The Father: Made in Sweden, Part I by Anton…

The Father: Made in Sweden, Part I

by Anton Svensson

The thing I find interesting about the book is that it's based on a true story about three brothers that robbed banks in Sweden in the beginning of the 90s. And, I have no recollections of it. Of course, I was around 12 years old when they started to rob banks and to be honest new around that time wasn't something I cared that much about unless it was things like the fall of the Berlin wall, etc. So, I was interested, to read this book even though it was a "fictional story" and not a biographical. There are similarities with the real robberies and the ones that committed them.

I can honestly say that it was not an easy book to read, I had trouble really getting interested in the book and most of the time I felt that the story just wasn't engrossing enough. But, that has more to do with me than the book. The book is in no way badly written, and for the right person that likes stories like this one will this book be perfect. I prefer more mystery stories, this story well, one know how it all will end. What I found interesting were the similarities between the boy's story and the cop that was after them. They both had the same kind of childhood, with an abusing father. They just turned out a bit different, even though one can't say that the cop turned out that well either since he really had relationship trouble.

I think that this book suits people that like to read fictional books about real crimes. If you, like me prefer books that have twists, then perhaps this is not four you. I struggled quite a lot to finish the book, there weren't enough in the story to really seize my interest. The best part was probably reading about the boys childhood and seeing how it formed the men they become.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review.

Read this review and others on A Bookaholic Swede ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 10, 2017 |
The Father: Made in Sweden is a true story turned into fiction as told by co-authors Stefan Thunberg and and Anders Rosalind, the two halves of the pseudonym Anton Svensson. Stefan Turnberg is the fourth brother from the family whose story this book tells. The storytelling is intense and detailed, and I find myself skimming through it. I want to know the story and separate reality from fiction, but perhaps not in all its detail.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2016/04/the-father-made-in-sweden.html

Reviewed based on a copy received through a publisher’s giveaway. Thank you Shelf Awareness. ( )
  njmom3 | Apr 29, 2016 |
As if this isn’t scary enough, it’s scarier to realize it’s based on a true story. When we first meet ‘The Father’ he is busy beating the mother – unmercifully. This is a basic background before going into the story of the sons’ life of crime. They were taught by none other than their father. The sons called themselves the Military Gang as they managed to steal a stockpile of weapons from the army before they went on to become bank robbers. Brothers Leo, Felix and Vincent are joined by their friend, Jasper (names changed). The father expected much from his eldest son, Leo, and indeed Leo became the head of the gang. During their spree, they make it to Sweden’s most wanted criminals list.

This certainly grabs the reader’s attention very quickly and at over 500 pages, doesn’t loosen up in the journey from start to finish. It’s historical fiction as well, taking place in Sweden in the early 1990’s. The author, Anton Svensson, is a pseudonym of Stefan Thunberg and investigative journalist Anders Roslund. Stefan was the second son of the real-life father in this story. The Guardian Feature Writer, Stuart Jeffries, interviewed Stefan in August 2015. I found the article most remarkable and interesting (The Guardian link). I don’t have any timetable, but this story has been optioned to be made into a movie with DreamWorks. Currently, the authors are writing a sequel (part II) of the family twenty years later now that the boys have served their time in prison. So unfortunate – the violence and what these boys were taught. One can’t help but wonder what could have been if the brutal situation in the family had been different. Written in a fictional setting, this is quite simply an amazing story that will have you pondering it for a long time. Rating: 4.5 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Mar 28, 2016 |
This book is very boring, so much so that after 80 pages I gave up on it. To be fair, though, I do not rate it.
  techeditor | Mar 18, 2016 |
Very well written, I was gripped from the beginning. The only negative to this was that I thought the ending was rather sudden. ( )
  dianestm | Oct 2, 2015 |
He's sitting in the yellow Volkswagen van that smells of sweat and paint and something else he can't quite put his finger on.

How does a child become a criminal? How does a father lose a son? An epic crime novel with the excitement of Jo Nesbo's Headhunters and the depth of We Need to Talk About Kevin, The Father is inspired by the extraordinary true story of three brothers who held Sweden to ransom, committing ten audacious bank robberies over just two years. None had committed a crime before. All were under 24 years old. All of them would be changed forever. In this intoxicating, heartbreaking thriller, the fourth brother, who was not involved in the real robberies, tells of three boys who grew from innocent children to become public enemy number one - and of the man who made them that way.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible