RoomHate by Penelope Ward

RoomHate

by Penelope Ward

so unexpected it had me try to rap my head around it the whole time ( )
  cupcakeclark | Aug 15, 2017 |
So many good parts. I also loved hearing the epi from Justin's POV. ( )
  tiffsaddictiontobook | Jul 18, 2017 |
Amelia Payne is a schoolteacher working in Providence, RI when her beloved grandmother, Nana, passes away and wills half ownership of her Newport beach house to her as an inheritance. The other half is left to Justin Banks, Amelia's childhood best friend. Justin now works for a software company and also sings and plays acoustic guitar at various gigs in New York City. His singing career is just starting to really take off, as he has a beautiful voice, a great talent, and massive charisma that draws people in.

When they were kids, Justin was the best friend anyone could ask for. He was always there for Amelia, protecting her from embarrassment or dangerous situations. They helped each other by giving each other a place to go when they needed to get away from their own dysfunctional families. When they were in their teens, their feelings started to change, but they hadn't reached the point of admitting them to each other before a misunderstanding occurred and Amelia suddenly moved away and refused any contact with him. Amelia's later attempts to reconcile their friendship were ignored. The two have now been estranged for over 10 years. Amelia's impulsive actions caused an extreme shift in Justin's behavior and personality.

This is where my problem lies with this story. He became such an incredible jerk (putting it kindly--insert a more choice word selection) that, for me, it ruined the inevitable happy ending to their story. His rudeness and crass behavior went so beyond the pale that it actually made me angry. I know there are all types of people in the world and all types of people who love them, but I thought this was a poor example to people of just accepting dominance motivated by anger. People are worth more than this and deserve better treatment.

I really liked the concept of the book, the early friendship and how mature Justin was as a child. I wish we could have seen more of that maturity when he was an adult. Yes, he was hot and their chemistry was high, the slow burn and build-up before they actually got together was effective. Unfortunately, his bluntness when telling her she looked like a whore when she would get dressed up and his vulgarity when meeting Amelia's friends for the first, and subsequent, times was so over the top and crass that I had a hard time falling for the guy. If Amelia had woken up or grown up herself, this relationship would not have happened. We did see growth in Justin at the very end, but by then my opinion of him was already ruined.

I do have to say, however, that this does represent the "New Adult" genre very well in highlighting all the ups and downs of relationships, the temporary willingness to put up with being treated poorly, and ever-changing emotions that people in their 20s often experience. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Apr 29, 2017 |
I did not like how long it took them to get together. My favorite scenes are the ones with Justin and Bea i pretty much fell in love with Justin during the hospital scene when he claimed Bea as his daughter
Justin: Blood doesn’t make someone a father anyway. What makes me her father is that she chose me. She owned me from the moment she first smiled at me. And while that used to scare the shit out of me, I couldn’t imagine life without her now.
so beautiful overall i really enjoyed the story.

mhelissa26 | Mar 8, 2017 |
HOLY WOW!!! I feel like I have been saying this for every book that Ms. Ward writes. She sucks me right in and holds me until the very last word. RoomHate touched every emotion from laughing to crying and hope to hate. When a book does all that you know it is awesome.

Justin and Amelia start out as friends, the best of friends that grow until tragedy strikes and they are torn apart. They live their separate lives and make what they believe are happy choices for themselves until one day they are thrown back together. It is then that the emotions of the past emerge and reality sets in.

While being forces to face the past, and live in the present can they get through the hardest decision that tore them apart so many years ago? Will their love be enough? The tears of happiness and sadness were so worth getting to the end of this story. The fight for what they truly want is amazing. The feelings come right off the pages and into your heart as you read. I wish there were more than stars and more than 5… I would give this book 10 HEARTS for breaking mine and putting it back together!! BRAVO Ms. Ward!!!
  pcorrea3 | Dec 19, 2016 |

Penelope Wardprimary authorall editionscalculated
McKay, ZoeReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Press, InsatiablePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

From New York Times Bestselling Author, Penelope Ward, comes a new standalone novel. Sharing a summer house with a hot-as-hell roommate should be a dream come true, right? Not when it's Justin...the only person I'd ever loved...who now hates me. When my grandmother died and left me half of the house on Aquidneck Island, there was a catch: the other half would go to the boy she helped raise. The same boy who turned into the teenager whose heart I broke years ago. The same teenager who's now a man with a hard body and a hardass personality to match. I hadn't seen him in years, and now we're living together because neither one of us is willing to give up the house. The worst part? He didn't come alone. I'd soon realize there's a thin line between love and hate. I could see through that smug smile. Beneath it all...the boy is still there. So is our connection. The problem is...now that I can't have Justin, I've never wanted him more. Author's note - RoomHate is a full-length standalone novel. Due to strong language and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,499,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible