Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

War of the Twins

by Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman

Series: Dragonlance: Legends (2), Dragonlance (356 AC)

One hundred years have passed since the fiery Cataclysm that changed the face of Krynn forever. For one hundred years, the people of Krynn have struggled to survive. But for some, those one hundred years have passed in the blink of an eye. Catapulted forward in time by Raistlin's powerful magic, Caramon and Crysania find themselves aiding the mage's unholy quest to master the Queen of Darkness. To his dismay, Raistlin discovers along the way that the annals of Time are not so easily bent to his will. Neither are the longings of his heart.… (more)

I was never a reader of epic fantasy... and then I discovered the Dragonlance books and never looked back. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
You know, for a novel with an evil time-traveling master magician so full of himself that he wants to kill a god to become a god, a twin brother who alternately wants to kill him and protect him, and being dumped in a strange time to just "happen" to lead a huge army to defeat a bunch of dwarves...

This book's best feature is its LOVE STORY.

Huh!!?

Look. It's true. I'm totally on board with the whole evil machinations of Raistlin, how he manipulates everyone and takes on the title of another evil magician in the past and is forced to relive a seemingly unbreakable time-loop. The war stuff is certainly a lot more fun than the previous book's gladiator schtick. Even the brotherly love and the nasty betrayal is pretty awesome.

But what really makes the book is the epic romance. A magician of absolute evil and a cleric of absolute good, an undeniable romance for the ages. Hell, even his most bald-face lies have a germ of truth to them and while he's trying to turn her away from him, she just wants to trust him more. And more. It's a weird thing, this honesty. She KNOWS what he is, and yet she still wants to help him. It doesn't hurt that he wants to kill the Goddess of Darkness and that's kind of her calling. But still. He's DOING it to REPLACE the grand evil. :)

LoL, I'm all getting into a fanboy mode here. These two are a trip. I totally get why these books are classics. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
A cliff-hanger ending is a sure way to make me pick up the next book in a series, if only to glance at the opening chapters and see what happens. The Cataclysm has happened, we are among the ruins.

Caramon, Crysania and Raistlin emerge in the Tower of High Sorcery in Palanthas but clearly at a time before its re-opening. Tasslehoff, meanwhile, has a very interesting new experience in a new place.

The set-up to this novel was a good one, the brothers and Crysania wind up marching with an army, trapped in Fistandantilus' footsteps, encouraging a civil war among the dwarves in order to get closer to a powerful artifact that will further Raistlin's dark plans. This trilogy spawned a few more prequel novels, but not as many as the 'Chronicles'.

The ultimate issue I had was that, because this was a reread, I knew what was happening and the action and the characters our primaries meet along the way were not enough of a distraction for me. There wasn't enough here to keep my interest this time around. We know how this is going to end and we know we're going to get another cliff-hanger. This is a good fantasy trilogy, but a reader is better off picking up one of the omnibus editions. That are, er, out of print....

Dragonlance Legends

Next: 'Test of the Twins'

Previous: 'Time of the Twins' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Aug 1, 2019 |
The second book in this series picks up right where the previous one left off - sort of, as there are time travel aspects here that sometime get confusing. This is more about the history of the world of Krynn and what went on before the original trilogy. Great characters and good plot keeps this one going through the whole book. ( )
  Karlstar | Jun 9, 2018 |
I could not have loved these books more when I was in junior high. I think it was because I was in love with Raistlin Majere. God knows why. God also probably knows that I grew up to love his real-world equivalent, in many different guises – the common theme being the misunderstood, smart guy. Together, it was us against the world. What I didn’t see then, that only two decades has taught me, is that Raistlin didn’t just need someone to love him for him – Caramon already did that, and it wasn’t enough – Raistlin already loved himself. So, I think I am afraid that if you let your young girls read Dragonlance, they’ll date bad men. It makes me wonder, is the characterization in the book inherently flawed, skewed to somehow glorify the misanthropic?

I don’t think so. Ultimately, what I think was going on is that the Dragonlance series created a vast series of characters with varying personalities, and that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman managed to make all of them, from the uptight Knight of Solamnia, to the bouncy kender, to the mage discussed above, real people with real motivations, who could be loved, and understood, and cared about. If they are somewhat archetypal (stereotypical?), they are none the worse for it. Even in the real world, often artists do not act like bankers, and so forth, finding similarities among their own kind.

The Twins series is probably my favorite of all the Dragonlance books, involving time travel, Caramon and Raistlin Majere, and Raistlin’s attempt to answer the age old question, what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, if he loses his own soul? ( )
1 vote AnnieHidalgo | May 9, 2018 |

Weis, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickman, Tracymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cossato, Gian PaoloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sandrelli, SandroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
you who are sharing our journeys through Krynn.
Thank you, reader, for walking this path with us.
---Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
The dark waters of time swirled about the archmage's black robes, carrying him and those with him forward through the years.
Chapter 1

A hoarse, bellowing yell of fear and horror shattered Crysania's sleep.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,670,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible