Hunting for Spring (Philadelphia Coven…

Hunting for Spring (Philadelphia Coven Chronicles Book 1)

by Katherine McIntyre

222,551,640 (3)None
Recently added byFangsfortheFantasy, STACYatUFI

No tags.

Conor is a hunter – but he’s never really followed in his father’s footsteps of cutting off all his emotional ties and his own sense of compassion. He cares – whether it’s about an injured dog – or a magical young woman definitely in need of help. Even if she does have her own secrets and her own agendas

And especially when there are far darker forces in the city: and his fellow hunters’ terrible methods of investigation

The foundation for this story is good.

We have an intriguing world with lots of suggestions of a broad world. And I do like a broad world with a wide range of magical beings all co-existing, especially if there is a sense of depth behind them. That’s always been something I liked. So this world with the many different kinds of fae (and I really like how many of these fae are presented as truly alien beings rather than pointy eared humans), the magic-users with their different powers and involved magic system. We have the hunters and their traditions and specific abilities and lots of hints of other creatures and other worlds

And I like the hints. This is, after all, the first book of a series, and one mistake many authors make is by deciding to push in their entire world system in their first book. Less is more when introducing a new book and new characters.

Hunters themselves have a beginning of world building. We can see they have some dedicated goals and they are a definite asset due to their training, drive and supernatural abilities in bringing down real threats. On top of that, I can definitely see – and think it was very well depicted – that Hunters too often see all supernatural creatures as the enemy

This does have a shaky moment though as we have a similarly awesome piece of world building. The presence of Seelie fae increases “art, inspiration and nature to humanity”. While Unseelie fae bring disease, destruction et al. This is a really interesting concept and definitely adds to the world building. Except the hunters apparently know this – yet still treat all fae the same. It seems like a bit of world building that doesn’t quite fit or needs some more expansion.

I also don’t like the plucking of Detroit as a real world example – because there are major systematic issues with the decline of Detroit that go way beyond a woo-woo “too many unseelie”

One shaky element I found of this book was the relationships – because there’s a lot of telling and not a lot of showing and a lot of the conflict of this book involves Connor facing betrayal from his loved ones. To feel the tension of this book I need to feel Connor being torn between doing what he believes is right and loyalty to his father and best friend.

And yes, that’s his father so we should assume a level of affection. But we don’t get to see that. We don’t get to see them all working together as a family. We don’t get a load of happy family moments. We don’t get them standing together back to back against enemies. We get no sense of them as comrades let alone loving family.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jan 3, 2017 |
HUNTING FOR SPRINGS had an original concept with a good cast of characters.

I want to start out by taking about the characters. As a hunter, Conor is expected to have zero emotions and kill without a conscience. Thankfully for him he has plenty of emotion and empathy. I found him to be tough, yet willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. Brenna's hiding a pretty big secret and knows Conor—as a hunter—will turn on her as soon as he finds out. She is pretty guarded—for good reason—, but you really get to know her as she opens up while partnering with Conor.

The romance between Conor and Brenna was one of those instant attraction, mutually guarded kinda things. Both have a huge draw towards each other, but are hesitant and don't trust each other off the bat. When they finally act on their feelings, events happen that pull them apart, only to act on their feelings again later and stick with it.

Although I found the story to be original and the characters like-able, I just didn't love everything put together. I wasn't excited to see what would happen next and I found myself bored at times waiting for the next big event. I probably wouldn't pick up a second book if there was one.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Mar 16, 2016 |

Katherine McIntyre is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,444,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible