Component Training for Tdx by Ed Presnall

Component Training for Tdx

by Ed Presnall

312,001,085 (3)None
Recently added byKylaS

If I had to read the word "component" one more time, I might have gagged. Of course many of us were training skill sets before Ed P. decided to coin the phrase "Component Training".
I disagreed with several points in this book - just like any two dog trainers will disagree on any training plan. He suggests running most tracks "blind" in order to learn to read the dog. My experience is different from Ed's - I am able to work a known track and allow the dog to make little mistakes which I can learn to read. His premise is that working known tracks you never learn to read your dog. I say just the opposite - you learn to read the dog's indications sooner because you know exactly when they've stepped out of the footprints. I do believe people should have experience running blind tracks before testing, but know that other trainers disagree with both of us.
Also, the premise that using food on the track will cause the dog to seek out every piece of garbage, etc. There are countless successful tracking trainers who successfully use food on track in their training program. Yes, you do have to wean off food, but motivation of the dog is the most important and if the TRACK can reward the dog - so much the better. I do agree that building drive for articles is a good thing.
Readers looking for a training plan will not find one in this book - as Ed himself states. And that is probably a good thing. TDX training requires thought, and a trainer who is willing to see the elements that need to be taught, and be willing to break things down into skill levels.
My hope is that readers will realize that although he coined a phrase, Ed is not the inventor of this type of training.
Off to work road crossings with my TDX hopeful...

KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,515,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible