The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian…

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Brian Selznick

7,001596515 (4.3)1 / 513
Member:Heather39
Title:The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Authors:Brian Selznick
Info:Scholastic Press (2007), First Edition, Hardcover, 542 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, D
Tags:historical fiction, children's literature, Paris

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Author) (2007)

English (578)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  All (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All (593)
This book is a great story that uses heavy illustrations to supplement the narrative written by the author. The picture allow students to analyze whats happening in the story by solely flipping the pages of very detailed images. ( )
  mbrook26 | Feb 9, 2017 |
Category/Genre: Chapter Book
Notable: Caldecott Award Winner

This book is a great read for third and fourth graders. Even though the book looks overwhelming with the amount of pages it contains, more than half are filled with pictures that tell the story. It is unique because of those many pages of illustrations that continue the story of suspense. This book is also great because it engages the reader into having to figure what story the book is trying to tell with the minimal pages of words. Readers are able to gain their own interpretations of what the pictures are telling them. ( )
  Diana.Vigil | Jan 30, 2017 |
The Invention of Hugo Cabret is the story of Hugo, a young boy who secretly lives in the train station. There are several mysteries to be solved about Hugo and the man who own the toy shop that keep the reader turning page after page. I can’t even tell you what most of the mysteries are because that would be spoiling other mysteries!

Don’t be intimidated by the books hefty 511 pages. Probably at least half of that are pages of Selznick’s illustrations. And they are wonderful. The amount of detail in these gorgeous pencil drawings is amazing. He has a gift for drawing facial expressions too. Even without reading the words, the reader knows exactly how the characters are feeling in any given drawing. He also includes a few sketches done by the real Georges Méliès. While Méliès was a real person, Hugo is fictional and therefore so is the story. The acknowledgements at the end clarify which elements of the story were based on facts and real-life events.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is an entertaining and original book and would be even without the illustrations. The inclusion of the pictures make the book down-right amazing. ( )
1 vote mcelhra | Jan 30, 2017 |
Exceptionally creative, lovely, and exciting book by Brian Selznick. Enjoy while you can before the movie version ruins it forever. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Hugo lives in the walls of a train station, winding the clocks so they keep the correct time for the passengers. His father had been a clock maker, and taught Hugo all he knew, so Hugo loves tinkering with gears. His father was working on a secret automaton when he died; Hugo takes over repairing the automaton, convinced it will give him a message from his father. This is my second Selznick book, but I liked The Marvels more. This is told in a similar way, using illustrations and prose, but the ending was a bit of a let-down. I do love how Selznick bases all of his books on something true, though. I think that is a great way to get younger readers into history and research. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
Readers will pore over not only the illustrations, but also the words, which are rarely wasted and often contain real wisdom.

The story is an engaging meditation on fantasy, inventiveness, and a thrilling mystery in its own right. No knowledge of early cinema is necessary to enjoy it, but for those who do know just a little, the rewards are even greater.

The carefully selected details make Hugo Cabret feel like, well, a machine, full of tiny interlocking parts, built to fuel a curious child’s lifelong infatuation with wonder.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is full of magic ... for the child reader, for the adult reader, the film lover, the art lover, for anyone willing to give it a go. If you’re scared of the size or the concept, don’t be. Open your mind, pour Selznick’s creation in, and be reminded of the dream of childhood.

With The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the American illustrator/author Brian Selznick seems to have invented a new kind of book. It's at once a picture book, a graphic novel, a rattling good yarn and an engaging celebration of the early days of the cinema. All in black and white.

Selznick, BrianAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Selznick, BrianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Hugo (2011IMDb)
For Remy Charlip and for David Serlin
From his perch behind the clock, Hugo could see everything.
Hugo felt sure that the note was going to answer all of his questions and tell him what to do now that he was alone. The note was going to save his life.
The coffee was hot, and as Hugo let it cool, he looked around the cavernous station at all the people rushing by with a thousand different places to go. When he saw them from above he always thought the travelers looked like cogs in an intricate, swirling machine. But up close, amid the bustle and the stampede, everything just seemed noisy and disconnected.
Hugo though about his father’s description of the automaton. “Did you ever notice that all machines are made for some reason?” he asked Isabelle. “They are built to make you laugh, like the mouse here, or to tell the time, like clocks, or to fill you with wonder, like the automaton. Maybe that’s why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn’t able to do what it was meant to do.”
“I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too.”
When you wind it up, it can do something I'm sure no other automaton in the world can do. It can tell you the incredible story of Georges Méliès, his wife, their goddaughter, and a beloved clock maker whose son grew up to be a magician.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439813786, Hardcover)

Book Description:
Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.

Amazon.com Exclusive

A Letter from Brian Selznick

Dear readers,

When I was a kid, two of my favorite books were by an amazing man named Remy Charlip. Fortunately and Thirteen fascinated me in part because, in both books, the very act of turning the pages plays a pivotal role in telling the story. Each turn reveals something new in a way that builds on the image on the previous page. Now that I’m an illustrator myself, I’ve often thought about this dramatic storytelling device and all of its creative possibilities.

My new book, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, is a 550 page novel in words and pictures. But unlike most novels, the images in my new book don't just illustrate the story; they help tell it. I've used the lessons I learned from Remy Charlip and other masters of the picture book to create something that is not a exactly a novel, not quite a picture book, not really a graphic novel, or a flip book or a movie, but a combination of all these things.

I began thinking about this book ten years ago after seeing some of the magical films of Georges Méliès, the father of science-fiction movies. But it wasn’t until I read a book called Edison's Eve: The Quest for Mechanical Life by Gaby Woods that my story began to come into focus. I discovered that Méliès had a collection of mechanical, wind-up figures (called automata) that were donated to a museum, but which were later destroyed and thrown away. Instantly, I imagined a boy discovering these broken, rusty machines in the garbage, stealing one and attempting to fix it. At that moment, Hugo Cabret was born.

A few years ago, I had the honor of meeting Remy Charlip, and I'm proud to say that we've become friends. Last December he was asking me what I was working on, and as I was describing this book to him, I realized that Remy looks exactly like Georges Méliès. I excitedly asked him to pose as the character in my book, and fortunately, he said yes. So every time you see Méliès in The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the person you are really looking at is my dear friend Remy Charlip, who continues to inspire everyone who has the great pleasure of knowing him or seeing his work.

Paris in the 1930's, a thief, a broken machine, a strange girl, a mean old man, and the secrets that tie them all together... Welcome to The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Yours,

Brian Selznick

Amazon.com Exclusive

Brian Selznick on a "Deleted Scene" from The Invention of Hugo Cabret

This is a finished drawing that I had to cut from The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I was still rewriting the book when I had to begin the final art. There was originally a scene in the story where this character, Etienne, is working in a camera shop. On one of my research trips to Paris I spent an entire day visiting old camera shops and photographing cameras from the 1930's and earlier, as well as the facades of the shops themselves. I researched original French camera posters and made sure that the counter and the shelves were accurate to the time period. I did all the drawings in the book at 1/4 scale, so they were very small and I often had to use a magnifying glass to help me see what I was drawing. After I finished this drawing I continued to rewrite, and for various reasons I realized that I needed to move this scene from the camera shop to the French Film Academy, which meant that I had to cut this picture. I tried really hard to find ANOTHER moment when I could have Etienne in a camera shop, but, as painful as it was, I knew the picture had to go. I'm glad to see it up on the Amazon website because otherwise no one would have ever seen all those tiny cameras I researched and drew so carefully!

--Brian Selznick