Curse on the Land by Faith Hunter

Curse on the Land

by Faith Hunter

Nell is back from spook school and as a probie she's hands on and hitting the ground quickly trying to figure out with Unit 18 what is going on. Will she and Occam become a thing? Small spoiler, she fixes Rick's were issues (but is it really if you had read Cold Reign already?). Looking forward to seeing where this series goes! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Jul 16, 2017 |
Liking this series. Nice twists on the magic usages. Good characters. Nell has interesting family, coworkers. Need to see more of her family's current evolution -- things are changing for them. ( )
  bgknighton | Feb 15, 2017 |
This is a urban fantasy, no sex, lots of blood, lots of magic, plenty of death (but no one we know) and a cameo from Nervous_Nellie_100Jane Yellowrock. There is no cliffhanger and maybe a tiny hint of romance. I listened to this book via audiobook.

Faith Hunter is one of my favorite authors. Khristine Hvam is one of my favorite narrators. Nell Ingram is now one of my favorite heroines. It took finishing this book before I was totally sold on Nell. I kept thinking that no one can be as good as Jane Yellowrock and while that is true, no one can now be as good as Nell Ingram. Both women are strong in their own way and talented in different areas. Nell is an incredible investigator and even though she does go "rodeo" as Ricky Bo calls it, she does know how to take one for the team. She uses her upbringing to her advantage and my favorite parts of the story is when she reverts to church-speak to gain confidences of witnesses.

Yes, Ricky Bo is still in this series. I know, I know. Ricky Bo is Nell's boss so where else would he be? Well, Rick plays more of a role than boss in this book. I got to see more about the agony that his were-taint is causing him. I nearly felt sorry for the man. Nearly. He still broke Jane's heart, but now I know how much he's really suffering and how scary and uncertain his existence really is.

Seriously, this was a really good book. Khristine Hvam is a top shelf narrator and even though she does narrate the Jane Yellowrock, she modulates her voice enough to distinguish between Jane and Nell. That, to me, is incredible talent. If you like Jane Yellowrock, please give this series a shot. I was skeptical at first, just because it featured Ricky Bo, but Nell outshines all the characters in the book and she's brilliant. ( )
  NellOneBookTwo | Nov 18, 2016 |
I fell in love with the world while reading the Jane Yellowrock series, but I fell in love with Nell the moment I started reading BLOOD OF THE EARTH.

I did have a little bit of a hard time getting into book two. I thought CURSE OF THE LAND had a whole different feel than book one and the pace felt a little slower. We learn more about Nell's team and the magic that she has and how it works. The case that they are investigating and the tools that they use in their investigations seemed complicated at times, but the author does a good job of explaining things and once you get past the initial introduction to things they smoothed out a little.

Nell's character has changed a lot since the beginning of BLOOD OF THE EARTH. She is really growing into her new role and even changing bit by bit on a personal level. She had a really fresh and interesting way of looking at things that make her a great investigator.

I don't want to go any farther into things as there is so much going on in CURSE OF THE LAND and I don't want to give anything away. I do however want to close by saying that I see so much potential with this series and cast of characters and I can't wait to see where Faith Hunter takes it all next.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Nov 1, 2016 |
I received an ARC of this book book from the author/publisher. All opinions are my own.

Nell Ingram—new PsyLed agent, earth witch (kinda), and former member of an end-of-days Christian cult—helps uncover the cause of mysterious human and animal behavior and death connected in some way to the weird black mold covering the landscape. As usual, she’s in over her head, but manages to do her job, even if she has to break a few of the rules…

I’m starting to believe Faith Hunter can do no wrong. Well, “write” no wrong, at least. Curse on the Land is another fabulous urban fantasy novel featuring Nell Ingram, Rick LeFleur, and the PsyLed team.

In this installment, the team is investigating some mysterious deaths that seem to be connected to sentient powers deep within the earth. Several times in the story, Nell, as the narrator, is describing the experience of communing with the earth. Often times, she tells her team that the experience can’t be described in words—except that, since this is a book, this is exactly what she is doing for the reader. That made me grin. Yet it couldn’t have been easy to find words to describe these experiences in a way that made sense to the reader, so kudos to Faith for that.

Some of the more interesting side stories in this book deal with Occam’s feeling about Nell and about Rick LaFleur’s magical handicap—his inability to turn into the werepanther he is at the full moon. Ooh, boy, will there be some fans excited about THAT plot line. I gotta wonder if Rick’s issues will be the focus of the next Soulwood book or if any of it will spill over into a future Jane Yellowrock book.

The ending—well, really the cause of the mystery Nell and her group are solving—is pretty complicated and I’m not quite sure I grasped it all the first time around. But, that’s what the audiobooks are for! I pick up different details from the audio than I do from the text, which makes the reread (re-listen?) value awesome.

If you liked the first book, Blood of the Earth, I’d certainly recommend picking up Curse on the Land. There are no vampires in this installment, but there are certainly characters and story lines that relate back to the Jane Yellowrock series, and Jane fans are NOT going to want to miss this one. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Oct 31, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible