Chains of Command (Frontlines) by Marko…

Chains of Command (Frontlines) (2016)

by Marko Kloos

Save for a few phrases used a bit to often, another excellent volume. Also, after four books in one verse I'm interested to see Kloos try something different. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Like the other books in the series, this one is similar in feel, yet puts our hero in a completely new situation. I like this series more with each book. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
This was good action packed story that continues the Frontlines series. The book takes place a year after the events of Angles of Attack. Earth is still a political dystopian mess. The leadership of the North American Commonwealth has bugged out for places unknown taking the best spaceships with them leaving Earth to defend herself. This is the story of how those ships were recovered and how a platoon of soldiers and special operators took control of the planet the traitors fled to. It is also the stories of the lies leadership tells to the lead in order to manipulate them to get their goals accomplished. It is the story of Andrew Grayson and his wife Haley as they navigate a path between duty and love, and their humanity versus the demands of commanding troops in battle and causing some to die. This novel can be read as just another good piece of military science fiction and on that level its fun. Kloos challenges his readers to think the about moral cost of command. The psychic consequences of having the power of life and death over an individual prisoner, a platoon of soldiers, or the overall command of a task force. He asks the reader ask what is the price of victory, is it worth lying to those under you for the greater good to save lives? ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 23, 2016 |
Well-written, and of very little interest to me. SF war against incomprehensible aliens, from a near-grunts-eye view - the protagonist starts as a staff sergeant and ends as a temporary lieutenant, but for all the bits about space and air fighters, it's primarily straight slogging in ground combat. At the beginning (of this book, which is #4 in a series I've read no others of), there is almost sort of hope they might be able to hold off the aliens, at least for a while. Then the focus changes and they're fighting humans instead - and while I don't like the sergeant/lieutenant much, I really detest the war hero. I think Sergeant Fallon has him dialed in early on. I read the whole book; I mostly feel triumph at having finished it (no particular pleasure from having read it), and I have zero interest in finding any others of the series. If you like blood-and-mud military SF with sneaky plans and unnecessary deaths, go ahead - it is well-written, you'll feel like you're in the middle of all that. Not my preferred scene. I got the eARC from NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 30, 2016 |
My original Chains of Command audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Chains of Command starts about one year after Angles of Attack. Right of the bat I wanted to know what Grayson and Halley and the rest said about joining the “rebels”. There was no satisfactory answer given about how they came to their decisions.

Grayson and Halley are now fully engrossed in the machine that is the North American Commonwealth. Both now drill instructors, trying to fill the ranks of the decimated Corps. Both finding themselves dying a little bit inside, not only from missing the action of combat but from knowing that those they are training, many are just going to be sent to their deaths.

With the Lankie forces amassing so close to Earth, on Mars. So what does the Alliance do? Go try to retake Mars with an unhealthy space force or do they go after the ones that deserted them and took several valuable assault ships?

Much of, about one half, this book takes place in friendly territory. With Grayson battling and dealing with minutia of life back on Earth. He and Halley have built stable careers and lives. That is until Grayson is made an offer that he cannot, even though his instincts say so, refuse. In doing so he climbs the military ranks and places hundreds of lives in his hands. It seemed to drag on for longer than necessary, however I really enjoyed it.

The next quarter of the story is all mission planning. Grayson collecting his hand picked team members. Saying goodbye to his wife and the life they have made.

The final quarter is all out war. So much happens in such a short amount of the book. Kloos continues his meticulous battle sequences. Character interactions that still seem so real and natural, it drew me closer to each of them. Making it through the slower beginning was so worth it for this part.

Now the setup for, what I can only imagine, will be a very intense fifth book to the series is here. Something fans of this series will be happy to hear. I do hope he keeps exploring this unique universe that he’s created. There are so many directions I can see the series going in the future.

Once again Luke Daniels delivers a stunning performance. There is not much I can say that I haven’t already. Luke Daniels is the military science fiction narrating God. The more I listen to him the more I love him.

Audiobook was provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Apr 19, 2016 |

The assault on Earth was thwarted by the destruction of the aliens' seed ship, but with Mars still under Lanky control, survivors work frantically to rebuild fighting capacity and shore up planetary defenses. Platoon sergeant Andrew Grayson must crash-course train new volunteers - all while dulling his searing memories of battle with alcohol and meds. Knowing Earth's uneasy respite won't last, the North American Commonwealth and their Sino-Russian allies hurtle toward two dangerous options: hit the Lanky forces on Mars or go after deserters who stole a fleet of invaluable warships critical to winning the war. Assigned to a small special ops recon mission to scout out the renegades' stronghold on a distant moon, Grayson and his wife, dropship pilot Halley, again find themselves headed for the crucible of combat-and a shattering new campaign in the war for humanity's future.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,645,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible