All Fall Down: an Avondale Story by Etienne

by Etienne

212,551,640 (1)None
Recently added byjpennwrites

No tags.

I don't write reviews. Especially when I dislike a book. If my problems with this book were limited to my opinions (below), I'd have sat on my hands. However, given recent events in the m/m genre, coupled with the fact I cite below, I felt the need to say something. Please don't shoot the messenger.
Opinion: 100% Tell, 0% Show. Also, “said” is not the only speech tag in the English language.
Fact: The 2nd paragraph of the 2nd section in Chapter 15 of this book is plagiarized from Wikipedia:

Variances underlined, Identical passages in bold:

All Fall Down:

“It’s the altitude. The boiling point of water is lower at higher altitudes due to the decreased air pressure. That may require an increase in cooking times or temperature and alterations of recipe ingredients. This effect becomes relevant at altitudes above approximately 2,000 feet. At that altitude, water boils at approximately 208° F and adjustments sometimes need to be made to compensate for the reduced air pressure/water boiling point.

Wikipedia:

High-altitude cooking is the opposite of pressure cooking in that the boiling point of water is lower at higher altitudes due to the decreased air pressure. This may require an increase in cooking times or temperature and alterations of recipe ingredients. For home cooking, this effect becomes relevant at altitudes above approximately 2000 feet (600 m). At that altitude, water boils at approximately 208 °F (98°C) and adjustments sometimes need to be made to compensate for the reduced air pressure/water boiling point.

Further Opinion:
I'm open to considering the possibility this author did not know at the time that what he was doing is wrong. It seems unlikely, but if that's the case, I've done my duty in educating him.

Needless to say, this is chump change when viewed in a context of wholesale thievery, and yet one has to wonder…. If a person thinks it's okay to steal a piece of bubblegum from the Rotary Club's fundraising basket, what decision are they going to make if someone happens to leave a big stack of cash laying around? ( )
  jpennwrites | Mar 5, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,766,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible