Belle Chasse by Suzanne Johnson

PIRATE'S ALLEY left us at a pretty crazy and crucial point and it was torture having to wait until BELLE CHASSE was ready to find out what was going to happen.

BELLE CHASE didn't disappoint. DJ and some of her closest friends and allies are on the run. It was pretty neat to have most of the story take place in Old New Orleans—Old Barataria to be specific—and we even get to visit Faerie. It is always nice to get lost in Suzanne Johnson's stories. Her world building really brings it to life.

DJ's love life is anything but smooth. I have fallen a bit out of love with Alex and further in love with Jean Lafitte in the last few books, but I don't see anything happening there no matter how much I wish it so. I just don't feel like Alex has her back like he should and it pisses me off. I understand why he couldn't be with DJ in BELLE CHASSE, but I still didn't like it.

The struggles in BELLE CHASE didn't end without loss of life, friendships and control. I won't tell you who or what happens, but losses will be felt in future books and some things will never be the same.

BELLE CHASSE did a great job of wrapping up some story lines and setting others in motion. Relationships and allies were tested and found both lacking and sufficient. I was plenty entertained from front to back. I will be on the lookout for book six!

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Nov 7, 2016 |
DJ Jaco is on the run. She has lost her position as a wizard sentinel. She has taken refuge with her friend Jean Lafitte in his world on Grand Terre Island. An Elder that she formerly admired has become someone she can no longer respect. Elder Willem Zarkovi is in charge of the wizard council but he is woefully unprepared to deal with a world on the edge of war. When DJ refused to kill her friend Eugenie's unborn baby, she made Zarkovi look bad and he has been determined to get revenge ever since.

The preternaturals are on the verge of war. The wizards treaty with the elves is in danger of being broken. There is a war going on in faery between two brothers who each want to take the throne. The vampires are shifting sides to whoever they think is the strongest.

DJ has to deal with her mate Rand who happens to be an elf and the father of Eugenie's baby, Florian and Chrstoff the battling fae, Jean Lafitte who won't commit until he figures out which will be the winning side, and her own significant other Alex who is torn between loyalty to the wizard council and love for DJ.

This story was very entertaining. I love DJ's stubborn attitude and her own loyalty. I could sympathize with her as she was torn between her loyalty to the wizards and the clear threat that Zarkovi presented. I liked that she let her conscience be her guide and I liked that she learned where her bottom line was.

Fans of the Sentinels of New Orleans series won't want to miss this fifth adventure. I especially recommend this series for urban fantasy fans who enjoy Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse books or Chloe Neill's series set in New Orleans. ( )
  kmartin802 | Oct 31, 2016 |

A conclusion to the urban fantasy series set in post-Katrina New Orleans finds former wizard sentinel DJ Jaco struggling to keep the elven leader, Quin Randolph, focused on peace while rival princes battle for power in the leaderless Faerie world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,556,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible