The Pauper Prince by Sui Lynn

by Sui Lynn

411,664,912 (3)None
Recently added bystevenmg, SheReadsALot, PeggyDow

A Hearts On Fire Review

TWO STARS--To set the mood, let's cue the melodrama and 1000 violins. The angst should be worn like heavy perfume. Are you there yet?

Good.

Sui Lynn's "The Pauper Prince" is book #1 in the Changing Moon series. It's told in 1st POV (which usually works for me) from the barely legal, Lance Fitz. He just turned 18 and on the run, has had a crap life (rape/abuse which happened off scene) and living like a drifter of sorts. Set in Black Hills, South Dakota, Lance "borrows" some tools for his woodshed and gets caught by the future love of his life, Andrew. While running, Lance has his very first shift into his wolf. From then, his life changes for the different.

The story was liquefied sugar and flat. And truthfully, if Lance developed a case of turning into a female mid-story, I would not have bat an eye lash. He and Andrew had no chemistry. The shifter/vampire world created was interesting enough but this is supposed to be a romance so it's a FAIL.

Problems with story:

- The glossing over key points - Lance first change into a wolf, he readily accepts the change and wolf's nature. A missed opportunity -he was flat and so easily placated. We get more detail on making elk bone jewelry and pottery...too much filler and not enough substance. Another Lance states he did not know where he came from or his history since he's been bounced from foster home to foster home his entire life, Andrew's family miraculously finds Lance's records (with no problem) tells Lance and he's only worried about his love for Andrew? Are you kidding me? Shame on me for expecting some exploration from Lance since it's his story.

-Telling and not enough showing - Back to missed opportunities, I did not care for the writing style. Since Lance is a virgin to the shifter world, I did not get a sense of newness to his experiences. Everyone just tells him what to feel and he rolls over and takes it. (pun intended) Lance was pretty one dimensional, actually all of the characters. Usually, you could get a sense of different personalities with different characters but to me they were all a version of the same person. Lance just falls for a 77 year old, experienced shifter (Don't worry Andrew looks like he is in his twenties) and not try to become his own person? What I also did not like is Andrew and everyone else immersed in the culture sharing their expertise too little too late (Mating in the shifter world is a big deal, Andrew asks Lance to do this and doesn't explain the importance until later)

-The sugar mine that is Lance and Andrew's...love - It's beat over the head and too much. Lance can't stand anyone else, he's not trusting and can't stand to be touched. But he gets over it quickly for his "love". And the two nauseatingly declare each others love from 24% on! Then they asked each other a lot of "Do you love me?" If they are so insecure...maybe they should have never been together in the first place?

- Lance being told he is considered the "woman" in the relationship - since shifters are a matriarchal society and Lance gave Andrew a gift thus putting him in the female role. Why does he have to be a female? If I wanted to read MF, I would. I just did not care for this.

- The explanation given as to how the rape victim's feeling of being attack should take it. I'm not delving into it because it was just an issue for me. Others might not be bothered by it but I had to put the book down. And I'm not continuing with the series, so I won't harp on it.

The one thing that was interesting was the historical-ish tie in to the shifter history. Hint: Henry VIII I'm a fan of history, I thought it cool and would have loved to read about more of that and less on Lance and the melodrama.

In summary: Barely legal boy is on the run, he borrows tools, gets caught and falls in insta-love, no chemistry, *yawn* sugar sprinkles, "my love"/ "my mate"/"I love you"/"my life" was uttered too many times to count (could have been 100 or more but I'm not counting), sticky syrup splattered some more, shifters, MANTEARS, *yawn*, both men questioning their love a lot after declarations are made at 24% (imagine the other 76%, yikes), sugar cubes, MANTEARS, yawn-worthy sex in the last 10%, then it ends with "The Beginning".

Not for me, that's for sure. I bid you a good day.

I actually have a favorite quote that I think sums this story quite well:

"Too much sugar."

Indeed.

Less unnecessary filler and sugar could have made it work, this might have been better as a short story. *turns off violins*" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
2012 - Silver Publishing
2013 - Dreamspinner Press

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,401,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible