No title (2007)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Author) (2007)

English (594)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (610)
Georges Méliès was a magician who became a legendary early French filmmaker, the first to use complex special effects to tell imaginative stories that did not reflect the real world. He then lost nearly everything, including his films and his automata, due to business and financial reverses and the development of film beyond where he had taken it. This is a fictional story of Méliès in his later years, and the young boy who helps to pull him out of his decline.

Hugo Cabret is the son of a clockmaker who runs his own shop, and also works at a local museum, repairing clocks, automata, and other machinery. In the attic of the museum he finds an amazing automaton, a man sitting at desk, holding a pen, poised to write. It's in terrible shape, but he shows it to Hugo, and starts work on repairing it during his spare time at the museum.

When the museum burns and his father dies, and Hugo becomes apprentice to his uncle who maintains the clocks at a Paris train station, the memory of the automaton haunts him. After his uncle disappears, and Hugo is struggling to maintain the clocks on his own, and survive while unable to cash his uncle's paychecks, he finds the automaton in the ruins of the museum, brings it back to his train station living quarters, and begins to work on it himself.

This leads to him meeting the old toymaker running the toy shop in the station, when the toymaker catches him stealing small wind-up toys to use the parts in his repairs.

That encounter is the beginning of a marvelous adventure that uncovers secrets buried for many years--the toymaker's past, what the automaton is poised to create with its pen, and the source of the marvelous images Hugo's father remembered from his boyhood movie-going, and reproduced in the precious notebook Hugo has kept. There's magic and grief and joy and friendship, here, and a whole lot of fun.

Recommended.

I borrowed this book from the library. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
A great marriage of terrific illustrations and interesting text used equally to tell the story, this is a real graphic novel. It isn't the kind you find in the graphic novel sections in bookstores and libraries. It looks like its ancestry is the picture book, not the comic book. I'd compare it to Chris Van Allsburg's great picture books the same combination of unsettling but realistic pictures and stories - magical in a subtle way. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is a juvenile book. The story is good but you need to pick it up for the artwork, if nothing else. The pictures are AMAZING!!!!! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Hugo is a boy who lives in a train station. He used to live there with his uncle, but his uncle disappeared and hasn't returned; fortunately, he taught Hugo how to wind the clocks, and Hugo has continued to do so, so the stationmaster hasn't realized that Hugo's uncle is missing. In his free time, Hugo works on repairing an automaton that his father found in the museum where he worked; the automaton has a pen in his hand, and Hugo hopes that if he repairs it, it will write him a message from his father.

But Hugo's work is jeopardized when the cranky toy shop owner catches him stealing toys (for parts) and takes his precious sketchbook from him. He claims to have burned it, but his granddaughter Isabelle tells Hugo that he didn't, and he enlists her help to get it back. He does not trust or confide in her at first, but eventually they become friends, and it becomes clear that the toy shop owner and the automaton are closely connected.

Part of the story is told in text, part in illustration. Selznick's art is beautiful and evocative, as easy to read as his text, whether it's depicting people, clockwork, hands, keys, or books.

"Did you ever notice that all machines are made for some reason?" he asked Isabelle. "They are built to make you laugh....or to tell the time...or to fill you with wonder....Maybe that's why a broken machine always makes me sad, because it isn't able to do what it was meant to do...
Maybe it's the same with people," Hugo continued. "If you lose your purpose...it's like you're broken." (374)

Hugo and Isabelle were quiet for a moment, and then Isabelle said, "So is that your purpose? Fixing things?"
Hugo thought about it. "I don't know," he said. "Maybe."
"Then what's my purpose?" wondered Isabelle.
"I don't know," said Hugo. (375)

"I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too." (378) ( )
  JennyArch | Aug 22, 2018 |
About an oprhan named Hugo with a secret. He fixes the clocks in the train station in Paris, while trying to repair an Automaton his father found before he died. He uncovers a mystery and gains a new family.
  Jahnavee | Jun 5, 2018 |
The story is an engaging meditation on fantasy, inventiveness, and a thrilling mystery in its own right. No knowledge of early cinema is necessary to enjoy it, but for those who do know just a little, the rewards are even greater.

The carefully selected details make Hugo Cabret feel like, well, a machine, full of tiny interlocking parts, built to fuel a curious child’s lifelong infatuation with wonder.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is full of magic ... for the child reader, for the adult reader, the film lover, the art lover, for anyone willing to give it a go. If you’re scared of the size or the concept, don’t be. Open your mind, pour Selznick’s creation in, and be reminded of the dream of childhood.

With The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the American illustrator/author Brian Selznick seems to have invented a new kind of book. It's at once a picture book, a graphic novel, a rattling good yarn and an engaging celebration of the early days of the cinema. All in black and white.

It is wonderful.

Selznick, BrianAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Selznick, BrianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Hugo (2011IMDb)
For Remy Charlip and for David Serlin
From his perch behind the clock, Hugo could see everything.
Hugo felt sure that the note was going to answer all of his questions and tell him what to do now that he was alone. The note was going to save his life.
The coffee was hot, and as Hugo let it cool, he looked around the cavernous station at all the people rushing by with a thousand different places to go. When he saw them from above he always thought the travelers looked like cogs in an intricate, swirling machine. But up close, amid the bustle and the stampede, everything just seemed noisy and disconnected.
Hugo though about his father’s description of the automaton. “Did you ever notice that all machines are made for some reason?” he asked Isabelle. “They are built to make you laugh, like the mouse here, or to tell the time, like clocks, or to fill you with wonder, like the automaton. Maybe that’s why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn’t able to do what it was meant to do.”
“I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too.”
When you wind it up, it can do something I'm sure no other automaton in the world can do. It can tell you the incredible story of Georges Méliès, his wife, their goddaughter, and a beloved clock maker whose son grew up to be a magician.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439813786, Hardcover)

Book Description:
Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.

Amazon.com Exclusive

A Letter from Brian Selznick

Dear readers,

When I was a kid, two of my favorite books were by an amazing man named Remy Charlip. Fortunately and Thirteen fascinated me in part because, in both books, the very act of turning the pages plays a pivotal role in telling the story. Each turn reveals something new in a way that builds on the image on the previous page. Now that I’m an illustrator myself, I’ve often thought about this dramatic storytelling device and all of its creative possibilities.

My new book, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, is a 550 page novel in words and pictures. But unlike most novels, the images in my new book don't just illustrate the story; they help tell it. I've used the lessons I learned from Remy Charlip and other masters of the picture book to create something that is not a exactly a novel, not quite a picture book, not really a graphic novel, or a flip book or a movie, but a combination of all these things.

I began thinking about this book ten years ago after seeing some of the magical films of Georges Méliès, the father of science-fiction movies. But it wasn’t until I read a book called Edison's Eve: The Quest for Mechanical Life by Gaby Woods that my story began to come into focus. I discovered that Méliès had a collection of mechanical, wind-up figures (called automata) that were donated to a museum, but which were later destroyed and thrown away. Instantly, I imagined a boy discovering these broken, rusty machines in the garbage, stealing one and attempting to fix it. At that moment, Hugo Cabret was born.

A few years ago, I had the honor of meeting Remy Charlip, and I'm proud to say that we've become friends. Last December he was asking me what I was working on, and as I was describing this book to him, I realized that Remy looks exactly like Georges Méliès. I excitedly asked him to pose as the character in my book, and fortunately, he said yes. So every time you see Méliès in The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the person you are really looking at is my dear friend Remy Charlip, who continues to inspire everyone who has the great pleasure of knowing him or seeing his work.

Paris in the 1930's, a thief, a broken machine, a strange girl, a mean old man, and the secrets that tie them all together... Welcome to The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Yours,

Brian Selznick

Amazon.com Exclusive

Brian Selznick on a "Deleted Scene" from The Invention of Hugo Cabret

This is a finished drawing that I had to cut from The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I was still rewriting the book when I had to begin the final art. There was originally a scene in the story where this character, Etienne, is working in a camera shop. On one of my research trips to Paris I spent an entire day visiting old camera shops and photographing cameras from the 1930's and earlier, as well as the facades of the shops themselves. I researched original French camera posters and made sure that the counter and the shelves were accurate to the time period. I did all the drawings in the book at 1/4 scale, so they were very small and I often had to use a magnifying glass to help me see what I was drawing. After I finished this drawing I continued to rewrite, and for various reasons I realized that I needed to move this scene from the camera shop to the French Film Academy, which meant that I had to cut this picture. I tried really hard to find ANOTHER moment when I could have Etienne in a camera shop, but, as painful as it was, I knew the picture had to go. I'm glad to see it up on the Amazon website because otherwise no one would have ever seen all those tiny cameras I researched and drew so carefully!

--Brian Selznick