The Guardian of Secrets by Jana Petken

The Guardian of Secrets

by Jana Petken

This was one of the best books I’ve read in a long time. I would classify it more as literature (rather than novel), given the historical events the author writes describes so well. Petkin has woven a story that captures the reader and won’t let go until you reach the last page. While longer than most books I read, I found myself eager to get back to the story every evening when work was done. You will travel from the early 20th century on a journey that spans one-hundred years to 21st century 2012. The family story takes place in both England and Spain, during two world wars and the Spanish Civil War, capturing the horror and heartbreak of those conflicts. Petkin has written a book that I will revisit again and again and won’t soon forget. I will tell everyone I know who, like me, loves well-written historical fiction. A fabulous story written from the heart. ( )
  lst0222 | Jul 24, 2016 |
I both enjoyed and struggled with this book.
The author sent me on a journey that I found quite harrowing. I like it when I can really ‘feel’ a book, and this one certainly delivered on that. I generally don’t read books that are this emotionally heavy, but the desire to know what happened next keep me reading despite the negative feelings it caused.
The part of the story set in Spain was interesting as I don’t know much about Spain’s past. I’ve always found learning about history easier when it’s a part of a novel!
On the downside, I was confused when I began reading as the setting was obviously historical, but the language/speech used by the characters was modern. Once my mind accepted this, it was no longer an issue.
If you like a historical saga that leaves you emotionally exhausted, but satisfied at the end, this book is for you. ( )
  AlisonClifford | Apr 25, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,739,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible