The Trouble With Women by Jacky Fleming

The Trouble With Women

by Jacky Fleming

I enjoyed reading this devilishly satirical book. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
Update: several photos added to review

This is a really fun illustrated book (or should I say book of illustrations?). For anyone who likes sarcasm - you should love this book. A really fast read with way over the top sarcastic humour about how women were treated and thought of before the 20th century. Fun quick read!

I got this book free on Netgalley in an exchange for an honest review. This was definitely worth my time!

P.S. Some time after reviewing I received a lovely gift from the publishers, I'll post the pictures on the review. Thank you, Andrews McMeel Publishing!

avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
  TheIdleWoman | Aug 21, 2016 |
The Trouble With Women by Jacky Fleming illustrates, quite literally, the omission of women from the annals of history. I wanted so much to give 5 stars but I found the over misuse of the word genius too annoying.

I realize the word genius was used to make light of the intellect of these men in relation to the equally intelligent women of the day but I am already annoyed at the over use of the word every place today. Many of the men mentioned as genius were not considered genius even though they may have been responsible for important discoveries or ideas. I find this type of satiric humor more effective if the word that is repeatedly skewered was indeed one used in describing the object. Genius was certainly under-used when describing women but even Darwin was not widely considered a genius. Yes, I realize this is as much about my feeling about the misuse of the word in contemporary culture as it is about the repetitive use of it in this book, so it will likely not bother many other people.

One would think the need for such books would have decreased during our "enlightened" times but that is not the case. There are still many who honestly believe that early (acknowledged) creators, inventors, thinkers and writers were men because, well, they're men. Those are the ones who need to constantly be reminded that the history they learned bears only a passing resemblance to what really was. Unfortunately this work won't reach them and really isn't written in a manner that would persuade them, it is written for those who already are aware and like to laugh and shake our heads at those poor ignorant beings who don't know better. In other words, this book is written specifically to preach to the choir, so to speak, not to make new converts. That said, it could be used to educate if used as a springboard into more detailed history. I would have used it in a lower level WGS course when I taught or perhaps in a writing course to prompt both writing and thinking about what is being talked about here.

I would highly recommend this to those who like some humor in their history though it isn't very well suited for a reader who might still think women never were able to write or think coherently until the last century, or maybe even this century.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Aug 2, 2016 |
"TAKE NOBODY'S WORD FOR IT"
motto of the Royal Society
In the Olden Days there were no women which is why you don't come across them in history lessons at school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible