Gulag 101 by Nico Reznick

by Nico Reznick

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added byHarryWhitewolf

No tags.

Nico Reznick’s second collection of poetry is just as good as the first. The dissatisfied human spirit in the modern age of meaninglessness is captured brilliantly. The poet’s personal feelings and demons are explored in poems like the powerful ‘Kiss Like Opium’ and the relatable-in-essence ‘Letter Of Notice’ and her disillusionment of twenty first century politics in ‘The New Breed’ is expertly captured.

This easily digestible collection offers much pause for thought. Literally. It will make you stop, think, feel, digest and reread again. My favourites in Gulag 101 were: ‘Slow Death Among The Toner Cartridges’ which perfectly sums up the banality and mundanity of work, with lines like: “There are people who know whether you take sugar in your tea” and: “You get a card on your birthdays, scribbled with a score of sincere, benevolent, utterly generic messages.” And as a long standing and unashamed fan of that nutter David Icke, I particularly liked ‘Reptiles As A Metaphor’ which remembers how much everyone used to laugh at Icke and how much of his big-business-elite conspiracies are suddenly in-your-face-facts a couple of decades on.

Other winners were ‘Rejection’, which begins: “I don't want you, walk-in-closeted, white-picket wonderland, or all your 2.4 suburban promises of good catchment areas and gentrification”, and ‘Service Desk’, which starts: “In the car after work, some forsaken Wednesday evening, Christie twists in her driver's side bucket seat to tell me, 'The problem with this job is lately, it feels like I'm sucking dick when I'm not’”.

I can’t recommend Nico Reznick’s poetry enough. Support your indie poets and buy this book. ( )
  HarryWhitewolf | Feb 13, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,859,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible