Black Fire by Sonni Cooper

Honestly, even though I've only read a handful of Star Trek novels, this must be one of the best. It is a very early entry (#8 in the Timescape/Pocket book original series) and the author clearly gave us a treat. The characters in here rang very true and did so even in unconventional settings. Fans of Spock must love this book! Theodore Sturgeon, the great science fiction author who gave us the classic episode "Amok Time" writes a long and engaging introduction to the book and author. It is really too bad we didn't have more from Sonni Cooper.

The story set its hook from the first page and I'm not going to spoil the plot, except to say that Spock and Scotty "borrow" a starship and take it to the far side of the galaxy. Sound like an adventure? This story is full of twists and surprises. For those who like Star Trek novels or enjoyed the original series I'd say this was a must read. This would have made a great two-part episode of the original series. This also serves as a way to explain why the Enterprise of the original series looks a bit different in the first film. ( )
  RBeffa | Jul 19, 2016 |
Flawed, yes. Clearly an early entry in the franchise. But so much fun! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This was my favorite Star Trek book when I was a teenager. I read it and reread it constantly. I should re-read it as an adult and see if it still holds the same magic. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
An engaging but preposterous Star Trek story with several unbelievable events. Spock's investigation of a sabotage aboard the Enterprise leads him into an alliance with the Romulan and Klingon empires against the instigator race. Branded a traitor and imprisoned by the Federation, he later escapes, twice attempts suicide when the situation seems to call for it, and becomes a renegade space pirate. All is revealed to be well at the end in a scenario that probably certainly comes as no surprise to the astute reader. Fun read, though. ( )
2 vote burnit99 | Jan 5, 2007 |
I think this was the very first Star Trek book that i loved. You know those silly posters in school hallways 'bout how you make friends in books? Well, in 1983, i was 10, and i think my life-long love affair with Vulcans began right here :).

The best books make well-developed characters step out of their comfort zones, and the best authors walk the narrow ledge of keeping them in-character in uncharacteristic situations. And there is nothing quite as challenging or as entertaining in the Trek Universe as pushing Vulcans to their limits. How marvelous that all of this comes together here. Spock is declared a traitor, banished from Starfleet, and has to develop an alliance with dangerous and unsavory people to survive. Kirk is not a major player in this well-told tale, which is pushing the reader out of a comfort zone, too.

Lovely all around. One i repeatedly wished would have been made into a movie. But then I'm certain i would have said that the book was better, anyway. ( )
1 vote Llewlyn | Jan 3, 2007 |
For Theodore Sturgeon,
my mentor and a loving friend
"Oh, my God," Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott shouted as he was hurled against a bulkhead as the ship lurched, and his eardrums resonated painfully as the sound of a massive explosion echoed throughout.

SPOCK A TRAITOR?

There is sabotage aboard the Enterprise, and Spock's investigation leads him into defiance of the Federation and a bizarre alliance with the Romulan and Klingon Empires against the bloodthirsty Tomarii -- a savage race for whom war and battle are life itself.

Now Spock has been declared a traitor and condemned to the shame of the Federation's highest security prison. And now Captain James Kirk must face the toughest decision of his command, while a lifelong friendship and the destiny of the free universe hang in the balance!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:11 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,979,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible