The Crystal Shard by R. A. Salvatore
Bruenor, a dwarf, Drizzt, a dark elf, and Wulfgar, a barbarian warrior, try to unite the people of Ten-Towns to face the dangerous magic of the crystal shard.
Recently added bycrawfoad, private library, jpauwels, SmithLibrarian, Sara_Hemmings, YoruSulfur, J_wilk1

Otra excelente historia de Drizzt y sus amigos. ( )
  s3phiroth2006 | Jun 5, 2019 |
Well, 4.5 because I love this stuff. This one didn't have the same impact on me as the first three books did, but there were plenty of interesting things happening: goblins, orcs, frost giants, dragons, demons, war and a smarmy, devious, whiny wizard who wreaks havoc after finding the crystal shard, an ancient magical talisman that gives him considerable powers. Basic stuff, but well done. I did enjoy seeing the wizard bite it, finally.

I slogged down a bit on all the Ten Towns politics, history, descriptions, etc. There was a lot of bickering. It was part of the story, but I didn't care that much about it. I read and watch enough grisly things where I have to be pretty attached to a place before I'll worry about the welfare of the populace over that of a dragon or a demon. Honestly, I was more worried about Drizzt's cat.

The development of the other main characters, a barbarian, a halfling and a dwarf, was good and it was a kind reprieve that Drizzt had some loyal friends he didn't lose, for a change. We'll see how they all fare in the next adventure. ( )
  ftmckinstry | Mar 31, 2018 |
the continuing adventures of Drizz't. A magical do-hickey from the bowels of hell comes to the surface and takes over a weakminded wizard. He threatens 10 towns and it is up to Drizz't and a new character named Wulfgar to save the day. Kill dragons and demons, face down hordes and get magical weapons.

Good for what it is, pulp fantasy. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
**I purchased this book for my own enjoyment with no expectation of a review**

I first read RA Salvatore's The Crystal Shard many moons ago. The Drizzt novels helped me through a tough time of my life, and are still comfort books. This reread marks the 2000th book I've read since Jan 1993. I wanted number 2000 to be a special one!

Drizzt, a rogue dark elf, has made his home in the wilds of Icewind Dale, one of the most remote places of Faerun. The drow ranger patrols the tundra, keeping vigilant watch over the scattering of towns along three lakes, despite being despised by many humans. He has friends, though, in Bruenor the dwarf and his adopted daughter Catti-bre, and in the handling known as Regis, Spokesman for the town of Lonelywood.

Drizzt happens to discover a plot by the tundra barbarians to attack the towns. He gives warning, and Regis and Bruenor are able to convince the towns to put aside their native rivalry and work together. They grudgingly do so and manage to defeat the barbarians, though the alliance falls apart quite literally as soon as the battle is won. One young barbarian, left for dead on the field of battle, is taken in by Bruenor to serve a five year and a day penance for the attack. Meanwhile… elsewhere… a failed mage apprentice named Alarm Kessel has come in possession of a powerful artifact known as Crenshinibon, that grants him the magic he'd always before failed to truly connect to.

As Wulfgar grows from boy to man under Bruenor’s tutelage, Kessel is gathering together an army of goblins, orcs, and other fell beasties. As Wulfgar’s time of penance is drawing to an end, Bruenor sends him to Drizzt to train in fighting and defense. Wulfgar quickly comes to respect Drizzt, and it is together they discover Kessel’s plot against the lake towns. As the towns once again try to come together for a common cause, Wulfgar departs, embarking on a mission that will ensure his people come to the aid of the townspeople. If he can succeed, that is.

I love this series! Like I mentioned earlier, it pulled me through some rough times and they are still comfort books. Drizzt is such an unusual character, and the challenges he must face are something that resonates deeply with me. That, and his morals. He stands firm by what he believes. My only qualm is the repetition of 'evil’ and 'mighty’ as descriptors, however, my brain now just supplies different words in their place.

🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻 Highly recommended if you love fantasy, or enjoy Dungeons & Dragons/ DragonLance/ Forgotten Realms. ( )
  PardaMustang | Nov 21, 2016 |
easy reading lacking complexity, some good characters... ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |

R. A. Salvatoreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bevine, VictorNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Diane and Bryan, Geno, and Caitlin for their support and patience through this experience. And to my parents, Geno and Irene, for believing in me even when I didn't.
The demon sat back on the seat it had carved in the stem of the giant mushroom.
"Prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron" or, "May the fleas of a thousand reindeer nest in your genitals"

Akar Kessel, a weak-willed apprentice mage sets in motion events leading to the rediscovery of the magical device, the crystal shard. But is it merely an inanimate device . . . or is it capable of directing the defeat of Ten-Towns?

Or have the barbarians already arranged for that themselves? Their brutal attack on the villages of Ten-Towns seals their fate, and that of the young barbarian Wulfgar. Left for dead, Wulfgar is rescued by the dwarf, Bruenor, in exchange for five years of service . . . and friendship. With the help of the dark elf, Drizzt, Bruenor reshapes Wulfgar into a warrior with both brawn and brains.

But is Wulfgar strong enough to reunite the barbarian tribes? Can an unorthodox dwarf and renegade dark elf persuade the people of Ten-Towns to put aside their petty differences in time to stave off the forces of the crystal shard?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,781,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible