The Audacity of Goats: A Novel (North of the…

The Audacity of Goats: A Novel (North of the Tension Line)

by J.F. Riordan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did not know this was the second in a series when I picked it up to read. That didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book. I will admit it was the title that caught my eye - I do love goats. And they are audacious creatures. It was a book full of quirky characters and a fun and mysterious plot. It's not a long book but a lot gets covered and you really feel like you are part of this little community. A great book for a rainy afternoon ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Apr 25, 2017 |
This is the delightful sequel to “North of the Tension Line,” and is even better than the first book in the series! The characters are delightful, there is a delicious mystery, and an eerily familiar political battle. You will love this book! (I actually read it in one sitting. Couldn’t put it down.) Highly recommended. ( )
  mbsam | Jun 20, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was another great read with wonderful and different characters along with "Robert, the goat". Fiona had a rather hectic road ahead of her but she was able to survive all the events. Stella was an obstacle in her life and a thorn in her side! Looking forward to another read by Riodan! I received this free from Librarything and Beaufort books-Thanks ( )
  lubazuck | May 16, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Oh my gosh I loved this book! I must say I loved the first book as well, and I think I may have liked this one even more. What a great kooky story about a bunch of interestingly flawed people. And goats! I enjoyed the new characters and also getting back on track with the old ones. I think this needs to be a series, I know I'd read them all and share them with everyone I know. ( )
  lorimarie | May 10, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Asequel to North of the Tension Line (which I haven't yet read) this is such a good book that I finished it at 1:30 this morning.

Things are not well on Washington Island. Newlyweds Roger and Elizabeth have much to learn about communication and each other. Newcomers Jason and Emily Martin are totally annoying individuals in that they know everything (just ask them!). Add to that Piggy episodes, screaming in the pines at night, a wonderful boy trying his best to do what's right and you have a dandy story.

Oh, yes, and Fiona's nasty neighbor has just decided to run for Mayor. (less) ( )
  macygma | May 7, 2016 |
The sequel to North of the Tension Line is just as charming and well-written as the first. And, the characters seem like family. Enjoyable and insightful read from start to finish. Highly recommend.
added by DHEIN | editsmithsonian, dhein (Jun 29, 2016)

All is not well north of the tension line. A series of unsettling nighttime incidents have left the islanders uncertain whether to be nervous or annoyed. Are they victims of an elaborate teenage prank, or is there a malevolent stranger lurking on the island? Meanwhile, out-of-state owners of a new goat farm seem to consider themselves the self-proclaimed leaders of the island; Pali, the ferry captain, is troubled by his own unique version of writer's block; and Ben, the captain's ten year-old son, appears to be hiding something. But it is only when the imperturbable Lars Olafsen announces his retirement, and Stella declares her candidacy for office, that the islanders realize trouble is brewing. Fiona must decide whether it is time to leave the island for good, or to make another reckless gamble.

Book two in the award-winning North of the Tension Line series, The Audacity of Goats is the continuing tale of Fiona Campbell, and her reluctant adventures among the pleasures, mysteries, and exasperations of small town life

All is not well north of the tension line. A series of unsettling nighttime incidents have left the islanders uncertain whether to be nervous or annoyed. Are they victims of an elaborate teenage prank, or is there a malevolent stranger lurking on the island? Meanwhile, out-of-state owners of a new goat farm seem to consider themselves the self-proclaimed leaders of the island; Pali, the ferry captain, is troubled by his own unique version of writer’s block; and Ben, the captain’s ten year-old son, appears to be hiding something. But it is only when the imperturbable Lars Olafsen announces his retirement, and Stella declares her candidacy for office, that the islanders realize trouble is brewing. Fiona must decide whether it is time to leave the island for good, or to make another reckless gamble.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:25:04 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

J.F. Riordan's book The Audacity of Goats was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible