The Weaver's Lament (The Symphony of…

The Weaver's Lament (The Symphony of Ages)

by Elizabeth Haydon

The review for the final book of a series that's been a long time coming is a tricky thing. On the one hand, this book really makes me want to reach for the first three which were the ones that made me fall in love with the series. There were elements in this book that I felt were missing from some of the middle books. My favorite characters got to play pivotal roles and be back in the limelight, and my least favorite ones were relegated mostly to the beginning. So at first I was really annoyed, assuming this one was going to be much like the previous few - but in the end the focus was on my favorite parts of the story overall. It definitely felt like a solid wrap to a good tale - there weren't any particular threads that failed to wrap up. I was satisfied with how everything finished.

However - it certainly won't be replacing the original trilogy in terms of my favorites. Several of the plot points felt contrived and annoying. They didn't fit with the way that characters and events has been navigated before (seriously, an offhanded comment results in actions that undermine the peace that the entire region has lived in for the years between the books?) It could've been much more powerful if the emphasis was placed on how this was a trigger point in millennia of uneasy truce. Instead it just felt like...well, there's no reason for our heroes to change the status quo unless I do something so here you go!

The thread of the love triangle has always been my least favorite trope, and this one was no exception. Ashe has always been a dull character to me, who has no particular redeeming qualities as a complex character. In many ways, the story with him, Rhapsody, and Achmed makes me think of the Hunchback of Notre Dame, where you're left with "well, off course the ugly person doesn't get the girl. That's just silly. They only get to love from afar".

Overall - solid book, an enjoyable series that not enough fantasy lovers know about, but when I'm in the mood for a re-read I think I'll stick to the original trilogy and leave it at that. ( )
  LSmith862 | Dec 12, 2017 |
"That is the end of my tale, with illustrations, my song, a symphony of Ages spanning from before the Seren War in the Third Age to the end of this one, the Sixth Age, which in what little I can see of the Future will be known as Twilight. The paradox is complete."

The Weaver's Lament is the 9th and final book in Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages. I have mixed feelings about this book. I do think it is a fitting end to the series. That said, I also feel unsatisfied with a few key points that happened. A thousand years have passed and the realm has been at peace. The first third of the book is dedicated to introducing us to all of Rhapsody and Ashe's children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc., even going so far as to explain their roles in society though they are all irrelevant to the actual ending of the story aside from Meridion. Then comes an event so completely out of left field that it doesn't make sense in any way other than as a plot point. It was just too convenient to be authentic, especially given the character involved. Just as the situation starts to escalate the perpetrator is easily dealt with and we move on.

Up next is the second half of the book which feels like a different story entirely. This is more along the lines of what I expected when I picked up the book. The pace picks up and I was swept away into the adventure that felt a lot more natural and in line with the characters involved, though it too feels on the rushed side. Perhaps that's my main complaint. The book is too short!

There are some things I really liked. I quite enjoyed Achmed, Grunthor and Rhapsody's little reunion. It felt just like old times. I liked that we're given the explanation of the altered timeline from book 1 and what history would have looked like had there been no intervention. The undead "guardian" Jarmon seemed like a nod to the skeleton guard in The Last Unicorn. If he wasn't then that is quite a coincidence. I had been quite curious about what the underworld was like and it was great to have that curiosity satisfied. Also, Achmed continues to be a bad ass.

The series could easily have ended with the previous book. I do think the things I liked outweigh the things I didn't so I'm glad I read it. Just be sure to keep a box of kleenex handy if you decide to give it a go as you're in for an emotional roller coaster. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 24, 2017 |
To my family
into which I was born,
married,
or invited,

you who have given me all the music I ever needed
to be able to sing this rhapsody
with abiding love and thanks
In the constant torchlight flickering around the dark glade, it seemed that the grave would never be deep enough.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076532055X, Hardcover)

Acclaimed author Elizabeth Haydon returns with a heartbreaking tale of love and valor in "The Weaver s Lament, " the ninth and final installment of her "USA Today" bestselling Symphony of Ages series that began with "Rhapsody."

In "The Weaver's Lament," the lines between the past and future are irrevocably blurred, and the strength of true love is tested in unthinkable ways. Bestselling author Elizabeth Haydon has delivered a spectacular conclusion to the Symphony of Ages.
"A full-scale tale of warfare and political intrigue that high-fantasy fans will enjoy. Fans of the series will be satisfied, and newcomers will find themselves welcome." "Booklist "on "The Hollow Queen""

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 18 Feb 2016 20:03:54 -0500)

"For a thousand years, the lands ruled by the Cymrian Alliance have been at peace. When the brutal death of a dear friend catapults the kingdom to the brink of civil war, Rhapsody finds herself in an impossible situation: forced to choose between her beloved husband, Ashe, and her two oldest friends, Grunthor and Achmed. Choosing her husband will mean the death of thousands of innocents. Siding against him will cost Rhapsody the other half of her soul, both in this life and the next." --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,739,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible