Red Hot: Coffin Nails MC California (Sex &…

Red Hot: Coffin Nails MC California (Sex & Mayhem, #5)

by K.A. Merikan

511,436,638 (4)None

K.A. Merikan’s outlaw bikers strike again! And this time, somehow, the craziness and brutality sneaked up on me about one third into the book when I realized that both these characters are way more sick and disturbing than I had thought. I mean, yes, I got that Red Jack was a selfish bastard who thinks he is God’s gift to women. And “poor Loki” has that brain tumor to deal with and only weeks to live, so he is bound to be a little strange. But then, on page fifty-seven, at the end of chapter twelve, he rudely awakened me from my illusions about his mental state. He is as crazy as Red Jack – just in a different way – and I never looked at him the same way after that. And yes, you guessed it, the book gets even more intense and crazy once he pulled – that little stunt.

Red Jack is a law unto himself. His description in the blurb - Rude. Crude. Horny ginger mess. In love with… himself. – is spot on and I couldn’t summarize him any better. He is the definition of bisexual, yet he denies being attracted to men until he is red in the face – pun intended. Watching his transformation, slow as it may be, and ultimate growth was fascinating. It’s so slow I almost didn’t notice it, but by the end of the book he is a different man. Still nowhere near normal, but at least he has slain a few of his personal demons.

Loki had my sympathies at first. He has a brain tumor and only a very short time to live, so of course I felt sorry for him. He makes a bucket list of all the things he wants to do before he dies, and I was wiling to cheer him on. Then he begins to go after Red Jack, who is the ideal guy to help him cross off everything on his list, and I was a little taken aback. Loki is a stalker of the worst kind. But okay – brain tumor, right? But it keeps getting worse, and by the end of chapter twelve I realized he was just as bad as Red Jack, and it wasn’t because of the tumor. What a crazy, sick little f*cker he is! Amazingly enough he too learns a few things and begins to grow. I was glued to the pages!

Loki and Red Jack are as fascinating as the other main characters in this series. Their relationship is more volatile, because both of them are way on the other end of the “normal” scale – they may actually have fallen off it. There is less of an external threat in this story than in the others – Loki and Red Jack are threatening each other enough. Yes there is also an external battle, but even that is more about how Loki relates to Red Jack and vice versa. As brutal, gritty, and just this side of the limits to my comfort zone as the other books, this one focuses more on the “psychology of craziness”. There is still plenty of moral gray zone though.

If you like outlaw bikers and their crazy way of looking at the world, if you enjoy stories with two main characters who truly deserve each other because one is crazier than the other, and if you’re looking for a read filled with desperation, violence, and deep emotions, then you should definitely give this novel a try. It has the same pronounced “danger vibe” as the other volumes in this series, but the story underneath it all, as always, is well worth it – at least it is for me.

NOTE: This book was provided by the author for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews.
  SerenaYates | Oct 19, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,691,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible