A Million Worlds with You by Claudia Gray

A Million Worlds with You

by Claudia Gray

Definitely a great way to end a novel!

Claudia Grey's Firebird series was one heck of a ride, throwing readers through different parallel dimensions through the use of a device known as the Firebird. This stunning conclusion has Marguerite face off against her evil doppleganger of the Home Office-verse, the one she refers to as Wicked.

One great thing about this series is how it brings you up to speed in the first few chapters. This is more of a first book thing, but I dislike how some first books assume you know things and throw you right into the action, with little hints here and there for you to figure out what is going on. Since it has been some time since I've read Ten Thousand Skies Above You, having Marguerite fill me in on what is currently happening was a good refresher.

I'd say this is one exciting novel - a bit slow in the beginning with Marguerite trying to stop Wicked by jumping from dimension to dimension, but so full of action in the latter half! There's definitely a new level of maturity coming from all the characters - AND even better, a solid ship with no love triangle. Triadverse Theo even becomes redeemable...

The theme of duality is strong in this book (and I've been watching Buffy S2 so I'd say duality is around the corner), and Marguerite sums it up pretty well with this quote.

I never considered how much it might change our fates by finding someone else's best self. Travel through enough dimensions and maybe you'd find the hero and the villain in everyone.

Makes me wonder where evil Raisa is lurking.

At any rate, the book ends on a more happy than expected note - everything wraps up so nicely, I didn't really expect it to happen. Too nicely, in a sense? While there is a level of tension and suspense that makes you wonder if your faves are gonna make it out alive everyone makes it out alive with a HEA too! (I mean this is a romance novel it's kind of expected but still...)

There's also been talk with Russiaverse Marguerite and how Marguerite was in her body and slept with Lieutenant Markov, getting Russiaverse Marguerite pregnant. There's debate of how this is consensual or not, since other Marguerite was acting on her own will, not necessarily that of Russiaverse's. It was addressed in this novel, but still makes me a bit iffy considering the way it was brought up. And the whole having sex again in another -verse's bodies. Never really thought of this before but still a really iffy situation. Up to readers to decide if this is okay or not but for me this slightly altered my view.

In conclusion, the Firebird series was rife with romance, tension, and angst that ended on a more-positive note, but it was an enjoyable ride nonetheless.

4/5 stars ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
I have recently discovered that I have a thing for books about the multiverse. Something about the unknown, about the possibilities... that excites me. This book, this series, did exactly that. I loved the world that the author built and how she changed it between the various multiverses. I also loved the mechanism she used to tie the worlds together. By mechanism, I don't mean the actual Firebird, but how she makes those worlds accessible.

There is a lot of science involved in this series, but it is presented in such a way that it explains what it needs to without being anything like a lecture. It also is the perfect tool to create villains and heroes. The science behind travel between the multiverses is something that has lots of implications and applications, some with less positive ramifications.

This has been such a fantastic series, so beautiful. And I am so sad that the ride is over! This is a series I highly recommend for anyone who loves a thought-provoking, exciting read! ( )
  Kiki870 | Jul 26, 2017 |
This was the third (and final) book in the Firebird trilogy. While I didn’t like it quite as much as the previous two books, it was still very well written and engaging. It did an excellent job of tying up the series.

The Triad is still out to destroy the multiverse and they have decided the best way to do this is take out all the other Marguerites in all the other parallel dimensions. The Triad is using the Marguerite known as “Wicked” to inhibit and kill the other Marguerites. That leaves our Marguerite with the task of running from dimension to dimension trying to stop Wicked. In each dimension Marguerite finds herself in a potentially life-threatening situation and has to escape out of it in order to prevent that dimension’s collapse.

In general Marguerite is visiting dimensions she’s already visited in previous books; I kind of missed the introduction of new and unique dimensions...this was my favorite part about this series. There is also a lot of uncertainty between Paul and Marguerite because of the splintering of Paul’s soul across multiple dimensions.

The above being said, I still really enjoyed how everything was so neatly wrapped up. I loved how people had to cooperate across dimensions to stop the Triad and how huge the whole thing gets. I also enjoyed the excitement and urgency whenever Marguerite jumped into another Marguerite and had to save her life.

Overall I enjoyed this series. It was incredibly creative and very intriguing to read. The whole series is well-written and engaging. I would recommend to those who enjoy books about science fiction and parallel dimensions. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 16, 2017 |
Finished reading A Million Worlds With You a few days ago - I like it.

This is the third and final book in author Claudia Gray's Firebird series. There are times while reading this that I was confused, primarily because it deals with the multiverse, and not merely one parallel universe. Hence, there are several versions of the main characters, specifically Marguerite. I appreciated the reference to past events that happened in the previous books as it helped refresh my memory given that I've read those books a while back. Marguerite didn't get on my nerves as much as she did in the first 2 books. Yes, she's still impulsive, prone to make emotionally-fuelled decisions which she rethinks and even regret afterwards. But for the most part she's become more mature and less self-absorbed. The ending ties up all loose ends while still leaving room for readers to imagine what might become of the Firebird project as well as Marguerite's relationship with Paul. All in all, I enjoyed this series. ( )
  VavaViolet | Nov 30, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,587,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible