Back in the Saddle: A Novel (Double S Ranch)…

Back in the Saddle: A Novel (Double S Ranch)

by Ruth Logan Herne

Back in the Saddle by Ruth Logan Herne 304 pages

Years ago, Colt, the oldest of the Strafford brothers, left the Double S Ranch for Wall Street. He exchanged his boots for wingtips and became successful. But one bad investment, and his world came crashing down around his ears. Readers aren’t privy to Colt’s demise, but Herne provides enough information that readers can’t help but know if they’ve read a newspaper or heard a news report. He has come to the Double S. Not only due to his setback, but the family patriarch, Sam, is ailing.

The Double S’s housekeeper is the beautiful Angelina Morales. She not only cooks and cleans, but helps with Sam. She has secrets of her own that she’s trying to hide. She is well-respected by the Strafford clan and those who live in Gray’s Glen, Washington. It’s a tiny town, made up of ranchers and small business people.

There is no love lost between the town and Sam Strafford, who had always been more interested in creating an empire than paying attention to his boys or other people.

Spark start to fly the moment Colt and Angelina meet…and they both feel them. I loved that Back in the Saddle is not your typical romance where boy meets girl, they hate each, boy and girl fall in love. There isn’t much conflict in the first half of the novel. It’s not all bad considering that this is the first book in a series. Herne does an excellent job in allowing readers to get to know who the characters are, so I’m sure that they’ll be popping up in other novels. Still, that slow, slow beginning is why Back in the Saddle receives 4 stars out of 5 in Julie’s world.

This is Book One in the Double S Ranch Series. ( )
  juliecracchiolo | May 23, 2017 |
Rating: Five
Review:

"Back in the Saddle: A Novel" by Ruth Logan Herne

My Thoughts....

What a story this one was of the 'Double S Ranch # 1. This author does what she tends to do with all of her Christian reads and that is give the readers something to ponder over long after the read as she does for 'Back in the Saddle' and even giving her readers Bible verses and references to God. I loved the way the author presents themes toward the story ...'redemption, forgiveness and even the prodigal son example of the lost sheep parable.'

The story was indeed a emotional story one that run very deep without there being easy answers. As one sees two people the heroine & hero] who are falling in love again but should they? This was a very interesting process as they are able to get over so many obstacles that they faced. Definitely when it is all said and done there will be no easy answers. The characters [Colt, Angelina, Sam, Nick, Trey, Cheyenne, & Dakota] to name a few and all I can say is that they are really something else being well developed, defined, portrayed and even believable all giving the reader a well written read that will keep your attention throughout the novel.

We find this Stafford family was really like any other families and living 'imperfect lives.' Sam Stafford, who was a father, rancher, is ill and very stubborn but wanting to make amends with his sons. Why was this? But the beautiful thing was that God could come in in any situation and a present 'reconciliation, redemption and oh my even second chances.' However, will Colt want to accept these changes that his father has offered? There will definitely be be some spiritual lessons that will be learned from this wonderful unpredictable story. And will these "Stafford men be able to examine their hearts and truly learn what it means to be a neighbor to be able to save their relationship with the citizens of Gray's Gen?" What was going on with that situation? Now, I know there are many questions that has been asked and all will be answered by the reader picking up this read and seeing for yourself how well it is all brought out so well by this excellent storyteller.

By the end of the read all I can say is that "Back in the Saddle" is a story of 'family, faith, love and second chances' that was truly one wholesome good read. Next in this series is: "Home On The Range." ( )
  arlenadean | Apr 25, 2017 |
I'm a big cowboy romance fan, so I was excited to grab this one to review. Ruth Logan Herne was a new to me author and the synopsis of the story sounded intriguing. So, I settled in for the day/night and read through nearly to the end (then I got tired so HAD to go to sleep so my CNA job wouldn't fall to pieces the next day!), but quickly picked it back up and finished it the next morning. It was that good. I loved every part of this story wholly and it will be with me forever! This is a book that I will be sharing with all who want a wonderful, inspiring read!

Colt, Angelina, Nick and Sam, along with the other characters in the story, really gripped my heart. I loved watching Colt and his changes in life after leaving his city life to come home to his country family ranch. Angelina, bless her, I loved her character! Seeing her interact with Colt was a refreshing part of the story! These two were perfectly chiseled to be just the right amount of flawed.

I can't give this book less than 5 stars! It's worthy of so much more. It had me twisted up inside and had me falling in love at every turn. From start to finish, this book is epically created and has the perfect amount of inspirational faith and hope woven among the pages. I can't wait to read more about these beautiful characters in book 2! Well done, Ms. Herne! You've gained a new fan in me!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Blogging For Books and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative* ( )
  CafinatedReads | Apr 19, 2017 |
Title: Back in the Saddle (A Double S Novel #1)
Author: Ruth Logan Herne
Pages: 320
Year: 2016
Publisher: Multnomah
My rating is 5 stars.
First, let me say that the next book in this series will be released October 2016 titled, Home on the Range. Now, to the story set in book one, Back in the Saddle. Readers are introduced to a ranch named the Double S and the Stafford family. Sam is the patriarch who is widowed and battling a liver problem and some injuries given to him by a cow. Angelina is the housekeeper/cook and a whole lot more on the ranch where she cares for the father along with the ranch hands. The son Nick has been the main mind and work horse on the ranch even when his wife up and walked out. Now returns the prodigal son Colt who left years ago to work in the financial arena on Wall Street. Colt never planned on returning, but when the market changed, he lost his job so to the ranch he returned. The third son Trey is a Christian singer who travels much, but with his father’s health issue he plans on taking a break come spring.
Sam has undergone a heart transformation due to the Lord and hopes to have time to mend his relationship with each of his sons. Angelina is falling in love with Colt, but can she give up her plans to return to the Seattle police force? As time and family life develop in the story readers will enjoy the intriguing way the hearts of the sons do and perhaps don’t change.
I think Ruth Logan Herne has crafted a believable story of a family and each individual son, which is believable and enjoyable. The Lord has changed the atmosphere in the home and in Sam. Will those heart transformations reach Colt and Nick? I really thought it brilliant that the widowed mother of Angelina wanted to be busy and enjoyed doing work on the ranch such as cooking and laundry. Perhaps we forget that as we grow older we don’t want to be put away but be of use and be with people we love and care about.
I am wondering if the author plans her other books to focus on the other two sons Nick and Trey as well as the family and ranch as a whole. Well, in October of this year we will all see won’t we? I am excited and highly anticipate enjoying book two, Home on the Range. Will you join me?
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Apr 11, 2016 |
"3 out of 5 stars. A down-on-his-luck Wall Street financial advisor goes home to his cowboy roots with plans to hole-up until the storm passes in New York. However, that changes in day one when he gets home and finds a gun aimed straight at him by the house manager/housekeeper. A woman who has changed the whole way his father's home is run and changed his father to become a better man. Soon Colt (Colton) finds himself changing for what he believes to be the better too. Yet when Colt's past from New York tells him it's time to come back will he so keen to leave everything his family's home once again or will he decide a new future is in the cards for him?

This was a heartwarming start to an intriguing series. I appreciated way the plot was laid out with the build-up it has for all the characters on Double S Ranch, and the town..."

Read more of this review and TWO TEASERS here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2016/04/blog-tour-made-grade-back-in-s... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Apr 4, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 160142776X, Paperback)

The Prodigal Is Coming Home

It’s been a long time since Colt Stafford shrugged off his cowboy legacy for shiny Manhattan loafers and a promising career on Wall Street. But when stock market manipulations leave him financially strapped, the oldest son of legendary rancher Sam Stafford decides to return to the sprawling Double S ranch in Gray’s Glen, Washington. He’s broke, but not broken, and it’s time to check in with his ailing father, and get his legs back under him by climbing into the saddle again.

He doesn’t expect to come home to a stranger pointing a loaded gun at his chest— a tough yet beautiful woman that Sam hired as the house manager. Colt senses there’s more to Angelina Morales than meets the eye and he’s determined to find out what she’s hiding...and why.

Colt’s return brings new challenges. Younger brother Nick has been Sam’s right-hand man at the ranch for years and isn’t thrilled at having Colt insert himself into Double S affairs. And the ranch’s contentious relationship with the citizens of Gray’s Glen asks all the Stafford men to examine their hearts about what it truly means to be a neighbor.  And as Wall Street recovers, will Colt succumb to the call of the financial district’s wealth and power—or finally the courage to stay in the saddle for good?

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 12 Feb 2016 15:41:59 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible