The Flying Phaeton (Throckmorton family…

The Flying Phaeton (Throckmorton family novels) (Volume 5)

by Edward R Hackemer

312,001,085 (5)None
Recently added byBertha_, edhackemer, strickerke

Goodreads asks the author to submit a review of the title. Here it is!
It can be hard to be humble. I gave up. But I can be honest. I wrote it, read it, wrote some more, re-read it, corrected this and omitted that, added this and altered that. I think. I've done it a lot. I hope the reader enjoys the story as much as I enjoyed sticking the words onto paper. Believe, me: words stick. I have also discovered that erasers don't work on computer screens. ( )
  edhackemer | May 9, 2016 |
The flyers & their women.
In the rural hillside villages north of Budapest, the townsfolk believed the tall, dark, black-haired, cryptic Dmitri Sterescu possessed a mystical, magical clairvoyance and could see the future simply by gazing upon the fallen oak leaves covering the forest floor.
“The Flying Phaeton ... Beautiful.”
~ USAAF Capt. Nicholas Throckmorton - August 29, 1942 ~
“Ducky!  We’re going to the cinema ... we’re off to see the Wizard, by Jove!”
~ ANS Nurse Sister Guendolen Peate - November 20, 1944 ~
“You will learn to appreciate the taste of Puerto Rican rum.”
~ Jovita Vasquello - April 1, 1946 ~

"The Flying Phaeton" is historical fiction that follows Nicholas Throckmorton from adolescence to maturity. His youthful innocence is destroyed by family tragedy and as the years pass, personal revenge transcends criminal violence and transforms to international comeuppance.
Lives are left to rust in junkyards ... relationships are ground to mulch ... and loves are recycled as the Air Corps Captain leaves a trail of memories across the globe.
Nicholas pilots through an arid marriage and climbs away from a dying love affair in the Roaring 20s before he levels off to lusty one-night stands, harsh revenge and personal reflection in the Dirty 30s. The world becomes engulfed in war and his turbulent flight through life then detours to Indochina and the Southwest Pacific as he navigates around steamy relationships, an emotional love affair and self realization during the Fighting 40s.
As World War II comes to an end, a changing world presents personal and professional challenges for the fighter pilot. Studying the view from the cockpit, Nick finds someone approaching from an unfamiliar horizon at ten o'clock high, and quickly learns that he cannot clearly see life's runway if he continues to focus on his stormy past.
This is book #5 of the Throckmorton Family Novels. Although it can be enjoyed as a stand-alone story, the familial quirks, quandries and questions of the previous four are clarified within the pages of "The Flying Phaeton".

Edward R Hackemer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,457,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible