Murder in the Museum by John Rowland

Murder in the Museum (1938)

by John Rowland

I enjoyed this book. A mild-mannered, shy man who lives with his sister and longs for an exciting life while working as a librarian at the British Museum discovers a dead man in the reading room. The police are called and it's murder. While telling his sister that evening about the interesting day he had, she recalls a similar murder 6 months ago and he decides to tell the inspector and insert himself into the case and help. ( )
  Kathy89 | Oct 18, 2016 |
The victim of the Murder in the Museum is a Shakespeare scholar, who held a theory that "Shakespeare’s plays were written by two people together— one was Shakespeare himself and the other Kit Marlowe". So obviously I was pleased when he was killed. At least he wasn't an Oxfordian; I would have had to stop reading, because the death wasn't brutal enough.

This is a reissue of a Golden Age mystery which involves poison, kidnapping, and a cross-country high-for-its-time-speed pursuit; it features some of the good aspects of the subgenre – a clever detective, some nice writing; and also several of the not-so-good ones – like the mores and mindset of the time, which means that whenever someone who is Jewish comes on the scene or is spoken about, it's jarring. (Be warned.)

I'm not sure if I'll hunt out more John Rowland novels – this one didn't win me over completely – but I'm certainly not sorry I read it. There's much worse out there. Much.

The usual disclaimer: I received this book via Netgalley for review. ( )
  Stewartry | Aug 10, 2016 |
Yet another in the British Library series and another great one from John Rowland.
Keep them coming!
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Poisoned Pen Press via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Mar 16, 2016 |

When Professor Julius Arnell breathes his last in the hushed atmosphere of the British Museum Reading Room, it looks like death from natural causes. Who, after all, would have cause to murder a retired academic whose life was devoted to Elizabethan literature? Inspector Shelley's suspicions are aroused when he finds a packet of poisoned sugared almonds in the dead man's pocket; and a motive becomes clearer when he discovers Arnell's connection to a Texan oil millionaire. Soon another man plunges hundreds of feet into a reservoir on a Yorkshire moor. What can be the connection between two deaths so different, and so widely separated? The mild-mannered museum visitor Henry Fairhurst adds his detective talents to Inspector Shelley's own, and together they set about solving one of the most baffling cases Shelley has ever encountered.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible