Secrets in the Stones (Dr. Thomas Silkstone…

Secrets in the Stones (Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mystery)

by Tessa Harris

Full review to come!

In the meantime you can read all my other reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
When Sir Montagu is found murdered, Dr. Thomas Silkstone is brought in to help discover who may have murdered him. Dr. Silkstone is in love with Lady Lydia, the late Sir Montagu's daughter, who is a widow herself. Dr. Silkstone then discovers that the grave of her husband has been desecrated and the large diamond he was buried with has been stolen. As the mystery deepens, and the body count rises, it's up to Dr. Silkstone to attempt to solve the crimes before even more people come to harm's way.

This was actually the first in this series that I have read. I tend to read books set earlier in history than the Victorian era. I was quite pleased with the novel. The characters are well developed and the twists and turns in the story line kept me guessing until the end. I will now be adding the previous five books in the series to my reading list. I highly recommend this book to others. ( )
  GayleBitker | Apr 19, 2016 |
In India some years back a diamond was stolen and now, people are dying for it. Dr. Thomas Silkstone is an American anatomist in love with the Lady Lydia Farrell. The murder of her father sets in motion a mystery that will claim more lives in London and lead back to a heinous pact some years before in India.

***

This is the first book I have read in this series, I was able to follow the story quite well, but there is a sense that there is a tremendous amount of history surrounding these characters. Given a chance, I would go back to the beginning to play catch up.

When it comes to historical mysteries, I adore this time period when the science of forensics was born. The back and forth between the old guard with tradition and avarice on their side and the scientists looking for clues to the facts is always entertaining. This story is a joy to read as it is filled with evocative descriptions that fill the pages, painting the scenes of the book. “Night coated the city’s minarets and spandrels like melted tar”, “It was an area where the roofs of dwellings slumped like exhausted dockers after a hard day’s work”. So many details make this period piece come alive in the mind of the reader.

It is the rather large and disparate cast of characters that truly make this story. None are one dimensional and all have a part to play in keeping the story moving at a steady pace. Though, if it is anywhere that the book doesn’t stand alone it would be that some of the obviously recurring characters are written as if the reader should already know who they are.

All in all this is a fabulous story that I would enjoy exploring more. I am looking forward to reading more from this author

4 stars

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Ireadwhatuwrite | Mar 23, 2016 |
Another exciting novel from Tessa Harris.
This Dr. Silkstone mystery is set in 18th. century India and London.
A tale of stolen diamonds, murder and Lady Lydia Farrell, just released from Bedlam Prison.
This fast paced story held my attention to the end.
Very highly recommended. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Feb 13, 2016 |
Good friend, for Jesu's sake forbear
To dig the dust enclosed here.
Blest be the man that spares these stones
And curst be he that moves my bones.
--William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
This epitaph on the poet's tomb in Stratford-upon-Avon was purportedly chosen by the Bard himself.
For Harry and Tom, because I made a promise
From high up on a loop of the great wall, the bania watched the pinpricks of flame blister the blackened city.

Within the mysteries of the body, especially those who have been murdered, 18th-century anatomist Dr. Thomas Silkstone specializes in uncovering the tell-tale clues that lead towards justice…

From the mysterious disappearance of a cursed diamond buried with Lydia's dead husband, to the undying legend of a hidden treasure map, Thomas must follow a trail of foreign dignitaries, royal agents--and even more victims--to unveil the sinister and shocking secrets in the stones…

Praise for The Devil's Breath

"Excellent…Both literally and figuratively atmospheric, this will appeal to fans of Imogen Robertson's series during the same period." --Publishers Weekly (starred review)

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 26 Feb 2016 21:34:48 -0500)

1775. Newly released from the notorious asylum known as Bedlam, Lady Lydia Farrell finds herself in an equally terrifying position--as a murder suspect--when she stumbles upon the mutilated body of Sir Montagu Malthus in his study at Boughton Hall. Meanwhile Dr. Thomas Silkstone has been injured in a duel with a man who may or may not have committed the grisly deed of which Lydia is accused. Despite his injury, Thomas hopes to clear his beloved's good name by conducting a postmortem on the victim. With a bit of detective work, he learns that Montagu's throat was slit by no ordinary blade, but a ceremonial Sikh dagger from India--a clue that may be connected to the fabled lost mines of Golconda. From the mysterious disappearance of a cursed diamond buried with Lydia's dead husband, to the undying legend of a hidden treasure map, Thomas must follow a trail of foreign dignitaries, royal agents--and even more victims--to unveil the sinister and shocking secrets in the stones.… (more)

Tessa Harris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,439,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible