Harry potter and the cursed child : the…

Harry potter and the cursed child : the official script book of the… (edition 2016)

by J. K. Rowling

6,052338979 (3.62)2 / 129
Member:stephhwilliams
Title:Harry potter and the cursed child : the official script book of the original west end production... special rehearsal edition
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Info:[S.l.] : Arthur A Levine, 2016.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling

English (328)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (338)
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
I grew up with the HP series and I love the movies. My husband and I began a tradition of binge watching all of the movies every holiday season during our time off but this just didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the hype. Maybe it was the anticipation. Maybe it was the unknown of what's happened and how the story continued but it didn't thrill me. I also hated the play style it was published in but at least it was a quick read! ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
I'm very much not impressed by this bood.

While I enjoy reading plays, and I enjoy the Harry Potter universe, to me this book failed to capture the tone of the original works, provided a story consisting of plot-holes and cheap tricks, and then added inconsistencies - all in all it read like mediocre fanfiction (except for the format).

While the inconsistencies (brewing polyjuice to-go? Where is Teddy Lupin? Why are James and Lily out and about while fearing for their lives?) may sound nitpicky, they made suspension of disbelief that much harder. I liked some of the new characters, Scorpius in particular, but to my (very biased) eye and brain, there was a lot of queerbaiting going on, and that was just horribly disappointing. (Yay for consistent characterization of McGonagall, I guess.)

I also had an intense dislike for the time travelling. Not for breaking in-universe rules, but for being lazy, and old, and done over and over in better ways. The writers also seemed to have a weird focus on Cedric. What's up with that?

And "Voldemort's Daughter" sealed the "bad fanfiction" deal. Seriously. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
So a few things I liked about this is a little more detail about what happened when Voldemort killed Harry’s parents, I liked to see the gang “all grown up” with adult duties and such. One thing I didn’t like was I felt like this was a little repetitive at times. Not nearly as good as the original series but for a diehard fan I will take anything I can get :) ( )
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
protect scorpius & albus from being shoehorned into heteronormativity ( )
  adaorhell | Aug 24, 2018 |
The plot itself is quite wonderful. It was hard enough to be Harry Potter. Fairly or not, he had high expectations to live up to and others who were far more interested in his life than they should have been. Even harder still is to be Harry’s middle son. Named for two legendary wizards and living contentiously in the shadow of both his famous father and his shining star brother, he is having a hard time of things until he meets Scorpius, son of Draco Malfoy. The boys discover friendship in that odd and unlikely pairing and as is always the case friendship and loyalty are the key to solving the mysteries and getting through the story alive. Time travel and story twists add to the tapestry of the Harry Potter universe quite nicely

Rowling, J.K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thorne, Jackmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tiffany, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fritz, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ménard, Jean-FrançoisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Jack Thorne
who entered my world
and did beautiful things there.
--J.K. Rowling
For Joe, Louis, Max, Sonny, and Merle...wizards all...
--John Tiffany
To Elliot
As we rehearsed, he gurgled.
--Jack Thorne
A busy and crowded station, full of people trying to go somewhere. Amongst the hustle and bustle, two large cages rattle on top of two laden trolleys.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places. [retrieved 8/30/2016 from Amazon.com]

As an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and a father, Harry Potter struggles with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs while his youngest son, Albus, finds the weight of the family legacy difficult to bear.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,017,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible