The House Between Tides by Sarah Maine

The House Between Tides (2016)

by Sarah Maine

English (23)  Dutch (1)  All (24)
The House Between Tides is one of those books that I have wanted to read for a long time, I just never got the time for it. But, I've decided to go through my ARC's and read the ones that I've been meaning to read. And, I started with this one.

The House Between Tides title, description, and cover captured my imagination. The discovery of a hidden body that's been buried for decades is not the start Hetty had counted on when she arrives at the old house she has inherited. And, her restoration plan seems to fall to pieces too. However, she can't help being fascinated by whom the body could be and bit by bit will she discover deep dark buried secrets...

The book's story takes place both during 1910 and 2010 and I found both time frames fascinating to read about. Sarah Maine has written a captivating tale about forbidden love, regrets and how memories can consume one's life. Some secrets are perhaps not that surprising, but all and all was this book quite intriguing. The only drawback was that now and then did I feel a bit impatient with the story, not bored, I just wanted the characters to get some things to grip, like Hetty telling Giles off or Beatrice realizing why Theo was so obsessed with Cameron (which was pretty obvious why). I loved the books scenery. I could really picture the island and its wildlife.

But, the ending was perfect, tragic, but at the same time uplifting and I'm looking forward to reading more from Sarah Maine in the future.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for a free copy of The House Between Tides!

Sarah Maine has constructed an engaging story about an ancestral home and the uncovering of family secrets. Told in two timelines a hundred years apart, the book pieces together the story of an island, a family, and a literal skeleton in the closet (or, to be more precise, under the floorboards).

With a well-developed cast of characters, the book not only examines the family mystery at hand but also delves into issues of love, loyalty, and class divides.

And, of course, the setting is gorgeous. Maine does a beautiful job with evocative descriptions of the house and also the greater setting of the Outer Hebrides in Scotland. It's atmospheric, rugged, moody, and the perfect complement to the plot.

If you're looking for a well-written, carefully-crafted puzzle of a book, then I highly recommend The House Between Tides! ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
An old house, old bones, old secrets and and old murder. If you like books that weave together two timelines this is a good book for you. At first I thought each section of timeline was too short; not giving me enough time to settle in with the characters and situation, but then they got longer.

Each timeline has a heroine; Hetty in the present and Beatrice in the past. It is in the past where the titular house lives. Unfortunately, everyone in it is tortured, anguished and unhappy. Starting with Theo the misery surrounds and pushes out from him to everyone. The thing is, I never did really understand why he was so miserable. Unrequited love for a childhood friend was all there was, but it seemed pathetic and not enough of an excuse for his terrible behavior to everyone in his orbit. The fact that he killed about every wild creature he saw didn’t help matters. Oh and it took me a while to realize that the divers he keeps referring to are loons! Why not just call them that??

Of course there is a tangle of relationships and begots that can only be threaded by modern DNA and that does come through in the end. Luckily it is the end so you don’t have to keep track of how people are related, but all through the book you will have your suspicions.

Although the past timeline doesn’t end happily, the present does and it was nice to see Hetty finally open her mouth and assert herself. Sure she had some rebellious thoughts, but she was very passive throughout. Giles, the agents, James Cameron - they all basically pushed her down their agendas and she went with it as long as it allowed her to pursue the house’s history. Overall satisfying if not highly original or surprising. I’ve put her newest book on my library list. ( )
  Bookmarque | Sep 17, 2017 |
A very strong 3-1/2 stars ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
Following the death of her last living relative, Hetty Deveraux leaves London and her strained relationship behind for Muirlan, her ancestral home in Scotland’s Outer Hebrides. She intends to renovate the ruinous house into a hotel, but the shocking discovery of human remains brings her ambitious restoration plans to an abrupt halt before they even begin. Few physical clues are left to identify the body, but one thing is certain: this person did not die a natural death.

Hungry for answers, Hetty discovers that Muirlan was once the refuge of her distant relative Theo Blake, the acclaimed painter and naturalist who brought his new bride, Beatrice, there in 1910. Yet ancient gossip and a handful of leads reveal that their marriage was far from perfect; Beatrice eventually vanished from the island, never to return, and Theo withdrew from society, his paintings becoming increasingly dark and disturbing. What happened between them has remained a mystery, but as Hetty listens to the locals and studies the masterful paintings produced by Theo during his short-lived marriage, she uncovers secrets that still reverberate through the small island community—and will lead her to the identity of the long-hidden body.

What Did I Think?
100 years separate the past story from the present story which is told from the view points of Hetty in the present and her ancestor Beatrice in the past. Hetty dreamed of turning the house her aunt had left her into a beautiful hotel in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. Hetty had never seen the area where the house was located so the reality was more than she had ever bargained for. Not only was the house in danger of falling into the sea but there was an unwelcome guest already in residence...it had been there for the better part f 100 years.

This was Sarah Maine's first novel and she has created a top rate story. I can't say that it's exactly a riveting mystery but it certainly bears all the elements of intriguing. If you are drawn to the wild Scottish landscape and historical romance and mystery are what you love in a book...they you'll love this one. ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 18, 2017 |

"Following the deaths of her last living relatives, Hetty Deveraux leaves her strained marriage behind in London and returns to her ancestral home, a crumbling estate in Scotland's Outer Hebrides, with the intention of renovating and reselling it as a hotel, much to the dismay of the locals. As she dives headfirst into the repairs, she discovers human remains beneath a rotting floorboard in the basement, with few physical clues to identify the body. Who was this person? And why the makeshift grave? Hungry for answers, Hetty sets out to unravel the estate's secret-- and those of its former inhabitants, including Beatrice Blake, a woman who moved there a century ago with her husband Theo, a famous painter who seemed to be more interested in Cameron, a young local man, than his own wife. Following whispered rumors and a handful of leads, Hetty soon discovers that no one knows exactly what happened to Beatrice, only that her actions have reverberated throughout history, affecting Hetty's present in startling ways"-- "A woman returns to her ancestral home in the Outer Hebrides and discovers a long-buried body in the basement, launching an investigation into a 100-year-old secret"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,443,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible