'War of the Twins'

Next: 'The Second Generation' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Aug 4, 2019 |
A fitting end to the series, not just that it completes the story but that it fits in to the other Dragonlance novels about the world of Krynn. ( )
  Karlstar | Jun 9, 2018 |
O final da trilogia Legends compensa, pois introduz as personagens do Chronicles recuperando a energia que tinhamos na primeira trilogia. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |

Weis, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickman, Tracymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cossato, Gian PaoloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sandrelli, SandroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brother, Gerry Hickman, who taught me what a brother should be. --Tracy Hickman
To Tracy
With heartfelt thanks for inviting me into your world. --Margaret Weis
Like sharp steel, the clarion call of a trumpet split the autumn air as the armies of the dwarves of Thorbardin rode down into the Plains of Dergoth to meet their foe--their kinsmen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,670,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible