The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian…

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Brian Selznick

6,692575559 (4.3)1 / 508
Member:Heather39
Title:The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Authors:Brian Selznick
Info:Scholastic Press (2007), First Edition, Hardcover, 542 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:historical fiction, children's literature, Paris

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Author) (2007)

English (559)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (573)
I love this book. The illustrations are beautiful! ( )
  fairserenity | May 3, 2016 |
This is an informational, historical, and slightly fantasy book. I am amazed at how much detail and creativity went into this book. It is by far the largest picture book I have ever read, and I can't wait to see what else Selznick has to offer. This book was slightly ruined for me because I had seen the movie a few years after it came out, at that point I didn't even know it was a book, so I watched it. A decision I regret because, it was a great book, but a so-so movie. The book follows Hugo, an orphan living inside a train station and the adventure he takes to solve the mystery behind a machine. I think what I liked most about this book, aside from character development, story line, plot, and authentic time set, was the real story hidden within the book. I enjoy books that are based, at least partly, off of real events. In this case we explore the works of Georges Méliès a film maker, illusionist, and inventor. I think a book is good if you can read it at any age and learn something. I think it is a great book if you can learn from reading it, and not even realize it until after the knowledge is implanted. This, to me was one of those great books and I think one children (or anyone really) will enjoy. Media:Graphite and Pencil
  wcarlisle15 | Apr 17, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this story and it has such terrific illustrations. I thought it was just so full of struggle, mystery, sadness, and transitions. There are a lot of illustrations so it does not take long to read. I think this book would be great for 6th graders and especially anyone who likes to build things. I would definitely show students the intricate drawings that go with the story.
  Adam_sundstrom | Apr 15, 2016 |
The illustrations of this book along with the words create a captivating story. The illustrations add to the story a lot. I also thought that the concept of a novel with so many pictures was refreshing. The book is about 550 pages long, but a lot of that are pictures; it is the longest book of that style that I have seen.
There are a lot of different ways to use this book in the classroom. For one, I think it is really jsut a great option for a child who is having trouble finding chapter books (novels) that interest them-- some children are very visual and it could be a good "in-between" sort of book that combines the length and stamina needed for a chapter book with a large array of pictures. This book could also be used for activities that have to do with looking at how pictures add to a story and the ways that the reader can use pictures to help them tell their own story.
  MsSpartas | Apr 10, 2016 |
I love children's books, I find they to have a certain charm and magic that many books written for adults lack. The story about Hugo and the autamaton that changed his life is; endearing, exciting, lovely, and all the synonyms for it. I love the illustrations, I found they strengthened the story development, they were also gorgeous (therefor I tried to really look at them, down to the very detail). It's a very nice light read, and really I think this is suitable for any kind of reader, for a little magic & adventure in your everyday life. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
Readers will pore over not only the illustrations, but also the words, which are rarely wasted and often contain real wisdom.

The story is an engaging meditation on fantasy, inventiveness, and a thrilling mystery in its own right. No knowledge of early cinema is necessary to enjoy it, but for those who do know just a little, the rewards are even greater.

The carefully selected details make Hugo Cabret feel like, well, a machine, full of tiny interlocking parts, built to fuel a curious child’s lifelong infatuation with wonder.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is full of magic ... for the child reader, for the adult reader, the film lover, the art lover, for anyone willing to give it a go. If you’re scared of the size or the concept, don’t be. Open your mind, pour Selznick’s creation in, and be reminded of the dream of childhood.

With The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the American illustrator/author Brian Selznick seems to have invented a new kind of book. It's at once a picture book, a graphic novel, a rattling good yarn and an engaging celebration of the early days of the cinema. All in black and white.

Selznick, BrianAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Selznick, BrianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Hugo (2011IMDb)
For Remy Charlip and for David Serlin
From his perch behind the clock, Hugo could see everything.
Hugo felt sure that the note was going to answer all of his questions and tell him what to do now that he was alone. The note was going to save his life.
The coffee was hot, and as Hugo let it cool, he looked around the cavernous station at all the people rushing by with a thousand different places to go. When he saw them from above he always thought the travelers looked like cogs in an intricate, swirling machine. But up close, amid the bustle and the stampede, everything just seemed noisy and disconnected.
Hugo though about his father’s description of the automaton. “Did you ever notice that all machines are made for some reason?” he asked Isabelle. “They are built to make you laugh, like the mouse here, or to tell the time, like clocks, or to fill you with wonder, like the automaton. Maybe that’s why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn’t able to do what it was meant to do.”
“I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too.”
When you wind it up, it can do something I'm sure no other automaton in the world can do. It can tell you the incredible story of Georges Méliès, his wife, their goddaughter, and a beloved clock maker whose son grew up to be a magician.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439813786, Hardcover)

Book Description:
Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.

Amazon.com Exclusive

A Letter from Brian Selznick

Dear readers,

When I was a kid, two of my favorite books were by an amazing man named Remy Charlip. Fortunately and Thirteen fascinated me in part because, in both books, the very act of turning the pages plays a pivotal role in telling the story. Each turn reveals something new in a way that builds on the image on the previous page. Now that I’m an illustrator myself, I’ve often thought about this dramatic storytelling device and all of its creative possibilities.

My new book, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, is a 550 page novel in words and pictures. But unlike most novels, the images in my new book don't just illustrate the story; they help tell it. I've used the lessons I learned from Remy Charlip and other masters of the picture book to create something that is not a exactly a novel, not quite a picture book, not really a graphic novel, or a flip book or a movie, but a combination of all these things.

I began thinking about this book ten years ago after seeing some of the magical films of Georges Méliès, the father of science-fiction movies. But it wasn’t until I read a book called Edison's Eve: The Quest for Mechanical Life by Gaby Woods that my story began to come into focus. I discovered that Méliès had a collection of mechanical, wind-up figures (called automata) that were donated to a museum, but which were later destroyed and thrown away. Instantly, I imagined a boy discovering these broken, rusty machines in the garbage, stealing one and attempting to fix it. At that moment, Hugo Cabret was born.

A few years ago, I had the honor of meeting Remy Charlip, and I'm proud to say that we've become friends. Last December he was asking me what I was working on, and as I was describing this book to him, I realized that Remy looks exactly like Georges Méliès. I excitedly asked him to pose as the character in my book, and fortunately, he said yes. So every time you see Méliès in The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the person you are really looking at is my dear friend Remy Charlip, who continues to inspire everyone who has the great pleasure of knowing him or seeing his work.

Paris in the 1930's, a thief, a broken machine, a strange girl, a mean old man, and the secrets that tie them all together... Welcome to The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Yours,

Brian Selznick

Amazon.com Exclusive

Brian Selznick on a "Deleted Scene" from The Invention of Hugo Cabret

This is a finished drawing that I had to cut from The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I was still rewriting the book when I had to begin the final art. There was originally a scene in the story where this character, Etienne, is working in a camera shop. On one of my research trips to Paris I spent an entire day visiting old camera shops and photographing cameras from the 1930's and earlier, as well as the facades of the shops themselves. I researched original French camera posters and made sure that the counter and the shelves were accurate to the time period. I did all the drawings in the book at 1/4 scale, so they were very small and I often had to use a magnifying glass to help me see what I was drawing. After I finished this drawing I continued to rewrite, and for various reasons I realized that I needed to move this scene from the camera shop to the French Film Academy, which meant that I had to cut this picture. I tried really hard to find ANOTHER moment when I could have Etienne in a camera shop, but, as painful as it was, I knew the picture had to go. I'm glad to see it up on the Amazon website because otherwise no one would have ever seen all those tiny cameras I researched and drew so carefully!

--Brian Selznick