Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting by Brian…

Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting

by Brian Gordon

A humorous comics about parenting. It's funny because it is true.

phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
*I received this book from NetGalley in return for a fair review.*

My first book by this author. I was looking around Netgalley to see what they had available to be 'read now' and spotted this book here in the humor area. Glanced at a few reviews over on Goodreads - which included several pictures from the book - and found the pictures humorous. So I selected this book to read.

Like the last book I attempted to read through Netgalley, I ended up starring at the provided file with confusion. Well, took me a while, but I've finally figured how to open a acsm file. See, it kept trying to load in the Adobe PDF thingie already on my computer. But that specific one couldn't read acsm files. So . . . . eventually I found something that read acsm files, downloaded it. Then realized that I had downloaded the program to my phone. Which didn't help me any. Eventually I figured out how to download Adobe Digitial Editions to my PC so now I can actually read this here book. Yay me. So then, the book itself.

First off I'll note that I've read several parenting/family themed comics/books, which this book here falls within, but am not myself a parent. I do have a nephew, so . . ..

From the introduction: 'I remember thinking that this crap was WAY less magical than I had been promised.' - hmm, confusing that. Having an actual human 'suddenly' appear where no human existed before - that's magical. Parenting? Who said parenting was magical?

Huh. I see now. Apparently everyone but him in his social circle had 'easy babies' but he had a 'hard baby'. Then he found out his experience wasn't, in fact, the sole experience of having a 'hard baby' out there. I see now why he got confused, if his social circle had magical babies and he didn't. Hmms. Magical babies. Odd concept that. If I had something like that in my life, not that I would (as in, I know my own genetics, a magical baby ain't coming out of me), I'd think that my baby had been replaced by an alien - or someone else's kid. If, I mean, the baby was magically easy. (yeah, I know, he actually concludes that his social circle were lying, not that there were magical babies out there).

Heh. Well, that bodes well. I moved from the introduction to the first actual comic and burst out in laughter. Odd, I am, but still. I laughed. Yay, my brain thinks.

'Who hates naps?!' - hehehe

'stupid genetics' - hehehe

hmms. I might accidentally die by laughter.

hehehe - 'Why I don't get invited to baby showers anymore' - hehehe

ha-hahe - 'evidently I was friggin' Hitler in a former life.'

hmms. Okay, some just flew over my head. Like the Advent Calendar one.

hehehehehaha - 'not a single piece of your Halloween candy was poisoned...'

'Three'. heh

'I don't wanna be a tree stump!' hehehe

Okay, I need to stop randomly laughing at stuff in this review. Needless to say, there's a lot of very funny stuff going on in this here book. It's funny, it is.

'But we're outside!!!' hehehehe. oops, was supposed to stop doing that, I was.

hehehehe - 'Holy crap, I'm raising a politician.'

This is/was a really really funny little comic book. All should read. *nods* Don't have to be a parent, I know, because I'm not a parent and I laughed really loudly.

February 20 2016

Lexxi | Jun 26, 2016 |
I have seen these comics floating around the internet and have enjoyed them. When I saw that there was a whole book of this comic, I knew that I had to take a look. A lot of the comics featured in this book were the same ones that I had seen online but I thought that this was such a fun little book of comics.

The thing that I love about this comic is that not only are they funny, they are easy to relate to. I have kids and I could see myself on just about every single page in this book. My youngest is in high school so I am at the point in my life where I am not dealing with some of these issues anymore but I will never forget what it was like when they were younger. Don't get me wrong - My children are still frustrating but in different ways now that they are older.

I highly recommend this book to all parents or really anyone who has spent a lot of time with young kids. I think that this book would be a wonderful gift for parents of toddlers who probably need a good laugh. I will definitely be on the look out for future installments of this comic strip.

I received an advanced reader copy of this book from Andrews McMeel Publishing via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

This review was also found at Carole's Random Life. http://carolesrandomlife.blogspot.com/ ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Mar 19, 2016 |
Fowl Language by Brian Gordon is a very funny book that expresses what all of us parents feel at one time or another but won't say it out loud. It is zany, true, delightful, and needs to be in every home for stress relief. The cartoons have such wonderful expressions and the art tells it all without any words needed. I giggled many times through out this book This guy has a gift of hitting the issue and using his talent just right. Issues in the book include eating, bedtime, travel, gaming, dressing, shopping, and so much more. This would be perfect for the new parent or the grandparent. It is funny, period.
I received this book for a honest review from NetGalley and it in no way effected my rating or review content. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Mar 1, 2016 |
Naps are objectively the best tho.

(Full disclosure: I received a free ebook for review through NetGalley.)

Are you a mom or a dad? How wonderful and annoying for you!
Do you know someone who will soon have a baby? How exciting and terrifying for them!
Are your friends parents, too? Of course they are, those poor sons of bitches...

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then FOWL LANGUAGE is for you.
If you answered no, then congratulations, and feel free to sleep in this weekend!

Even though I'm childfree by choice, I picked up a copy of Fowl Language because a) who doesn't love humorous web comics and b) I have adopted seven dogs over the years and caring for dogs can't be completely different, right? Like, I'm pretty sure there's got to be some overlap between asshole kids and asshole dogs.

Exhibit A: the only time my dogs let me sleep in is if the sky's overcast and their bladders are close to empty. Otherwise I'm up with the sun, or at 2AM for a potty break. Sometimes, with the fosters, I even have to walk them out in the snow wearing nothing but slippers and a hoodie. They just can't seem to pick the right spot unless I'm there to bear witness. Fun times. (And cats? It's 4AM, or whenever they're feeling insufficiently entertained. Shoot me now.)

Exhibits B through I: these comic strips, to which this dog person was totally able to relate.

(Replace "covered in stickers" with "covered in dog hair" and this could be me.)

(Throwing balls with Rennie.)

(All the time.)

(Covertly throw out all the choking hazards.)

(Before you know it, dinner's at 4PM.)

(yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss.)

Okay, that last one had absolutely zilch to do with dogs; it's just so shiny that I couldn't resist.

In the vein of Hyperbole and a Half and Adulthood is a Myth, Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting is a wry web comic about parenting and, occasionally, adulting in general. It's a little less entertaining than the other two - I chuckled a bit, but didn't straight-up guffaw like I did with Hyperbole - though I do suspect that parents will get a bigger kick out of it than I did. It would definitely make a cute little gift for new or expecting parents.

http://www.easyvegan.info/2016/03/21/fowl-language-by-brian-gordon/ ( )
  smiteme | Feb 14, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,753,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible