My Holiday in North Korea: The…

My Holiday in North Korea: The Funniest/Worst Place on Earth

by Wendy E. Simmons

Feels like China 2 generations ago... ( )
  LilySheng | Apr 21, 2017 |
What a dangerous, fascinating and unhappy place to visit.
This American Imperialist found some of this story funny but mostly it was sad. The people are so controlled, and manipulated that it broke my heart. The brain washing of the people is heart wrenching. The book was written with a sense of humor so it wasn't dark and gloomy but certain aspects hit me hard. It is very hard for me to see anyone suffer and be controlled.
The bathroom drama had to be the funniest thing in the book. She stayed dehydrated so she wouldn't have to use them any more than she had to. How this great leader trio, yes trio, long story, thought they could get away with be so superior without running water, toilet paper and the need for discussions just to use one is crazy. Oh the discussions, with any slight adjustment came a discussion. Everything about the visit was over the top looney-ville. The whole show they put on for the world visitors is crazy time, Twilight Zone acting.
This is one travel location I have zero interest in visiting. I saw more of the country through Ms. Simmons eyes than I ever expected to. I was worried for her safety, worried for her handlers, her driver, that at any moment they would do or say the wrong thing. I couldn't put this book down I finished it in one day. My last thought was that I am so glad to be considered an American Imperialist ( )
  TheYodamom | May 9, 2016 |
This is a captivating book. I was totally engrossed by Wendy Simmons's journey. What a fascinating, enigmatic country! I'm so glad that Ms Simmons was willing to share her experiences with us. I'm not sure I'm up to making the trip. I was greatly disappointed by her need to use profanity. I was glad that she seemed to use it less as the book went on. The expletives were completely unnecessary. Unfortunately it means that I cannot share this book with some people even though I think they would be interested in her travels, too. I was delighted by the photographs, but sorry that they had no captions. The body of the work explained some, but not all of the pictures. I'm glad to say that some of her photos are available on her blog with explanations. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, but would caution that she uses f*** and sh** with abandon through the early part of the book. I am ever so grateful that the publisher and Edelweiss shared this title with me in exchange for my honest review. It was a great read. I polished it off in no time, unable to put it down. ( )
  njcur | Mar 1, 2016 |

Most people want out of North Korea. Wendy Simmons wanted in.

In My Holiday in North Korea: The Funniest/Worst Place on Earth, Wendy shares a glimpse of North Korea as it’s never been seen before. Even though it’s the scariest place on Earth, somehow Wendy forgot to check her sense of humor at the border.

But Wendy’s initial amusement and bewilderment soon turned to frustration and growing paranoia. Before long, she learned the essential conundrum of “tourism” in North Korea: Travel is truly a love affair. But, just like love, it’s a two-way street. And North Korea deprives you of all this. They want you to fall in love with the singular vision of the country they’re willing to show you and nothing more.

Through poignant, laugh-out-loud essays and 92 never-before-published color photographs of North Korea, Wendy chronicles one of the strangest vacations ever. Along the way, she bares all while undergoing an inner journey as convoluted as the country itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:38:13 -0500)

Most people want out of North Korea. Simmons wanted in-- and she forgot to check her sense of humor at the border. But "tourism" in North Korea means you will be presented with the singular vision of the country the administration wants you to see-- and nothing more. Her initial amusement and bewilderment soon turned to frustration and growing paranoia. Here she chronicles the strangest vacation she ever took, accompanied by two female handlers who monitor her every step-- and guard their every word.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,333,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible