Bearing Witness: Stories of Martyrdom and…

Bearing Witness: Stories of Martyrdom and Costly Discipleship

by Charles E. Moore

Title: Bearing Witness (Stories of Martyrdom and Costly Discipleship)
Author: Charles E. Moore & Timothy Keiderling
Pages: 242
Year: 2016
Publisher: Plough Publishing
My rating is 4 stars.
Let’s start with understanding a basic definition of the word martyr, which is “a person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.” The next step I took was reading the Introduction written by John D. Roth and Elizabeth Miller. I highly recommend readers do read the Introduction as it gives a framework for the stories included in the publication.
As I read, I noticed that authors included many who died for their faith from various religious institutions or faiths. The authors started with those who are known martyrs in the Bible and continued to the present day. The book is a result of a project titled, Bearing Witness Stories and more information can be found at www.martyrstories.org
The goal of the project “invites Anabaptist communities worldwide to share their stories of costly discipleship, in hopes of inspiring greater faithfulness to Jesus Christ and strengthen the church’s unity.” (pg. 226). The book desires to collect stories of martyrdom from as many individuals and groups who desire to have their stories published. I can appreciate those who took a stand for their faith and paid with their lives in many cases. Some of the stories included in the book Bearing Witness should shake us out of our “self-focused” worldview and challenge us to live a life that reflects the gospel to a lost world.
I would caution readers to remember that in this day and age to slap a Christian label on something regardless of what it is whether music, books, magazines, etc. doesn’t make it so. It would be wise to appreciate the stories included here, but to also do further research into what one believes to see if it is centered on the Bible or elsewhere. I realize it is no easy matter to lay one’s life down for their faith. I just hope readers make sure they know why they believe what they believe so it is not in vain if the ultimate sacrifice ever faces them.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | May 19, 2016 |
Throughout the years men and women have suffered persecution for their witness of Christ. Bearing Witness is a look at 36 men and women ready to give their all, including their very lives to witness for Christ. Most tragic are the stories of brave souls standing for Christ only to be slain by others claiming to be Christians.

The book begins with the stoning of Stephen, the first to give his all for Christ, and the bystander, Saul who held the coats of those who stoned him. There are stories from around the world up to the most recent, the stories of those who died at the hands of Boko Haram.

These are important stories for us to remember and teach our children. Although we have had in the past an easy life of religious freedom in the United States, those days are gradually coming to a close. We need to be cautious as our country sets out to work against those of faith and we experience a political movement disguised as a religion creeping into the U.S. ( )
  Tmtrvlr | Apr 14, 2016 |
This book of martyrdom is different fromothers in that it takes mainly the Anabaptist martyrs, though it does start with Stephen in the New Testament. I was extremely interested to read about one which relates to SIFAT, a campus which I have visited a couple of days which a group from our United Methodist Church. by telling the stories of old and modern martyrs it made them even more compelling that even in our age some people have to die for Christ.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" "To Whom It May Concern" and "Tell Me About the United Methodist Church" ( )
  whoizme8 | Mar 1, 2016 |

What does it cost to follow Jesus? For these men and women, the answer was clear. They were ready to give witness to Christ in the face of intense persecution, even if it cost them their lives. From the stoning of Stephen to Nigerian Christians persecuted by Boko Haram today, these stories from around the world and through the ages will inspire greater faithfulness to the way of Jesus, reminding us what costly discipleship looks like in any age.

Since the birth of Christianity, the church has commemorated those who suffered for their faith in Christ. In the Anabaptist tradition especially, stories of the boldness and steadfastness of early Christian and Reformation-era martyrs have been handed down from one generation to the next through books such as Thieleman van Braght’s Martyrs Mirror (1660). Yet the stories of more recent Christian witnesses are often unknown.

Bearing Witness tells the stories of early Christian martyrs Stephen, Polycarp, Justin, Agathonica, Papylus, Carpus, Perpetua, Tharacus, Probus, Andronicus, and Marcellus, followed by radical reformers Jan Hus, Michael and Margaretha Sattler, Weynken Claes, William Tyndale, Jakob and Katharina Hutter, Anna Janz, Dirk Willems. But the bulk of the book focuses on little-known modern witness including Veronika Löhans, Jacob Hochstetler, Gnadenhütten, Joseph and Michael Hofer, Emanuel Swartzendruber, Regina Rosenberg, Eberhard and Emmy Arnold, Johann Kornelius Martens, Ahn Ei Sook, Jakob Rempel, Clarence Jordan, Richard and Sabina Wurmbrand, Tulio Pedraza, Stanimir Katanic, Samuel Kakesa, Kasai Kapata, Meserete Kristos Church, Sarah Corson, Alexander Men, José Chuquín, Norman Tattersall, Katherine Wu, and Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria.

This book is part of the Bearing Witness Stories Project, a collaborative story-gathering project involving Anabaptist believers from many different traditions.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:06:55 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,953,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible