Wild Aces: A Sexy Standalone by Marni Mann

by Marni Mann

751,138,814 (4.8)None

review to come ( )
  pcorrea3 | Dec 19, 2016 |
[b:Wild Aces|25324697|Wild Aces|Marni Mann|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1453209308s/25324697.jpg|45058498] is the much-anticipated spin-off of [a:Marni Mann|5400988|Marni Mann|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1369326877p2/5400988.jpg]'s [b:The Unblocked Collection|25945836|The Unblocked Collection|Marni Mann|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1437407489s/25945836.jpg|45845378] serial. I was interested to read Brea's story, wondering exactly where Marni would take us. When she first told us there would be a spinoff, I really though Marni would be pairing Brea up with Derek Block's assistant, Will. But then at the end of [b:Unblocked - Episode Five|24643094|Unblocked - Episode Five (Timber Towers, #5)|Marni Mann|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1433860693s/24643094.jpg|44255768], we learn (gasp!) that Will is a submissive!

So let's talk about Brea Bradley, who is spunky, confident and passionate. She is also Frankie's (former) assistant (now colleague), best friend and fellow wino. Brea and Frankie are the kind of friends that overshare right down to the dirtiest most personal details. For me, this is a rare kind of friendship, I can only recall one or two of these friends in my lifetime... and even then I don't know that I would be quite as open as Frankie and Brea. But their friendship made me nostalgic and miss all my gal pals (as I am still relatively new to my current city). Brea suffered the loss of her boyfriend, Cody, a few years ago, and the grief has made her gunshy when it comes to feelings and relationships. But Brea has been working through her grief, with some really great world-class, state-of-the-art, perfect in every way possible uh.. hmpf. But now she wants more than just a perfect hmpf and wants a good man to go with it.

Brea meets Trapper Montgomery at a masquerade party and, despite not being able to see his face, she feels an instant connection. She can never imagine just how connected they really are. You will fall in love with Trapper right from the prologue, which creates an incredible emotional hook to him as a child in the foster system. As an adult, Trapper has created his own family who are all involved in his life as a professional poker player. He also has a mysterious side activity going on that is revealed as the story progresses.

Wild Aces was sensual, but not quite as over-the-top sexy hot as Unblocked. That was fine with me, because we got more story, suspense and substance, which fit my mood at the time I was reading. Don't get me wrong - there were still some smokin' hot moments, just not quite so many as as the Timber Towers serial. There is some instalove going on, but it fit well within the story and I liked there was a bit of mystery. There are some crazy twists and turns that you won't see coming, and those are always fun.

While you don't have to read Unblocked before reading this one... I say do it anyway. Derek Block is one sexy mofo. I received an advanced copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. 4 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Wild Aces by Marni Mann
Source: ARC from author
My Rating: 5/5 stars
My Review:

Holy bugger, Batman!! Let’s just start there . . . .

Wild Aces opens with some serious awful. Trapper Montgomery is living in hell and at just twelve years old, he has no real means of escape. His only hope for survival is finally finding an adoptive home that doesn’t include sadists and/or rapists. Yeah, Trapper Montgomery is living in hell.

Fast forward a decade or so and Trapper Montgomery is no longer living in hell but he sure has the memories and scars of his time there. In the decade since he was last kicked out of a foster home, Trapper has managed to build a successful if secretive import/export career and made some serious cash playing poker. In fact, Trapper’s poker play is so good, it funds his import/export business and affords him a rather nice lifestyle. Though his professional life is successful, Trapper’s personal life is a mess. His background and current profession make it hard for him really open up to anyone and until he meets Brea Bradley, he hasn’t really had any desire to let anyone in for more than a quick f*^%.

Brea Bradley has lived through her own personal hell. Two years ago, her longtime boyfriend, Cody was killed in the line of duty and she has spent the last two years trying to recover from the tremendous loss. The first year was awful beyond description but the last year has been a bit better. Her real estate career is blossoming, her best friend and family are a solid support system, and her personal life is finally getting back on track. Meeting Trapper at her bestie’s masquerade convinces her the time is more than right to open herself up to the possibility of love. Trapper is rough and edgy, sexy as hell, aggressive in a gentlemanly way, and totally into Brea. And she hasn’t even seen his face! For the next several days, Brea and Trapper trade naughty texts, sexy pictures, and some deeply hot phone sex. With both convinced there is a real connection between them, there is nothing left to do but meet face to face.

Bloody hell!! If ever there was a meet and greet gone wrong, it is the one between Brea and Trapper. His appearance doesn’t just freak her out, it sends her spiraling out of control and convinced her ex is back from the dead. There’s an ego boost for a guy, right?? When the dust settles and the two are actually able to talk to one another again, the details of both their lives begin to tumble out which causes even more drama and distrust. Additionally, both have to dig into their respective past if they are going to have any sort of future together. For Brea, that means solving the mystery of Cody’s last days and for Trapper that means truly opening up and bringing Brea into his world and dealing with his traumatic past. Old wounds are opened as secrets are revealed as Brea and Trapper uncover one truth after another.

The Bottom Line: Marni Mann is back and better than ever before with Wild Aces!!! For me, this entire read is all about Trapper Montgomery who is a truly compelling character. Even with his course language (which I love) and somewhat sketchy (though totally honorable) career, he a good man with a deep and passionate commitment to his work. The moment he meets Brea, his deep commitment and passion are extended to her and for the first time in his adult life, he lets a woman get well and truly close to him. Their relationship, due to circumstances beyond their control is rocky and crazy but they are drawn to one another and willing to fight for one another. The road to their HEA isn’t at all easy. In fact, the road is incredibly and exceedingly surprising and awful but it sure does make for an excellent read. The naughty bits are well and truly outstanding and worked into the plot in a believable way. There is nothing at all gratuitous about the blisteringly hot sex in this read. Overall, Wild Aces is a hot read with good pacing, all kinds of feels, a tremendously charismatic and sexy male lead, and a plot that is filled with intrigue and surprises at every turn. ( )
  arthistorychick | Mar 4, 2016 |
Wild Aces is the sexy and much anticipated standalone spin-off of author Marni Mann's popular The Unblocked Collection! The readers were introduced to Brea Bradley in The Unblocked Collection, and now she gets her own story!

After suffering the tragic loss of her boyfriend Cody a few years ago, Brea has been trying to heal her broken heart, and is ready to move forward with her life. Brea meets successful professional poker player Trapper Montgomery at a masquerade party. There is an instant connection between Bre and Trapper, but as their relationship develops, they both struggle to overcome their past demons, can they go all in and let their love win?

Oh my goodness! Author Marni Mann always seems to weave a tantalizing erotic story that completely captivates me from beginning to end, and in Wild Aces, she definitely pulls out all the stops.

The reader will be easily drawn into Brea and Trapper's complicated and multi-layered love story. From their undeniable chemistry and emotional connection, to hidden secrets, and the complexity of their traumatic pasts, Brea and Trapper's journey will take the reader on one hell of a roller coaster ride where they will experience the full gamut of emotions and leave them completely spent.

This fast-paced erotic romance has enough action, twists and turns, intense emotions, humor, angst, steamy sex scenes, mystery and suspense, and struggles with past demons interwoven throughout the story that will keep the reader guessing and turning the pages. I couldn't help but love Brea and Trapper's flirty banter and sexy connection, and I easily found myself cheering them on as they overcome their traumatic pasts, and allowed their amazing relationship to blossom.

Wild Aces is a thoroughly enjoyable erotic romance tale that is a must read!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review.

http://jerseygirlsizzlingbookreviews.blogspot.com/2016/02/wild-aces-by-marni-man... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Feb 19, 2016 |
Wow! This one had me up into the wee hours of the morning wanting to finish but having to sleep – first thing I did this morning was continue on to the end…Just…WOW! What a marvelous story!

The prologue was hard to read but explained Trapper’s horrific childhood to a T. The first meeting of Brea and Trapper was perfect and oh so HOT! The week they were away from each other after that meeting built to a gradual head and an interaction that blew me away. There was a lot for both Trapper and Brea to process and deal with as the book progressed and it was all tied up neatly with a big sparkly bow. I don’t want to give away the story but will say I recommended this book to my siblings and will recommend it to all of you who like well written hot steamy romances with strong male and female lead characters.

Thank you to NetGalley and Book Enthusiast Promotions for the copy of this book to read and review. ( )
  CathyGeha | Feb 16, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,493,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible