Esther the Wonder Pig: Changing the World…

Esther the Wonder Pig: Changing the World One Heart at a Time

by Steve Jenkins

Absolutely loved this book! Started following Esther on Facebook a month and I can't get enough. It's a beautiful story of what we will do for the ones we love especially the ones who don't have the words to say thank you. Their appreciation comes in the form of snuggles and the happy light in their eyes. ( )
  KaylaGregg | Aug 23, 2017 |
So one day, an ex-girlfriend of Steve’s calls up and offers him a pot-belly pig. He knows that his partner, Derek will freak out if he brings another animal home without talking about it first, but Steve just can’t resist. Come on, all you animal lovers out there does this sound even a little bit familiar? I know it does to me. My loved ones have just quit fighting it.

Esther is no bigger than a teacup when Steve brings her home and she quickly wins Derek’s heart. What both Derek and Steve don’t anticipate is that little Esther grows up to be a 650 pound pig. In their little 1000 square foot home, this proves to be quite a trial of errors. Steve and Derek don’t give up easily though. The love they both have for Esther allows them to conquer each problem they face along the way. In the process, they even become vegans.

Nowadays, Steve and Derek and Esther live on a farm. They have become the successful founders of Happily Ever Esther Farm Sanctuary for farm animals in need. They did so with a lot of faith and donations from fans and followers of Esther’s on Facebook. Steve and Derek are performing daily miracles for these animals and they are doing so with loads of love in their hearts. Esther truly is the “Wonder Pig.”

Oh my, what a wonderful book this is! This book is a must-read for animal lovers everywhere! Esther, I would love to meet you some day!

I want to thank the publisher (Grand Central Publishing) for providing me with the ARC through NetGalley for an honest review. ( )
  sherribelcher | Jul 20, 2016 |
Rule: Never trust someone who tells you it is a Mini Pig.
It was not a bad thing that Esther turned out to be a full size 600 pound pig. She was just about 550 pounds more than expected. She was a handful and they learned the hard way/hilarious many times. Their laughter, tears and frustrations during their growth and learning of how to be adopted pig parents was a beautiful and sometimes heartbreaking thing to watch. Derek and Steve are two amazing men, with huge open hearts, and they give it their all to make the world a little better.
An excellent story about love, patience and adjusting to change. Animal rescue is a major issue for obvious reasons. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jun 3, 2016 |
Four stars for a fun read. Okay, the title caught your eye didn't it? Esther the Wonder Pig: Changing the World One Heart at a Time. And how about that cute little piggy face?

Well, inside the pages of Steve Jenkins and Derek Walter's new book, written with Caprice Crane, you'll find the story of Esther, the mini pig that was, well, a big pig.

Steve and his partner Derek are animal lovers. They were living with a pair of dogs and cats in their home in a large urban area in Ontario when an old high school friend of Steve's contacted him. (After 15 years of no contact...)

" Hey Steve. I know you've always been a huge animal lover. I have a mini pig that is not getting along with my dogs. I've just had a baby and I can't keep the pig."

Uh huh. So combined with that 15 years and the words 'mini pig', alarms should be going off right? Nope - Steve ends up meeting the woman and bringing home the cute little animal. It's the word 'huge' in that email that is quite prophetic. 'Esther' isn't a mini (surprise!) - instead, she ends up being a full blown commercial size pig. Yes, a 650 pound pig in a 1000 sq.ft. home!

I really enjoyed Steve's voice - I suspect he would be a hoot to meet in person. He's passionate, impetuous and downright funny. I found myself laughing out loud many times. Derek seems to be a bit calmer and more practical. But their love for Esther is the same.

Loving a full sized pig does bring some inevitable changes - physically, mentally and lifestyle. How those changes occurred and how they literally affected and inspired hundreds of thousands of people is a wonderful, heartwarming tale. Esther's story will bring a smile to your day, have you taking a second look at where your food comes from, perhaps inspire you to investigate a vegan lifestyle, support rescue operations and more.

Oh, and my book has a nice little blurb from Ricky Gervais: "Funny, moving, and heartwarming. The greatest love story ever told between two men and their pig." Yup, that about sums it up. A fun read that will leave you smiling. My only negative is the celebrity comparisons that just felt forced and awkward. ( )
  Twink | May 20, 2016 |

In the summer of 2012, Steve Jenkins was contacted by an old friend about adopting a micro piglet. Though he knew his partner Derek wouldn't be enthusiastic, he agreed to take the adorable little pig anyway, thinking he could care for her himself. Little did he know, that decision would change his and Derek's lives forever. It turned out there was nothing "micro" about Esther, and Steve and Derek had actually signed on to raise a full-sized commercial pig. Within three years, Tiny Esther grew to a whopping 600 pounds. After some real growing pains and a lot of pig-sized messes, it became clear that Esther needed much more space, so Steve and Derek made another life-changing decision: they bought a farm and opened the Happily Ever Esther Farm Sanctuary, where they could care for Esther and other animals in need.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,549,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible