Buddha Volume 6: Ananda by Osamu Tezuka

Buddha Volume 6: Ananda (edition 2006)

by Osamu Tezuka (Author)

Info:HarperCollins (2006), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:comics, graphic novel, manga

Buddha, Volume 6: Ananda by Osamu Tezuka

2007 (2) biography (9) Buddha (24) Buddhism (33) comic (5) comic book (2) comics (27) Comix (4) ebook (2) fiction (11) French (2) graphic (3) graphic novel (38) hardcover (2) historical fiction (7) history (2) India (7) Japan (6) Japanese (6) library (3) manga (62) non-fiction (2) Osamu Tezuka (4) read (5) religion (18) series (2) strip (3) tezuka (7) unread (4) Vertical (6)

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
Volume Six of the Buddha series tells the story of Ananda, a young bandit whose life had been promised to a demoness. The story shows his life and ultimate redemption with the help of a young slave girl and the Buddha. Once again, the story has an impressive emotional depth that also mixes with some masterful storytelling. The Buddha is not as much a focus in this volume as he has been in other volumes but his presence is nonetheless profound. What I find most interesting in this series is how Buddha's message almost literally unfolds in its telling. The didacticism is kept to a minimum and you see Buddhist teachings exemplified in the stories rather than simply presented as done deals. As I've said in reviews of earlier volumes, this series serves as an invitation to Buddhism and is not at all some sort of academic or catecetical presentation. I'd question my ultimate adherence to Buddhism, but my desire to find out more about it has grown considerably since I started the series. ( )
  dmcolon | Aug 9, 2008 |
The sixth volume of the Buddha series focuses on Ananda, a young bandit protected by a she-devil who has a bone to pick with Buddha.

This volume marks another excellent entry in a truly great series. As always, Tezuka's storytelling is masterly. His visuals blend seamlessly with the text and pack a huge wallop. The pacing is good, the paneling works to great effect, and the artwork is very expressive. This is an easy book - an easy series, really - to get lost in.

The story itself continues to inspire. Tezuka shows us what the Buddha teaches instead of telling us straight out. As a result, the book provides a lot of food for thought on a number of levels. If that's not your thing, though, don't despair; there's a well-told story here, too. I really think you'll get the most out of it, though, if you're inclined to spend some time thinking about what it all means in a larger context.

Highly recommended, but read the previous five volumes first for maximum impact. ( )
  xicanti | Nov 28, 2007 |
Bah. Take a Natalie Gummer class and then come back to me with a comic. ( )
  kaledrina | Jun 23, 2007 |
A delightful take on the life of the Buddha. I would not use it in a research paper, but the graphics catch the eye, and the plot keeps you reading. ( )
  Arctic-Stranger | Jun 8, 2007 |

The bandit Ananda finds himself possessed by the devil Mara and must reject his lover and commit a series of dangerous heists in order to maintain the devil's favor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,435,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible