Cosmic Trigger II: Down to Earth by Robert…

Cosmic Trigger II: Down to Earth (1991)

by Robert A. Wilson

My Life With the Spirits by Lon Milo DuQuette (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: anecdotal autobiography that defies consensus reality

My reaction to reading this book in 2004.

I liked this book even more than Cosmic Trigger: The Final Secret of the Illuminati.

Whereas that book was built around Wilson’s speculation that he received messages from a source around the star Sirius, this book is more wide ranging though, like its predecessors, it mixes in plenty of autobiography which reveals Wilson to be well grounded in all sorts of areas from math and physics to myth and religion to literature.

It is not built around a central mystic revelation. Rather its philosophical crux is shown in to statements: “Never believe totally in somebody else’s BS. ... Never believe totally in your own BS.” (BS here is pun on belief system and bullshit.) Throughout the book, Wilson touches on the scientific (mostly relativity and quantum physics), linguistic including General Semantics, and philosophy that supports his eternal rejection of either/or logic for maybe and variant maps, or, to use Timothy Leary’s phrase that he is fond of, “reality tunnels”, of existence.

In fact, this book delves far less into mystical, religious, and occult systems than its predecessors. The autobiographical details show Wilson to have been quite a precocious youth though a late bloomer as a writer. For the odd happenings in this book, we have detailing of the Calvi/Vatican Bank/P2/Sovereign Military Order of Malta conspiracy. Taking a cue from Wilson himself, I certainly don’t accept his pacifistic notions or his vehement attacks on the first President Bush and the First Gulf War, and his thought that linking the electrical grids of the world would help foster peace through better living seems technologically naïve. He also repeats some silly shibboleths like Costa Rica’s health care being better than America’s. Based on what? Life expectancy? If so, I suspect America’s figures are skewed by violence and AIDS.

Still, I find Wilson worth reading for his take on the world and the cautions of his anti-dogmatism and rejection of grand paradigms. ( )
1 vote RandyStafford | Mar 17, 2014 |
I enjoyed the first one so much that I had gobbled down this one as soon as I could find it. ( )
  Big_Rocco | May 16, 2007 |

While this, the second volume of the Cosmic Trigger trilogy, continues along the path set by the original Cosmic Trigger I: Final Secret of the Illuminati, it also stands solidly on its own. Any reader with an open mind and a sense of humor cannot help but be entertained and enlightened while following Wilson's explorations into such subjects as the future of cyberspace; the peculiarities of Irish jurisprudence; links among the Mafia, the CIA and the Catholic Church; anal-eroticism in The White House; the Dog Castrator of Palm Springs; and many more observations from his infinitely fertile brain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,755,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible