Charcoal Joe by Walter Mosley

It's a great read. The narrative voice is powerful and carries you along through one heck of a story. It's not perfect, but that's because nothing is. This one is close enough. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 18, 2017 |
Mosley dazzles with memorable characters and an unflinching witty well-observed look at 1960s Los Angeles. The fourteenth novel in the Easy Rawlins series is as much a joy to read as the first book. I so appreciate how each storyline has a fresh feel wrapped around thought-provoking prose as the characters manage the ethics of the world they live in, as temptations come in many forms. As Easy tries to solve one of the most devious cases of his career, it is his personal life that will reach out and touch reader’s heart. Once again another harrowing and moving drama of life on the edge makes this addictive series a must read for me. I cannot wait to see where Mosley takes me next.

I received an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  bookmuse56 | Sep 15, 2016 |
I'm glad that a writer with Walter Mosley's talent likes to write in this genre. 'Charcoal Joe' is a great crime read but its' scope is wider, almost 'must reading.' It has great characters and sings of Los Angeles. Both the action and the writing kept me turning pages right through to the end. ( )
  danhammang | Jul 19, 2016 |
I love Mosely's Easy Rawlins books, but they are usually so dense with characters and rich in plot that I have usually finished being unsure of what actually transpired. His smooth word flow makes that tolerable and even enjoyable, but this time I tried something different. I read it at my usual rapid speed the first time, and then went back and savored my second reading. And so it was that I can heartily recommend Charcoal Joe, which starts out with Easy and the engagement ring in his pocket and ends with him having to pull up stakes yet again to protect himself and his daughter Feather. Mouse, Etta, Mama Jo, and Fearless Jones are also along for the ride. The neighborhoods, bars, barber shops, and diners of LA make for the usual intriguing scenery. ( )
  froxgirl | Jul 10, 2016 |
Those of you who’ve followed our reviews for very long know that I’m a huge Walter Mosley fan, and that I love his Easy Rawlins series, so I was delighted to get Charcoal Joe. There’s a reason Mr. Mosley’s consistently an award-winning and bestselling author…he’s an amazing storyteller.

The Easy Rawlins series beautifully portrays what parts of Los Angeles were like during each story’s decade, prevalent racial attitudes during those times, and the nuances of what each decade in the series was like. It’s almost like walking into a time capsule every time I pick one of these novels up. I think I would read them for those qualities alone – and yet, the mysteries are equally as masterful. They’re the kind that keep me reading late into the night because I can’t bear to put them down. I can’t wait to share this one with you at http://popcornreads.com/?p=9139 ( )
  PopcornReads | Jun 11, 2016 |
On Robinson Boulevard a block and a half north of Pico, just south of Whitworth Drive, on the eastern side of the street, there once stood a three-story turquoise building that had been a posh home in the thirties.

Walter Mosley's indelible detective Easy Rawlins is back, with a new detective agency and a new mystery to solve.

Picking up where Rose Gold left off in L.A. in the late 1960s, Ezekiel "Easy" Rawlins finds his life in transition. He's ready to—finally—propose to his girlfriend, Bonnie Shay, and start a life together. And he's taken the money he got from the Rose Gold case and has, together with two partners, started a new detective agency. But, inevitably, a case gets in the way: Easy's friend Mouse introduces him to Rufus Tyler, a very old man everyone calls Charcoal Joe. Joe's friend's son, Seymour (young, bright, top of his class at Stanford), has been arrested and charged with the murder of a white man from Redondo Beach. Rufus tells Easy he will pay and pay well to see his nephew exonerated, but seeing as how Seymour was literally found standing over the man's dead body at his cabin home and the racially charged motives behind it, that might prove to be a tall order.

Between his new company, a heart that should be broken but is not, a whole raft of new bad guys on his tail, and a bad odor that surrounds Charcoal Joe, Easy has his hands full, his horizons askew, and a life in shambles on the ground around his feet.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 12 Feb 2016 20:11:53 -0500)

Life for Easy Rawlins is surprisingly... easy. He's living off the proceeds of his last case, trying to keep out of trouble. Of course it's not going to last. Because Easy's old friend Mouse knocks on his door. Mouse is one of the deadliest men in America. And Mouse wants a small favor. He wants Easy to help a man he says is wrongly imprisoned, a friend of Charcoal Joe. Charcoal Joe is a mythical figure in the LA underworld - he pulls all the strings but keeps out of sight. Reluctantly, Easy agrees - he owes Mouse his life. But this is no small favor. It's going to be Easy's deadliest investigation yet. It's going to take him from the beaches of Malibu to the shadiest stretches of Sunset in a frenetic adventure through a wild and unrepentant city.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible