The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian…

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Brian Selznick

6,070507683 (4.32)1 / 480
Member:Heather39
Title:The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Authors:Brian Selznick
Info:Scholastic Press (2007), First Edition, Hardcover, 542 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:children's literature, historical fiction, clocks, Paris

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (2007)

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (Unoriginality)
    Unoriginality: It is the same author with many beautiful illustrations. Hugo is superior in my opinion, but Wonderstruck is still a very good read.
    The Arrival by Shaun Tan (teelgee)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you like books with (meaningful) illustrations for older readers, you might like this one, too.
    You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum (Picture Puffin) by Jacqueline Preiss Weitzman (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Great illustrations tell the story as well as any words!
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (FFortuna)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (kaledrina)
    The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (MField)
    Mystery of the Silent Friends by Robin Gottlieb (infiniteletters)
    The Second Mrs. Gioconda by E. L. Konigsburg (Runa)
    The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (zjeszay)
    Silent Movie by Avi (raizel)
    raizel: The medium reflecting the message.
    The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas (FFortuna)
    The Clockwork Three by Matthew J. Kirby (infiniteletters)

English (492)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (506)
Orphaned Hugo Cabret is living in a train station in 1930s Paris, caretaking the clocks, when he stumbles upon a mystery involving an automaton, the first movies ever made, and the old man running the toy booth in the station.

I got this as an audiobook for a car trip, not knowing it was originally a graphic novel. Finding that out explains why I felt the audiobook was unsatisfactory. At some point, I plan to get this in its intended format, and read and review that. At this point, I can only review the audio version, and I can't recommend it. I also find it difficult to understand why the publishers felt that a primarily visual book would translate at all well to audio format.

Listened to on vacation (July 2014) ( )
  sturlington | Jul 27, 2014 |
I can say that I am glad I picked up this hefty book.

Pictures:
Beyond beautiful! Just the pictures themselves are more than worth getting this book! This book gets a 5/5 stars just for the pictures alone. The mention of pictures in this book was what made me actually pick it up. I wasn't going to because I thought it was just another hefty boring book about inventions. Then the Booktuber who was talking about it, said it was a book with gorgeous pictures, I had to look into it. I believe I remember her showing them and my finding them to be gorgeous! And I had the book in my hands within a few weeks after that. Now, I still can not remember who did this video...But I am grateful she did!

Story:

Hugo:
Well, throughout the story, I adored Hugo. For him to be so young, he found a way to make it and survive in a big world to a child his age. He showed a lot more spunk and strength than I think many of us adults wouldn't be able to show.

Isabelle:
Throughout a lot of the story, Isabelle worked on my last nerve! I won't say what got on my nerves about her because I don't want to give too much away (and plus, I want to see if anyone else noticed it as well if they comment on this). As the story went on though, I found myself liking her more and more because she finally started to develop into a sweet girl who just needed someone to help her grow!

The god-parents:
For much of the story, you just saw the god-father and he was a bit of a hard man, but I kind of understood why...kind of but I liked him. And as far as the godmother goes, well, I liked her pretty much from the moment she stepped into the story. And by the end of the story...I was totally in love with them....

Heck, by the end of the story, I was in love with all of them.

The overall rating for the story itself...not speaking of the pictures, is a strong 4.5/5....But overall, the story and the pictures, it is a 5/5.

MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
This is a wonderful story about a young boy, Hugo, who lives in a train station and has only an automaton as a friend. Hugo is trying to fix the automaton using a book that his father left before he died. Hugo, having no money, steals the pieces he needs, but after trying to steal from a toymaker, he gets caught. After being taken in by the toymaker as an apprentice, they finally get the automaton working, This is a wonderfully illustrated story and while it s a daunting 533 pages, they are filled with images that enhance the words and create a world that is easily imagined. In a classroom setting I would have the students create their own automaton on paper and then as a group we would discuss the pros and cons of living in a trainstation. ( )
  hellwanger | Jul 7, 2014 |
In 1931, in a train station in Paris, an orphan boy named Hugo Cabret lives behind the clocks. Before his uncle disappeared, he was taught how to maintain the clocks in the station, and now that he is gone Hugo winds and services the clocks and steals just enough food to survive. Though things sound grim for Hugo, he has a secret hidden inside his little room, a wondrous piece of machinery that is unlike anything he has ever seen before.

I loved this book! The art is beautiful, and so richly detailed that I sometimes forgot what was happening because I spent so much time gazing at them. In fact, in the beginning after I hit the first page of text I went back to the beginning and flipped through it a 2nd time at a faster pace so I could keep track of what had actually happened.

The story itself is fantastic as well. The author does such a great job of inspiring a sense of wonder. Although the machines and technology are accurate to the time period, the book feels magical, which is how I imagine people must have felt at the time when experiencing such things for the first time.

I knew about all the hype going into this book, and I must say it lived up to my expectations. ( )
  Ape | Jun 28, 2014 |
A stunningly powerful and original work unlike anything I have ever read before. It alternates between straight printed text, like any conventional book and full double-page, wordless images. And it moves seamlessly between the two: a given chapter might begin with text but then continue the story with images (e.g., the text describes the character walking halfway across the station and then pictures show him walking across the other half). What makes this so effective is that it forces you to focus on both -- you can't rely on the images to illustrate the text or the text to expalain the images, both are seperate. And unlike a graphic novel where you can end up paying more attention to the words without fully appreciating the pictures, here all of the pictures cover the full two pages and demand your focus and attention.

This original medium is ideally suited to the setting and story, an orphan boy at the beginning of the 20th Century who lives in a hidden room in a Paris train station and tends the clocks. He is also busily trying to repair and automaton his dead father retrieved from the wreckage of a museum. His run in with the owner of a mechanical toy store begins a series of adventures and revelations about imagination, creativity and the birth of the cinema.

At 550 pages, it is praising the book to say that the it feels epic in scope but that it actually covers a small space, time and limited number of characters and incidents. But these are expanded out with minute the minute and careful attention, especially through the many pages of the book that are drawing. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Readers will pore over not only the illustrations, but also the words, which are rarely wasted and often contain real wisdom.

The story is an engaging meditation on fantasy, inventiveness, and a thrilling mystery in its own right. No knowledge of early cinema is necessary to enjoy it, but for those who do know just a little, the rewards are even greater.

The carefully selected details make Hugo Cabret feel like, well, a machine, full of tiny interlocking parts, built to fuel a curious child’s lifelong infatuation with wonder.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is full of magic ... for the child reader, for the adult reader, the film lover, the art lover, for anyone willing to give it a go. If you’re scared of the size or the concept, don’t be. Open your mind, pour Selznick’s creation in, and be reminded of the dream of childhood.

With The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the American illustrator/author Brian Selznick seems to have invented a new kind of book. It's at once a picture book, a graphic novel, a rattling good yarn and an engaging celebration of the early days of the cinema. All in black and white.

Selznick, Brianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Selznick, BrianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Hugo (2011IMDb)
For Remy Charlip and for David Serlin
From his perch behind the clock, Hugo could see everything.
Hugo felt sure that the note was going to answer all of his questions and tell him what to do now that he was alone. The note was going to save his life.
The coffee was hot, and as Hugo let it cool, he looked around the cavernous station at all the people rushing by with a thousand different places to go. When he saw them from above he always thought the travelers looked like cogs in an intricate, swirling machine. But up close, amid the bustle and the stampede, everything just seemed noisy and disconnected.
Hugo though about his father’s description of the automaton. “Did you ever notice that all machines are made for some reason?” he asked Isabelle. “They are built to make you laugh, like the mouse here, or to tell the time, like clocks, or to fill you with wonder, like the automaton. Maybe that’s why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn’t able to do what it was meant to do.”
“I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too.”
When you wind it up, it can do something I'm sure no other automaton in the world can do. It can tell you the incredible story of Georges Méliès, his wife, their goddaughter, and a beloved clock maker whose son grew up to be a magician.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439813786, Hardcover)

Book Description:
Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.

Amazon.com Exclusive

A Letter from Brian SelznickDear readers,

When I was a kid, two of my favorite books were by an amazing man named Remy Charlip. Fortunately and Thirteen fascinated me in part because, in both books, the very act of turning the pages plays a pivotal role in telling the story. Each turn reveals something new in a way that builds on the image on the previous page. Now that I’m an illustrator myself, I’ve often thought about this dramatic storytelling device and all of its creative possibilities.

My new book, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, is a 550 page novel in words and pictures. But unlike most novels, the images in my new book don't just illustrate the story; they help tell it. I've used the lessons I learned from Remy Charlip and other masters of the picture book to create something that is not a exactly a novel, not quite a picture book, not really a graphic novel, or a flip book or a movie, but a combination of all these things.

I began thinking about this book ten years ago after seeing some of the magical films of Georges Méliès, the father of science-fiction movies. But it wasn’t until I read a book called Edison's Eve: The Quest for Mechanical Life by Gaby Woods that my story began to come into focus. I discovered that Méliès had a collection of mechanical, wind-up figures (called automata) that were donated to a museum, but which were later destroyed and thrown away. Instantly, I imagined a boy discovering these broken, rusty machines in the garbage, stealing one and attempting to fix it. At that moment, Hugo Cabret was born.

A few years ago, I had the honor of meeting Remy Charlip, and I'm proud to say that we've become friends. Last December he was asking me what I was working on, and as I was describing this book to him, I realized that Remy looks exactly like Georges Méliès. I excitedly asked him to pose as the character in my book, and fortunately, he said yes. So every time you see Méliès in The Invention of Hugo Cabret, the person you are really looking at is my dear friend Remy Charlip, who continues to inspire everyone who has the great pleasure of knowing him or seeing his work.

Paris in the 1930's, a thief, a broken machine, a strange girl, a mean old man, and the secrets that tie them all together... Welcome to The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Yours,

Brian Selznick

Amazon.com Exclusive

Brian Selznick on a "Deleted Scene" from The Invention of Hugo CabretThis is a finished drawing that I had to cut from The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I was still rewriting the book when I had to begin the final art. There was originally a scene in the story where this character, Etienne, is working in a camera shop. On one of my research trips to Paris I spent an entire day visiting old camera shops and photographing cameras from the 1930's and earlier, as well as the facades of the shops themselves. I researched original French camera posters and made sure that the counter and the shelves were accurate to the time period. I did all the drawings in the book at 1/4 scale, so they were very small and I often had to use a magnifying glass to help me see what I was drawing. After I finished this drawing I continued to rewrite, and for various reasons I realized that I needed to move this scene from the camera shop to the French Film Academy, which meant that I had to cut this picture. I tried really hard to find ANOTHER moment when I could have Etienne in a camera shop, but, as painful as it was, I knew the picture had to go. I'm glad to see it up on the Amazon website because otherwise no one would have ever seen all those tiny cameras I researched and drew so carefully!

--Brian Selznick