A Northern Gentleman by Lane Everett

A Northern Gentleman

by Lane Everett

322,001,085 (4)None

No tags.

What a fabulous debut novel from author Lane Everett. The time period that this story took place in was also a great backdrop. I liked all of the different locations that Drucker visited along the way on his grand adventure. My favorite location however and the location that I really got into the story with was Clayton. The characters in this town were more engaging to me as well as Drucker's persona. Although, I did like seeing Drucker take on the different persona in each town that he found himself in. It was amazing how the people just believed in Drucker. Yet not all that surprising because the more I got to know of Drucker, he did give off a friendly, believable vibe. The ending when Drucker finally makes his destination was sweet. I hope to read more by this author in the future. ( )
  Cherylk | May 4, 2016 |
In her debut novel, A Northern Gentleman, author Lane Everett weaves an intriguing historical fiction story set in 1890s US, that follows the cross country adventures of Drucker May.

Twenty-five year old Drucker May is unsatisfied with his privileged yet boring life in Atlanta, so he sets out on a cross-country journey of self-discovery across America in search of his life's purpose. The reader is easily drawn into Drucker's journey, you can't help but become engaged as his adventures along the way brings many challenges that he must overcome, and life lessons that eventually lead him to discover his true self, passion, and life's purpose.

Author Lane Everett weaves a delightfully well written story that has a great mixture of witty sense of humor, and an authentic and rich description of the 1890s US time period, that easily captivates the reader's attention, while transporting the reader into the heart of Drucker's journey.

As a fan of historical fiction and US history, I was really impressed with the author's attention to detail, she made the 1890s come to life, and intertwines it with a lighthearted tale that kept me intrigued and cheering on Drucker as his journey of a lifetime unfolds. This is the kind of story that makes the reader sit back and ponder their own life's purpose, and challenges them to seek out their own life adventures.

A Northern Gentleman is a fast paced and entertaining historical fiction story that the reader won't be able to put down.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author / publisher in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Pump Up Your Book.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2016/02/a-northern-gentleman-by-lane-e... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Feb 15, 2016 |

Handsome and quick-witted Drucker May is miserable in the privileged life that he leads working at a bank in Atlanta. So he runs away. He wants to find what it is that he’s really supposed to do with his life and he wants to have a good time doing it. Because the year is 1890, the people who he meets after he leaves Atlanta have no easy way to find out who he really is, allowing Drucker to reinvent himself in each stop that he makes along the way to California. As he travels, he explores late 19th century America as well as his own identity – both real and mistaken – all while solving a mystery, falling in love and getting caught up in a wild west caper gone awry. This story isn't just a rollicking ride from one town and one mistaken identity to the next, though. It's the tale of a man trying to strike a balance between his responsibility to his family and his desire to be his own man. Alternately moving and laugh out loud funny, A Northern Gentleman chronicles the adventures that unfold when one man decides to leave his boring desk-work behind to seek out the life he's meant to lead and to find that special something that his life has been missing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 15 Feb 2016 00:35:59 -0500)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,191,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible