The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian…

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Brian Selznick

6,221527652 (4.31)1 / 492
Member:Heather39
Title:The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Authors:Brian Selznick
Info:Scholastic Press (2007), First Edition, Hardcover, 542 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:children's literature, historical fiction, clocks, Paris

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (2007)

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (Unoriginality)
    Unoriginality: It is the same author with many beautiful illustrations. Hugo is superior in my opinion, but Wonderstruck is still a very good read.
    The Arrival by Shaun Tan (teelgee)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you like books with (meaningful) illustrations for older readers, you might like this one, too.
    You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum (Picture Puffin) by Jacqueline Preiss Weitzman (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Great illustrations tell the story as well as any words!
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (FFortuna)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (kaledrina)
    The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (MField)
    Mystery of the Silent Friends by Robin Gottlieb (infiniteletters)
    The Second Mrs. Gioconda by E. L. Konigsburg (Runa)
    The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (zjeszay)
    Silent Movie by Avi (raizel)
    raizel: The medium reflecting the message.
    The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas (FFortuna)
    The Clockwork Three by Matthew J. Kirby (infiniteletters)

English (512)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (526)
In my opinion this is a great book! One thing I really liked about this book was the illustrations. They did not only enhance the story but also told parts of the story. The text would pause and the illustrations would pick up and continue telling the story. The illustrations play a role in telling the story just as much as the text does.
Another aspect of this book that I really enjoyed was the language. The text is very detailed oriented and descriptive. "Hugo set to work on the clocks, but no matter how he tried to distract himself, he kept seeing the handkerchief filled with ashes." (Page 139)
The main message of this book is to never stop dreaming and following your dreams. They lead to great inventions. ( )
  csmith109 | Feb 26, 2015 |
Selznick has a unique writing style that combines paragraphs and wonderful back and white pictures. I immensely enjoyed this book. Selznick engages the readers through the words with suspense and creative drawings. At the start of the book, the pace was slow and full of information. However, as the book goes on you are able to make connections and use the clues provided in previous chapters to solve the mystery. I think that Selznick is very creative and imaginative author. The overall idea Selznick leaves with the readers would be to follow your dreams, and never give up on what you believe in. Throughout the trails and troubles, the characters are all able to make their dreams a reality. ( )
  jspare2 | Feb 26, 2015 |
I loved the mystery of this book, mixed with the historical facts of the time and the first moving pictures. The drawings/illustrations in this book are truly beautiful, dark, and full of mystery.
  ssho2 | Feb 23, 2015 |
I liked this book for 3 reasons, first, the language used in the book is very descriptive and allows the reader to expand their vocabulary while reading. An example of this occurs toward the beginning of the book when we find out that Hugo's father was a horologist, or clock maker. Second, I like that the book contained vivid illustrations that allowed the reader to be consumed by the tone of the book. The images are found scattered through the book and allow the author to covey a message to the reader that the words alone could not. The images of the clocks' inner workings and the scenes from the films enhance the reader's understanding of the setting. I also liked the plot of the story, there were many times where I could feel the suspense or tension in the story. When Hugo was being chased by the Station Inspector, I could feel my heart racing for him. I believe that the big idea of this story is that all beings have a place in the world, but it is up to us to find it. ( )
  estree1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
Out of all of the books so far, this one has definitely been fun a very interesting one. This book is about 520 pages, however most of those pages are illustrations. These illustrations are one of the reasons I enjoyed reading this book so much. They give so much more to the story by wing able to see some of the still shots in the book. The reader can use their imagination to think about what happened between pictures and then every now and then, the text inserts help to explain what is happening. Another thing I liked about this book was the setting. It takes place in an old train station in Paris. Since there are so many pictures, we can see some parts of the station. I like that Hugo lives in an interesting place. He could have lived in a normal house, but instead he lives in the walls of an old train station and keeps the clocks running after his Uncle abandoned him. The story's plot also draws the reader in. From wondering what the images in the notebook are for, to wondering what the mechanical man is going to write, to wondering what is going to become of Hugo Cabret, the story continues to leave you wondering and leads you to want to read more! I would say the main idea of this story is to never give up. No matter what happened, Hugo never gave up on trying to find out what the message was going to be from the mechanical man. After he saw what the message was, he was determined to find out what significance it held. He did not give up and because of that, ended up becoming a magician and living with the old man in the toy shop. ( )
  tbarne9 | Feb 19, 2015 |
Readers will pore over not only the illustrations, but also the words, which are rarely wasted and often contain real wisdom.

The story is an engaging meditation on fantasy, inventiveness, and a thrilling mystery in its own right. No knowledge of early cinema is necessary to enjoy it, but for those who do know just a little, the rewards are even greater.

The carefully selected details make Hugo Cabret feel like, well, a machine, full of tiny interlocking parts, built to fuel a curious child’s lifelong infatuation with wonder.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is full of magic ... for the child reader, for the adult reader, the film lover, the art lover, for anyone willing to give it a go. If you’re scared of the size or the concept, don’t be. Open your mind, pour Selznick’s creation in, and be reminded of the dream of childhood.

With The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the American illustrator/author Brian Selznick seems to have invented a new kind of book. It's at once a picture book, a graphic novel, a rattling good yarn and an engaging celebration of the early days of the cinema. All in black and white.

Selznick, Brianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Selznick, BrianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Hugo (2011IMDb)
For Remy Charlip and for David Serlin
From his perch behind the clock, Hugo could see everything.
Hugo felt sure that the note was going to answer all of his questions and tell him what to do now that he was alone. The note was going to save his life.
The coffee was hot, and as Hugo let it cool, he looked around the cavernous station at all the people rushing by with a thousand different places to go. When he saw them from above he always thought the travelers looked like cogs in an intricate, swirling machine. But up close, amid the bustle and the stampede, everything just seemed noisy and disconnected.
Hugo though about his father’s description of the automaton. “Did you ever notice that all machines are made for some reason?” he asked Isabelle. “They are built to make you laugh, like the mouse here, or to tell the time, like clocks, or to fill you with wonder, like the automaton. Maybe that’s why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn’t able to do what it was meant to do.”
“I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too.”
When you wind it up, it can do something I'm sure no other automaton in the world can do. It can tell you the incredible story of Georges Méliès, his wife, their goddaughter, and a beloved clock maker whose son grew up to be a magician.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439813786, Hardcover)

Book Description:
Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.

Amazon.com Exclusive

A Letter from Brian Selznick

Dear readers,

When I was a kid, two of my favorite books were by an amazing man named Remy Charlip. Fortunately and Thirteen fascinated me in part because, in both books, the very act of turning the pages plays a pivotal role in telling the story. Each turn reveals something new in a way that builds on the image on the previous page. Now that I’m an illustrator myself, I’ve often thought about this dramatic storytelling device and all of its creative possibilities.

My new book, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, is a 550 page novel in words and pictures. But unlike most novels, the images in my new book don't just illustrate the story; they help tell it. I've used the lessons I learned from Remy Charlip and other masters of the picture book to create something that is not a exactly a novel, not quite a picture book, not really a graphic novel, or a flip book or a movie, but a combination of all these things.

I began thinking about this book ten years ago after seeing some of the magical films of Georges Méliès, the father of science-fiction movies. But it wasn’t until I read a book called Edison's Eve: The Quest for Mechanical Life by Gaby Woods that my story began to come into focus. I discovered that Méliès had a collection of mechanical, wind-up figures (called automata) that were donated to a museum, but which were later destroyed and thrown away. Instantly, I imagined a boy discovering these broken, rusty machines in the garbage, stealing one and attempting to fix it. At that moment, Hugo Cabret was born.

A few years ago, I had the honor of meeting Remy Charlip, and I'm proud to say that we've become friends. Last December he was asking me what I was working on, and as I was describing this book to him, I realized that Remy looks exactly like Georges Méliès. I excitedly asked him to pose as the character in my book, and fortunately, he said yes. So every time you see Méliès in The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the person you are really looking at is my dear friend Remy Charlip, who continues to inspire everyone who has the great pleasure of knowing him or seeing his work.

Paris in the 1930's, a thief, a broken machine, a strange girl, a mean old man, and the secrets that tie them all together... Welcome to The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Yours,

Brian Selznick

Amazon.com Exclusive

Brian Selznick on a "Deleted Scene" from The Invention of Hugo Cabret

This is a finished drawing that I had to cut from The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I was still rewriting the book when I had to begin the final art. There was originally a scene in the story where this character, Etienne, is working in a camera shop. On one of my research trips to Paris I spent an entire day visiting old camera shops and photographing cameras from the 1930's and earlier, as well as the facades of the shops themselves. I researched original French camera posters and made sure that the counter and the shelves were accurate to the time period. I did all the drawings in the book at 1/4 scale, so they were very small and I often had to use a magnifying glass to help me see what I was drawing. After I finished this drawing I continued to rewrite, and for various reasons I realized that I needed to move this scene from the camera shop to the French Film Academy, which meant that I had to cut this picture. I tried really hard to find ANOTHER moment when I could have Etienne in a camera shop, but, as painful as it was, I knew the picture had to go. I'm glad to see it up on the Amazon website because otherwise no one would have ever seen all those tiny cameras I researched and drew so carefully!

--Brian Selznick