The Bride Wore Starlight by Lizbeth Selvig

The Bride Wore Starlight

by Lizbeth Selvig

611,268,033 (3.83)None

It been a while since I had read a Liz Selvig book and I had heard some good things about this series, go I thought I would pick one up and why not begin with The Bride Wore Starlight, her latest book.
So the story is about Joely Crockett; Joely and her mother were involved in a nasty car accident 9 months ago and those 9 months have been the toughest of her life as not only is she battling to walk again, she is dealing with the emotions from the crash, an unfaithful husband who doesn't even bother to turn up at the hospital and now she has to face the pitting remarks at her two sisters double wedding. But what she didn't expect is running into a man like Alec Morrissey, a man who accused her of milking her injuries to get attention from everyone.
Alec Morrissey knows how Joely feels more than anyone. Alec used to be a big rodeo star, before going into the army with his cousin Buzz, but when his tour was done, he not only lost his cousin and his family, but a part of himself too. Add to that a friend from the past is trying to get him back in the rodeo, which makes Alec dig his heels in more. After an uneasy start Alec and Joely became a little more than friend, but their pasts are holding them back, will they overcome these obstacles or will they stay caught up in the past.
The book is a part of a series and I will be honest, you really do need to read the series, before getting into this book as there are a lot of references and characters they really have very little explanation. Now while I found the writing superb, I found that the plot had issues, some parts of the story needed a little streamline and other parts needed to be expanded, I honestly think that was the biggest issues I had with the book, I felt that the book was on the cusp of greatness, but the bumpy ride the plot gives you was just a little to bumpy to deal with. Now when it comes to the characters, I found Alec's character very likable, I struggled with Joely's characters, her character come across as so self-centered in the beginning, that when her real personality came through later in the book, I struggled to like her.
But please don't think that there are not great parts to the story, because there really are. The lesson of overcoming adversity was great. I really loved Joely's sister Mia and her Grandmother Sadie. The character Heidi was hysterical, even though I am sure she was not meant to be and I am sure I will never see a skunk and not think about this book (for the right reasons) and when the first time Joely parallel parked after her accident had me laughing like an idiot.
When it came to rating this book I really struggled, as I felt it deserved a better score that what I ended up giving it, but the plot issues were just a little too much for me to overcome. The book has such an inspiring message that I truly loved and I will be going back and reading the series from the beginning, I give The Bride Wore Starlight 3 and 1/2 stars.
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006241397X, Mass Market Paperback)

Once comfortable on stage in front of thousands, Joely Crockett is now mortified at the thought of walking—or rolling—down the aisle at her sisters’ wedding. Scarred and wheelchair-bound, the former beauty queen has lost more than the ability to walk—she’s lost her fire. But when one handsome, arrogant guest accuses her of milking her injuries and ignites her ire, Joely finally starts to feel truly alive again, and soon it’s impossible for her to resist her heart’s desire.

Alec Morrissey knows a little something about loss. A famous rodeo cowboy before he was injured in Iraq, he’s managed to create something of a normal life, even if it’s not the one he always imagined. Encountering stunning but damaged Joely, he sees a kindred spirit who can learn from his mistakes.

As these two healing souls begin to fall in love under the Wyoming stars, they must discover if they are willing to give in to the tragedies of life or fight for a future together.

An Avon Romance

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 19 Feb 2016 21:04:30 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,082,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible