Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J. K.…

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, John Tiffany

Series: Harry Potter (8)

7,004376836 (3.59)2 / 139

English (363)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (375)
I just got the warm and fuzzies.

CarleneInspired | Jun 14, 2019 |
Loved being back in Rowling's wizarding world, but this is a far cry from the series and anyone expecting it to be will find it lacking. Though the characters are Rowling's some of the jargon to my mind was clearly not her own style. Not surprising, since this was not a sole project. Does this make it better or worse? I can't say, as that's totally a personal thing, for me what bothered me in particular were the "accents" of characters like Hagrid, which were written in their characteristic brogue. I felt that was unnecessary. I write this realizing this was written for the stage, so probably more for the actor's and audience's benefit, than my own as a reader, who already has Hagrid's voice in my own head.
What nearly slayed me was Harry's relationship with Albus, because in my fairytale ending Harry and the gang lived happily ever after with no turmoil whatsoever. This more realistic portrayal of a parent/child relationship as a parent broke my heart, and was sad to read.

Overall I'm glad for the story, and think you will be too. ( )
  nicoleolea | Jun 12, 2019 |
I received this book as a Christmas present from my son. I loved the first seven Harry Potter books, but when this one came out, I had mixed feelings about reading it. My main concern was that the book was written in a play format. I really prefer reading novels. I love the description that you are able to get in novels. A play feels really sterile, especially when you are just reading it. When my son gave me the book, I decided that it was time to read it.

The story takes place nineteen years after the events in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. We meet up with Harry and Ginny, and their three children (James, Lily and Albus), and Ron and Hermione and their child Rose. It is Albus' first year at Hogwarts. He immediately bonds with Scorpius Malfoy, the son of Draco, especially when both are sorted into Slytherin. Scorpius and Albus both have problems fitting in at Hogwarts, and dealing with their father's reputations.

I enjoyed the basic story. When characters from the previous books were brought back for what are essentially cameos, I felt a wave of nostalgia. It was a bit sad to see Harry beaten down by the bureaucracy of his job. He seems very middle aged and not so much a hero anymore. I have heard that this is a great play to watch on stage. I hope I get the chance to do that some day. I would also like it if the book could be rewritten as a novel. You really need to have read the first seven books to get the most out of this one. Fans of the series should enjoy revisiting Hogwarts.
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I finally finished the Harry Potter series! I thought this story was really compelling, and would love to see it on stage (though I haven’t seen all the movies yet!). It fit right in and didn’t feel disjointed like some later sequels feel. I also really loved reading it as a play compared to a novel. Rowling’s writing is descriptive but sometimes long-winded, and the initial 7 books can get bogged down in description. I liked that this was cut down to the basics - dialogue and very few stage cues. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jun 4, 2019 |

Ménard, Jean-FrançoisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Jack Thorne
who entered my world
and did beautiful things there.
--J.K. Rowling
For Joe, Louis, Max, Sonny, and Merle...wizards all...
--John Tiffany
To Elliot
As we rehearsed, he gurgled.
--Jack Thorne
A busy and crowded station, full of people trying to go somewhere. Amongst the hustle and bustle, two large cages rattle on top of two laden trolleys.

As an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and a father, Harry Potter struggles with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs while his youngest son, Albus, finds the weight of the family legacy difficult to bear.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,492,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible